Irish Readers discussion

What are you currently reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dem (new)

Dem I am currently reading Scissors Paper Stone by Elizabeth Day, was a recommendation by a friend and its quite interesting so far. Just interested to see what other members are currently reading. Scissors, Paper, Stone by Elizabeth Day

message 2: by Dem (new)

Dem Thats one for my Shelf! Dawn French's Book, I dont read much autobiographies but think her book would make an interesting read.

message 3: by Tyas (new)

Tyas Effendi (tyas_effendi) | 8 comments Hi, Dem and Vicki!I am currently reading The Einstein Girl by Philip Sington. Wow, that's a good book. A story about the love of genius Einstein. The number one thriller history I ever read.

message 4: by Tyas (new)

Tyas Effendi (tyas_effendi) | 8 comments Hi, Dem and Vicki!I am currently reading The Einstein Girl by Philip Sington. Wow, that's a good book. A story about the love of genius Einstein. The number one thriller history I ever read.

message 5: by Tyas (new)

Tyas Effendi (tyas_effendi) | 8 comments Right, you should try to read it :)

message 6: by Kerrie (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:55AM) (new)

Kerrie O'Neill (kerrie0) I'm reading Nineteen Eighty Four atm :)1984

message 7: by Mark (last edited Feb 18, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Mark | 4 comments Im reading 2, my current non fiction is What They Teach You at Harvard Business School and my fiction is Memoirs of a Survivor.

1984 is great, have you read Brave New World yet?

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2011 04:55AM) (new)

I'm reading Solar can't say I'm enjoying it but I'm in a real life book club in Wexford and this is one of their reads for this month. We ususally do 2 books a month the other book was When We Were Badwhich was absolute drivel.

message 9: by Dem (last edited Feb 23, 2011 08:24AM) (new)

Dem Just finished Russian winter and loved it a real page turner, I had looked at solar but think will pass on it now as a few people have said the same as Starsam.Russian Winter

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) reading Anita Shreve - All He Ever Wanted
All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve
Anne Enright - The Gathering
The Gathering by Anne Enright
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
hi Starsam - finished Solar recently - so so

message 11: by Keith (last edited Feb 23, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) I'm trying to finish the huge amount of books that I have only half read on my shelf. Haha!

Have just finished A Clash of Kings, and I'm now going to finish The Field of Swords.

After that its up to the book club! :)

Hope you're enjoying 1984 Kerrie. I thought it was awesome!!!!!!!!!

message 12: by Dem (new)

Dem Hoping to start The Memory Keepers Daughter, Anyone read that book? have put off reading it until now. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

message 13: by memoirsofgeisha (new)

memoirsofgeisha (shellybelly33) | 8 comments Currently reading Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor.

message 14: by memoirsofgeisha (new)

memoirsofgeisha (shellybelly33) | 8 comments Dem wrote: "Hoping to start The Memory Keepers Daughter, Anyone read that book? have put off reading it until now.The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards"

Recently read this for my Book Club, worth reading and really enjoyed. I think it was made into a movie might check it out:)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading Ghost light the day before yesterday. I've really enjoyed it so far. I'll have it finished this evening. I think it'll appeal to everyone who liked The Secret Scripture.

message 16: by Dem (last edited Feb 27, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Dem Tyas wrote: "Hi, Dem and Vicki!I am currently reading The Einstein Girl by Philip Sington. Wow, that's a good book. A story about the love of genius Einstein. The number one thriller history I ever read."

I picked up The Einstein Girl by Philip Sington at chapters bookshop as per Tyas so its on my to read list!! Het Einstein meisje by Philip Sington

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison Killilea (alikats) | 6 comments Currently flooded with college reading:

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
Murphy - Beckett
Paradise Lost - Milton

Must also read The Last September - Elizabeth Bowen

I'm also barely getting any time to read Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished A Picture of Dorian Gray. I really enjoyed it. I got the recommendation from this group. I'm just starting Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. I that recommendation from sci-fi group. Hopefully it lives up to expectation.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Vicki wrote: "I just finished the alchemist from Paulo Ceolo, dont know what to make of it. Its the first book I've read belong to him, still trying to make a decision on it. I gave it 3 stars because I get the ..."

Sometimes when the writer is trying to convey a message, the story gets lost. I've read so many books that just lose their way. Some were by my favourite authors. If had I read those books first I would have never read any others by that writer.

message 20: by Dem (last edited Feb 28, 2011 03:44PM) (new)

Dem Just starting Mornings in Jenin Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa its been getting great reviews so will see how it goes.

message 21: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Finished The Field of Swords Vicki. Have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two books. Couldn't warm to Julius's character as much as in previous books.

I'll still finish the series though. Have moved on to The Graveyard Book now. Its a kids book by Neil Gaimen, but being Gaimen, it has a lot to offer to adults too, especially parents or "soon to be" parents like myself.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished Room- glad we didn't pick this for the March read as I found it boring.

Have just ordered One Dayfrom Amazon, hopefully will have it by Friday so can get started.

message 23: by Dem (new)

Dem Just finished Mornings in Jenin Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa this is an amazing read about an ordinary Palestinian family before, during and since the creation of the state of Israel, its a story simply told that will leave a huge impact. A Great Read.

message 24: by Dem (new)

Dem Vicki wrote: "memoirsofgeisha wrote: "Dem wrote: "Hoping to start The Memory Keepers Daughter, Anyone read that book? have put off reading it until now.The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards"

Recently..."
I did Vicki and having started it realised I had read it in 2009 but read it again anyhow !!!! obviously did not leave a lasting impression first time. However it is an interesting read although I never passed it on to friends which is reason it was still on my book shelf. Will be interested to see what you think.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I started Roddy Doyle's 'Oh, Play That Thing!'
It started very promisingly, so I have high hopes for it. It's the follow up to A Star Called Henry, which I really enjoyed and recommend.

message 26: by Dem (last edited Mar 07, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Dem Have just started Einstein Girl
The Einstein Girl by Philip Sington as per Member Tya's recommendation, am about 70 pages into book and it has started off great and has me hooked so far, hopefully it continues to do so.

message 27: by Dem (new)

Dem Vicki wrote: "Oh great Dem, i picked it up during the week also, thats great to hear. I have 5 of the Jean M Auel's to get through first though." Well you have lots to be getting on with so Vicki! But I love to have a line up of books too and depending on my book mood will pick from them what best suits that mood.

message 28: by Dem (new)

Dem Vicki wrote: "I keep picking them up for a euro and the pile is getting bigger and bigger, My little sister was here last week and she counted 76 lined up. Im not going to buy any during lent only the one we cho..."
Wow Vicki! Thats a pile of books! Happy reading!

message 29: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) just starting into The Fry Chronicles... it's been on my to-read list since before it was published so high expectations.
anyone read it?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Vicki. Since the Buying books thread I've been buying books left right and centre. I've been checking out flea markets every time I pass one. I have a pile of about twenty at the moment. I'll have to stop soon.

@ Andy. I can't wait to hear what you make of it. I'm a huge Stephen Fry fan.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

She might have a point. I feel like I'm getting OCD.

message 32: by Dem (new)

Dem I am laughing as went to lunch and came back to a delivery of 3 books, The Bronze Horseman Gorky Parkand The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle Eastand was so excited!!! LOL

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

It's contagious, isn't it? It must be an addiction.

Righto! I'm not buying any more books for lent.

message 34: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments memoirsofgeisha wrote: "Currently reading Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor."

Dem wrote: "Hoping to start The Memory Keepers Daughter, Anyone read that book? have put off reading it until now.The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards"

message 35: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments memoirsofgeisha wrote: "Currently reading Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor."

memoirsofgeisha wrote: "Currently reading Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor."

Dem wrote: "Hoping to start The Memory Keepers Daughter, Anyone read that book? have put off reading it until now.The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards"
I finished Ghost light a month ago. I thought it was worth it. Loved learning about Synge and found the love story fantastic. O'Connor is without a doubt outstanding.

message 36: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) memoirsofgeisha wrote: "Currently reading Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor."

I really enjoyed that. More so that I never would have bought it myself, and I didn't think I'd like it. I usually prefer more contemporary books. Which is obviously why book clubs are good. That was one on the Irish Times online book club.

After discovering that I could enjoy books set in ye olden times I went on to read Little Stranger which I also really liked.

message 37: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments I am having a lot of fun discovering Irish authors! We don't get many of them in the US. I mean, I am sure that they are there, but we end up reading american best sellers mostly. I also enjoyed Brooklyn-- Will take a look at Little Stranger... I signed up for the 50 books challenge now I must find what to read. I promised myself I was going to read at least 12 Irish authors this year. Does Joyce count for three?

message 38: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami atm. After reading The Hunger Games, I thought it sounded similar to Battle Royale which I hadn't read before but had heard about it and the film. So I tracked a copy down and I'm loving it. Much better than hunger games imo; it's a much smarter and better written book. Looks like Suzanne Collins might have ripped off BR quite a bit when writing Hunger Games....
Hoping to finish it up tomorrow.

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Tayto; I tried to find Battle Royale after finishing The Hunger Games too... I failed though! Well I only looked on Kindle but still... Damn, now I think I should have tried harder. It sounds better than the hunger games, a lot nastier though!

message 40: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments Have read Into the Woods and liked it. I bought all her other books. Also read Dublin 4 which I found appropriate since I was moving into Dublin 6. I will look for Alex Barclay. Thanks.

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul (taytothief) Katie wrote: "Tayto; I tried to find Battle Royale after finishing The Hunger Games too... I failed though! Well I only looked on Kindle but still... Damn, now I think I should have tried harder. It sounds bette..."

Yeah, you should try to track it down if you liked Hunger Games. It is a bit gorier, there is a lot more instances of the darker side of human nature; but I think it's a book more aimed at adults than YA. TBH, I think I hate Hunger Games after reading BR!

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber (bambles) | 10 comments Kerrie wrote: "I'm reading Nineteen Eighty Four atm :)1984"

Hey, Kerrie just say that you said you were reading 1984. I'm reading it at the moment and to be honest the first 200 or so pages didn't really do anything for me. While it's getting a little bit better towards the end, it won't be going on my favourite's shelf. Would love to get someone elses opinion on it.:)

message 43: by John (new)

John Braine (trontsephore) I've just started When God Was a Rabbit (Audiobook) and really liking it already. I have a long reading list like everyone but when it comes to buying my next book, more often then not, I buy something not on the list and instead buy something I've just recently read a review of.

On the Kindle app, for bedtime reading I've been reading All the Pretty Horses but I'm finding it hard to get into, mostly because I'm conking out after one page every night and not really reading it during the day.

Light-hearted read in my bag, The Miseducation Years--Ross O'Carroll-Kelly (Paperback). Not being read too often. For those times in public places when I want to have a read but would feel like a knob whipping out my iPad or listening to an audiobook.

message 44: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments You guys are reading way to many things!!! I am feeling left behind. I will be catching up. Along with Ulysses I am reading a book in french La Rebelle, about the french invasion in the Island of Corsica. The corsican experience in 1880's is so similar to Ireland and what happened here with the English it is uncanny. Even the starvation... all the good food was shipped out to France while the corsicans where starving! The option was leaving for America! That is how we got there. I am 3/4 Corsican 1/4 spanish and there is and 1/8 in there Irish.... ( One of my corsican great grandfathers married Mary Delancy from Dublin we believe an "Irish" Huguenot) I am sure you guys wanted to know this about me... he he he

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Ha Mae, even your Irish 1/8 is a bit French! :)

message 46: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments I know!!!! And I was brought up not too like them too much! Such is the life of Colonialized. Puertorican, Corsican, Catalan and Huguenot... well at least I am not Vasque like my children and husband.

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Vasque?? I just googled it and all Google will give me is hiking boots! Was that a typo, Basque maybe??

message 48: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments oops is Spanish it is spelled Vascos... sorry it is Basque. Spanish is my native language, so often you will see strange typos in my writing.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments No t currently reading anything at the minute but I am heading to Romania for a week in April so i plan n bringing one or two books with me... I think i'm gonna get a Game of Thrones and Whatever we agree on for out April read... How's that Poll going ??

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Hey Vicki one of the girls in work just lent me The Clan of the Cave Bear ?? Did you read this did you think it was any good ?

« previous 1