Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Reading Authors for the Season - The Basics

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8670 comments Mod
This group was firstly created to challenge us to read across genres and hopefully to try those forbidding zones we try not to cross. Now, we are going to try to read across authors. We will be giving this a trial period of 2 seasons and depending on interest, we may or may not continue this activity although I am hoping for it to be a regular activity of our group.

The basic rules are:

*a focus on authors (2)
*read books of chosen authors
*seasonal periods (ie. 2 authors for 3 months period)
*based on themes (eg. pulitzer prize winners, oprah's book club, Canadian authors, etc)

If author chosen is on GR, we will extend them an invitation to participate in any discussions in any point within the 3 months we are reading their books.

The members to choose the next authors will be determined by the previous month's author-picker. Their choice of will be limited to those members who have read & posted discussion comments in the author discussion threads. Please be considerate in your choice and if possible choose a member who has not been chosen previously so as many people can have a turn on the author picking.

To assist in timeliness, we would request the next author picker to be picked & possibly notified by around the 12 days before the end of the 'season' (give or take 1-2 days).

The theme will be decided by the moderators and will only be shared with the author picker at time of picking. It will then be shared with members at time of announcement of authors.

If the chosen Author Picker doesn't respond within five days from the first notice, a group poll will be posted with a list of authors chosen by the moderators for a group vote on the next seasons's authors.

An author which has been chosen previously is out of the possible list of authors for at least 5 years (60 months).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
This is such a cool idea, Karen. Once again you all are on the cutting edge. That is why I love this group so much.

message 3: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments This is a great idea!

message 4: by Tien (last edited Feb 09, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

Thanks Lyn but again I must confess the idea is not totally original, I've seen a similar version somewhere but I thought you guys might like it ;)

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments i know we do something similar over in the one romance challenge group i'm in - but its over a month, not a season...but its def. pushed my boundaries for some new authors in the romance genre, so i'm looking forward to checking this one out

message 6: by Tien (new)

Well I figure doing it over a season will lessen the pressure plus if the author has 10+ books, I'm sure we can fit at least 1 if not 5 or even all of them in the 3 months! And if they're a series, even better, we can read all of them, LOL

message 7: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) It looks like yet another amazing way to expand my reading awareness. I am liking this group more and more, Lyn is right: This is a great group.

message 8: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments When will we find out the authors/themes?

message 9: by Tien (new)

Soon! I hope - I have one author but still waiting for the other one, I've given a deadline for Friday, 25 so I'll announce theme & authors on the weekend.

If I don't have a response, we'll do a moderator's pick :)

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.