Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cece (new)

Cece (cwrob5) I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find the answer.. Im reading a book right now and it says on my nook that there is 155 pages total. I have it on my currently reading count on here and it says the book has like 280 pages.. why is this? I know it sometimes differs due to font size, but mine is zoomed alittle so that doesnt make any sence why it would be less on my nook. ???

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily This question was answered very well by someone over on the NOOK board on B&N's website, so I'm just going to copy and paste the summary for you here, because it's easier. :)

* The page numbers that we see in EPUB are not true pages. They're a numbering system invented and used by Adobe.

* The page numbers are calculated based on data size.

* The amount of text in EPUB pages varies from page to page, but most pages are somewhere between 300 and 400 words.

* Each "chapter" file within the EPUB starts on a new page. There is a visible page break at the end of a chapter file when you're reading the e-book. Adobe assigns a new page number to the start of the chapter file.

* The starting and ending points, and therefore the size, of any given page in any given EPUB e-book won't change as long as the file doesn't change.

* All e-book rendering software that does Adobe page numbering should calculate the same number of pages and the same page starting and ending points. All NOOK software uses Adobe rendering software, and of course Adobe Digital Editions also does, so they all should agree on page numbering.

(Thanks to Doug_Pardee)

So basically it has nothing to do with the actual number of pages in the book, but is based on the size of the file that contains the book. Does that make sense? Font size doesn't matter - that just affects how many times you have to physically turn the page to get onto the next page (larger font size will keep you on the same page for a few page turns). But you're not missing any pages, so no worries. :)

message 3: by Cece (new)

Cece (cwrob5) Thank you for explaining this...sorry if this was already a topic on here, have a hard time navigativing all the forums on my phone! I kept thinking half the book was gone..especially how itt ended, it could have been more to it!

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments EPub and PDF formats always have a specific number no matter the size of the book. Most books in ebook format tend to be smaller than in paper format. If a book is uploaded from a website it tends to have incorrect page information. If you are positive the book you are reading is in either ePub or PDF format there is a Ebook Incorrect Information Request where I fix some of the pages and other information that is not filled in on Goodreads.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily No worries, Cece. I don't believe it was already a topic on here (if it was, I missed it, too). I meant that it was explained on B&N's website, on the forum there. If you're not a member on their boards you wouldn't have seen it (although I recommend checking them out with any questions - they're pretty helpful, and easy to search). But don't feel bad about asking on here. I'm sure there are other people who were wondering the same thing. :)