Book Haven discussion

General > How far is too far?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 15 comments Is it anyone else or do you feel like there are some giveaways where they just ask you to do too much? I can understand the different reasons why this is done but how far is too far? How far would you go to enter a book giveaway?

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I don't mind if a giveaway asks me to review the book or to post a review to a site where the giveaway is being given, but I draw the line when they ask me to join up third party sites to post reviews. I just don't want my information out there like that even though I do use a dummy account for giveaways.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I'll sign up for a FirstReads here, but I'm not willing to do something I wouldn't otherwise, just to get a free book by an independent author, like join Facebook.

I also won't post a glowing review just because I got something free.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 15 comments I was looking at this one giveaway where the author was asking to read all these excerpts and answer questions. I understood why they wanted to do it this way but I just felt like I was putting in a lot of time for something like a giveaway.
If I really want the book I think I would do it but if its someone I don't know I just don't want to spend that much time on it. But then of course I feel a little bad ...

So what about when they tell you, you can add points by following on twitter or the blog and reposting about the giveaway?

message 5: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments I never do the whole "adding points" thing. I do one entry and I actually have 'won' a couple. I have one blogger I follow who is now giving away food and other sundry samples and the list of how to get entered has gotten so long that I just ignare her contest posts.

message 6: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Is it anyone else or do you feel like there are some giveaways where they just ask you to do too much? I can understand the different reasons why this is done but how far is too far? How far would ..."
I'd post a review here or Patricia Cornwell asks us for reviews on Amazon but that is it.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Elizabeth wrote: "So what about when they tell you, you can add points by following on twitter or the blog and reposting about the giveaway? "

I hate twitter and I have s blog which I hardly ever updated now so nope I don't go for extra points. I can understand why authors/bloggers do this and if I had a medium to get extra points I might consider doing it only if the book I'm entering is one I really want to read.

message 8: by Julianna (last edited Feb 10, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments I have a review site, but I'm not technically a blogger. I know from my own experience that I won't go to great lengths to win a book, so when I host giveaways, I almost always keep it nice and easy. Entrants just fill out a simple form asking for name, email, age & maybe mailing address (if US only), and they're automatically entered, no need for jumping through hoops and doing 50 other things for extra chances to win. That's just too complicated and troublesome to be worth it IMHO.

The only time I do anything more complex is every year on my site's anniversary. Then I do some simple multiple choice trivia questions that true fans would know the answers to and/or that can easily be found on my site. At those times, I'm always giving away more expensive prizes and think the extra effort is worth asking for. Otherwise, I think the easier it is, the more likely people are to come back and visit again.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 15 comments I totally agree Julie!