What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Solved: Large family, father is an efficiency expert [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr.

Cheaper by the Dozen

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (bratty) | 20 comments There is a sequel, With Bells on Their Toes, about the same 12 kids and at least one other book about one of the children as an adult. Both books about the kids are actually by both Frank Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey and are based on the real lives of the two authors and their siblings.

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments The first sequel is actually "Belles on Their Toes" because it is pretty much about the girls in the family, and their beaux. I have not read "Time Out for Happiness" - I think it's hard to find.

I also recommend this biography of Lillian Moller Gilbreth - Making Time: A Life beyond Cheaper by the Dozen, by Jane Lancaster.

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (bratty) | 20 comments Whoops. The missing "e" in Belles was just a typo on my part. I always add the "With" to the title and I've no idea why. I know it is wrong, but I do it anyway. Thanks for the catch and making sure we get all the correct info out there.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Oh my god, I didn't know about Time Out For Happiness! Thank you Deb for alerting me to this important information! Frank Jr. wrote another Gilbreth family book as well, called Innside Nantucket, but it's more a geneology/history than the hilarious CBTD books. (I see on Amazon that he also wrote a few other books, but there's no details on them.)

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly | 60 comments I didn't know about either of those two, Kate and Deb! Thanks. I'm a HUGE fan of the books (but not of the new movies, they utterly ruined it in my mind. The efficiency expert part is the best part!)

message 7: by Cece (new)

Cece (cece18) | 15 comments Only problem is-Cheaper by the Dozen wasn't set in the 1950s or 60s.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 14 comments Yours, Mine and Ours was a movie back then about a naval commander with a bunch of kids who married a woman with a bunch of kids... it was remade in the past few years with Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo. He, too, was a model of efficiency. I have no idea if it was a book first, though.

I don't remember if the movie utilized a whistle for the kids; the only one I know of for sure with that detail is of course, The Sound of Music.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Yours, Mine and Ours was a book first, and it's not a novel; it's a non-fiction book about a real family. I'm not sure if that was the title of the book: it was a great book and a good movie (it changed a lot - there were no whistles in the book/I'm not sure about the movie) and I'm about to go look for that book!

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Who Gets the Drumstick, by Helen Beardsley

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Aug 21, 2008 08:00AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Thanks Deb!

Edit: I loved that book. Thank you for reminding me of it - I just put it on my GR shelves.