Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

Nonfiction Reviews > Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 26 comments Mod
Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you've ever had the urge to live a self sufficient life or the yen to play pioneer, but you don't really want to give up living in the city or the small town, this may be the book for you.

This is not about raising geese and making your own feather beds, but it is about the kind of farming and recycling that is possible on small lots, high-rise roof tops, and acreages.

Some of Jenna's stories of her own mistakes while learning the ropes are pretty amusing while others are kind of sad. There were places in the book where she comes across as sort of smug, but still it shows possibilities.

Her chapter about raising chickens made me check out the city ordinances on keeping poultry in town--who am I kidding; I doubt that I will ever do much more than the annual blight on the tomatoes in my one raised bed garden.

View all my reviews

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (imrdy) | 1 comments For the guy version of this them, you can check out "Made By Hand" by Mark Frauenfelder. He even raises chickens in the city, too. (However, it was only a 2-star book for me.)