Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat > Gift Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Hi all,

I'm starting a thread on gift suggestions, as I think this would be a great resource for anyone looking for gift ideas.

For me, books are always a great gift idea, but to make things special, maybe get a vintage book, or a book signed by the author. In one L.M. Montgomery short story, a young girl who was short on cash gave her teacher one of her most treasured books for Christmas, a book that used to belong to her father.

Another idea I once used for my nieces was that I gave them all identical rings for Christmas (except that each of the rings had their birth stone).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the rings for your nieces! That was really sweet.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "I like the rings for your nieces! That was really sweet."

They liked it, and the rings were very easy to transport to Germany, not as heavy as books or toys.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, I loved birthstone rings as a kid. One of my most treasured gifts was a sapphire ring I got the Christmas I was 9! And books of course!

Thanks for starting this thread, Gundula! I think it's going to be a useful resource for all our members.

message 5: by Brenda (last edited Feb 09, 2011 07:29PM) (new)

Brenda | 286 comments Thanks for starting the thread. I remember getting a mood ring as a kid lots of fun.

message 6: by Jasja (new)

Jasja | 19 comments I also love books as gifts, but unfortunately not everybody I know likes to read...

I also like to give nice food / drinks accesories. One of my favourite stores to shop at for gifts is called oil & vinegar and they have wonderful things.

For those who have a bathtub, I like shopping at Lush.

Another thing I like to give as a gift (usually the extra little gift) is a little buddha figurine, because it is supposed to bring good luck when you get it as a gift :-) .

message 7: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Eclipse wrote: "I also love books as gifts, but unfortunately not everybody I know likes to read...

I also like to give nice food / drinks accesories. One of my favourite stores to shop at for gifts is called ..."

I miss shopping at Lush, the Hamilton area does not seem to have any stores, and I don't really like shopping online, except for books.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments I have given book journals to my reading friends, and they have loved them. The one I've given used to be found at Barnes and Noble, but I now have to order it off of Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/What-Read-Red-M...

Also, I think gift cards from book stores are wonderful to give and receive, lets people have the great experience of roaming the book store and picking out what they want.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Kathy wrote: "Also, I think gift cards from book stores are wonderful to give and receive, lets people have the great experience of roaming the book store and picking out what they want. "

Yeah, double good gift: books and shopping for/choosing their own books. I love getting bookstore gift cards. And books.

message 10: by Jaye (new)

Jaye http://www.csnoffice.com/asp/show_det...
(the link is off Amazon)
I have this "study stand" which I use to read while having supper. A few times I used it to display things.
It's a much sturdier build than another type I got many years ago.
I think it would make a great gift.
It's on sale now at less than I paid 2 years ago.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Eclipse wrote: "I also love books as gifts, but unfortunately not everybody I know likes to read...

I also like to give nice food / drinks accesories. One of my favourite stores to shop at for gifts is called ..."

Eclipse -- I live in Los Angeles and someone gave me some 'bath bombs' from a store called Lush! I LOVE them. I figure it must be the same store....?

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Diane D. wrote: "Eclipse wrote: "I also love books as gifts, but unfortunately not everybody I know likes to read...

I also like to give nice food / drinks accesories. One of my favourite stores to shop at for ..."

I'm sure it's the same store, Lush bath bombs are the best. Lush also has stores in many airports. I wonder, if you buy bath bombs there, would calling them bath bombs get you in trouble at security?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Gundula! That was a groaner! lol

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "Oh, Gundula! That was a groaner! lol"

I'm in a weird mood this morning, and I wish I had some bath bombs (it's pouring rain, and we're supposed to get freezing rain tonight, yuck).

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) LOL Gundula, about the bath bombs!! Nowadays, yes, I'm sure you could never take a Lush bath bomb on board!

message 16: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Diane D. wrote: "LOL Gundula, about the bath bombs!! Nowadays, yes, I'm sure you could never take a Lush bath bomb on board!"

Just don't call it a bath bomb, call it a bath fizzy.