Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Pre-ISBN books not quite matching

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments I've been entering some of my older books, and find some where what I find on a search is what looks like the right book but the publisher or publications date is wrong or the cover is missing. I have entered some as new books, but some are new editions of books already in and some are corrections and I'm not sure how to do that. Example:"The Personality of the Horse, edited by Brandt Aymar and Edward Sagarin. Bonanza Books, a
division of Crown Publishers. 1963, illustrations by various artists including Picasso. LCC 63-12064
You list it with ISBN 0517037858 but Published December 12th 1988 by Gramercy and with Picasso and Remington as artists. (Some of their works are included, but they should no more be listed than the authors of the short stories and poetry.) Also, Alymar and Sagarin are reversed in the current listing, which I suspect should be shown as a reprinting, and the cover is different. I can scan my cover of the 1963 book once my scanner is talking to my computer again. At http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33195... for old verion; my addition is http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10.... Mine is the original publication; yours should be marked as a later edition or republication but I don't know how.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments "I've been entering some of my older books, and find some where what I find on a search is what looks like the right book but the publisher or publications date is wrong or the cover is missing. I have entered some as new books, but some are new editions of books already in and some are corrections and I'm not sure how to do that."

To create a new edition of an existing book, simply enter the new edition as if you were entering a new book, then combine the record you just created with the other editions of that book. To combine editions of books, click on "combine" in the "other editions" box on the book page (or on "combine editions" in the "books" section of the author's page), select the editions of the same book, and click the combine button. This will set the two records as editions of the same book (and will set the publication date of the earliest one as the original publication date for the book as a whole, unless you manually change it).

Unless you're sure that you have the exact same edition (which can be hard to determine for preISBN books!) it's generally safest to create a new edition rather than changing the existing one. Many books have been through many editions with different publishers, dates, page counts, etc.

"Some of their works are included, but they should no more be listed than the authors of the short stories and poetry."

Actually, when the information is available we do list all of the contributors to anthologies. They're listed with appropriate author roles such as "Illustrator" or "Contributor" to make it clear what they've contributed. I think the limit to the number of contributors is 30, possibly 50; if there are any that you'd like to add from your book, that would be great, but it's not required. (If you add a contributor as an author, the book will be linked from that author's page so that people who are looking for stories or art by that person can find this book.)

I think you have the wrong link for the existing edition -- do you mean this book?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33...

I actually took a look at it earlier when you mentioned it and found that the order of the editors had been reversed. To combine editions, the first author (or editor in an author slot) needs to be the same for each edition, so this could have been the one case in which an edition's record would not match exactly to the book in hand, when it was necessary to change the order of the authors to allow the editions to combine; however, in this case, it sounds like Brandt Aymar should be listed first for both editions, so it shouldn't be a problem here, thank goodness!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments Thanks. I tried combining the two editions; suspect I'll have to wait a bit and see if it worked.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Mine is the original publication; yours should be marked as a later edition or republication but I don't know how.

Sue, the publication date is sufficient to let people know which is an earlier and which a later edition.