Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > TC Liveblogs The Grammys

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart If you're on TC and watching the Grammys, let's talk about it here! If not, we can just talk about it Monday morning, no big deal.

message 2: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I didn't know that the Grammys were tonight until an hour ago

message 3: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I am not liking this opening performance. Usually they save the tributes for the end/middle, but they're opening with the Aretha Franklin tribute. Xtina, Yolanda Adams, Martina McBride, skinny Jennifer Hudson, and Florence Welch singing Aretha's greatest hits.

It's 5 minutes too long.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i'm watching the Hammy's. it's the pork producers award show

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments porky pig is up for everything

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments tough break for them. porky hogs everything

message 7: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart MUSE! MUSE! MUSE!!!!!!!!

My suitemates don't understand why I just ran yelling up and down the hall, but I do. Awesome performance.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments just retweeted britt.....

message 9: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I saw! Thanks!

message 10: by Joe (new)

Joe (attometer) I just turned it on in time to catch Cee Lo Green. That was rather bizarre with the Roman gladiator/Big Bird costume combo.

message 11: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Britt, I would love to chat and I am commenting via FB, but I am 2 hrs behind you! I did watch E's red carpet and some of the dresses were just fabulous! I thought Christina Aguilera butchered the song...WAY TOO MANY runs!

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I don't have tv and I don't think about pop music much without the constant company of teenagers or young 20-ers, but I will say that this thread title makes me think of a group of blue hairs sittin' around, knittin' and chattin'.
I will enjoy looking at pictures of/discussion fashion choices when they're published tomorrow.
Or are they already out?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24110 comments Mod
Red carpet slideshow.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/0...

Snooki looks compressed. Are those Rihanna's nipples?

I'm not impressed, with any of it.

message 14: by Michele (last edited Feb 14, 2011 06:05AM) (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I was not impressed with Muse. Other British bands have done it better. OK song. but just OK, not great. Queen did this kind of music much better. Sigh, Dylan should just give up singing...his voice (which was never great to start with) is entirely gone now. Streisand is losing hers as well, so sad she has lost her range. I enjoyed Lady Antebellum and Eminem/Rihanna: that is one powerful song. I got a kick out of the Justin Bieber,Jaden Smith duet. I enjoyed the guy who did the Motown bit. I found Lady Gaga to be imitative of Madonna. A little too artificial for my tastes. Flo and the Machine were robbed. Mick Jagger did Mick Jagger and has slowed down just a little.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lady Gaga's dress, brought to you by Trojan...

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I LOVE MUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went around yelling and screaming when they performed! And I shouted the lyrics to my tv!

What about Arcade Fire, huh? I'm so glad they won Album of the Year, but twitter was like, "WHO THE FUCK IS ARCADE FIRE?" The Suburbs is pretty good, I think.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i'm watching the Hammy's. it's the pork producers award show"

is jon hamm attending?

message 18: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Jon Hamm's John ham

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments yes, he should have at least been nominated for that for the hammy's.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Arcade Fire? We fast-forwarded that part. We just weren't getting it.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I watched a good part of it, for the first time in years. I have no idea why. My observations:

-I didn't know Florence from Florence & the Machine had that good of a voice. She held her own nicely, and better yet, didn't get all fluttery around the notes like Christina A.

-I appreciate the sentiment of Lady Gaga's new song, but it is a complete and total ripoff of Madonna's Express Yourself. Same melody. Some of her other songs have been somewhat reminiscent of others, but this one is blatant.

-I loved Cee Lo's Elton John tribute. I wish Gwyneth Paltrow didn't have to join him.

-Muse was good and I do dig the song, but the performance was a little by-the-book, and the fake uprising in front of them was a little weird. I liked the cool blocks above and below them.

-I know exactly how stoked Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers were to be playing friggin' Maggie's Farm with Dylan, and I was stoked for them.

-I liked the retro soul thing that Bruno Mars did. He can also apparently play the drums with enthusiasm. Lots of crash cymbals. The other guy - B.O.B.? - appeared to be strumming a guitar that was not plugged into a wireless pack or a cord.

-Bieber was actually not awful but that intro to it with Usher was embarrassing. And why does Jaden Smith get to rap on the Grammys? He's cute and precocious but he can't rap and couldn't hold a tune. The acrobats on stage with Bieber were fantastic.

-Usher looked lost without his sunglasses.

-Lady Antebellum is one boring band.

-I heard that Mick Jagger did an awesome tribute to Solomon Burke but I missed it. Will Youtube later.

-I have no idea who won most of the awards and I don't care.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Michele wrote: "Sigh, Dylan should just give up singing...his voice (which was never great to start with) is entirely gone now. "

I agree, his voice sounded rough, but I thought it was a really powerful performance and the roughness didn't bother me. It was nice to see him out there with no guitar and looking like he was having fun and it was a nice bonus to be able to understand the words!

message 23: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Can Gaga address the "Express Yourself" accusations? 'cause I want to know if she did it ironically? But I don't think so.

message 24: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:49AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments iBritt wrote: "Can Gaga address the "Express Yourself" accusations? 'cause I want to know if she did it ironically? But I don't think so."

The fact that we're able to slot Madonna, Gaga, ripoff, and ironic into the same discussion is all the evidence you'll ever need that humankind - as we know it - has an expiration date.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments iBritt wrote: "Can Gaga address the "Express Yourself" accusations? 'cause I want to know if she did it ironically? But I don't think so."

It would be awesome if she'd just stand up and say that. Her costume kind of looked like Madonna's Gaulthier stuff if it were actually grafted to her body, and the style of the dance was also similar to Madonna's choreography of that era. Not to mention the theme of the song. So just say "I updated it" and offer to share the royalties.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Apr 07, 2011 08:29AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The Grammys just changed up the categories for next year: no more male and female divisions, and a few other things have been smooshed together. Contemporary and trad folk have merged, and there are no more categories for Hawaiian or Native American or zydeco. I'm all for the changes to the big categories, but I feel a little bad for the small categories.

http://www.grammy.org/recording-acade...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.