Book Haven discussion

Kindle > Kindle Update 3.1 Preview Available

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I guess Preview release is supposed to sound more comforting than "Beta."

One of the big features in this release is "real" page numbering ... it also removes the constant display of location on the progress bar. You can see the location numbers (and page number, if enabled) by hitting the Menu button.

There are several other added features.

Public Notes -- This feature lets Kindle users choose to make their book notes and highlights available for others to see. Any Kindle user -- including authors, their fans, book reviewers, professors and passionate readers everywhere -- can opt-in to share their thoughts on book passages and ideas with friends, family members, colleagues, and the greater Kindle community of people who love to read. This is a new way for readers to share their excitement and knowledge about books and get more from the books they read. To review and turn on Public Notes in your own books, view the Public Notes of people you follow, track your reading activities, see Popular Highlights and your annotations, and view your full library of books, go to https://kindle.amazon.com.

Real Page Numbers -- Our customers have told us they want real page numbers that match the page numbers in print books so they can easily reference and cite passages, and read alongside others in a book club or class. We've already added real page numbers to tens of thousands of Kindle books, including the top 100 bestselling books in the Kindle Store that have matching print editions and thousands more of the most popular books. Page numbers will also be available on our free "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" Kindle apps in the coming months. If a Kindle book includes page numbers, press the Menu key in an open Kindle book to display page numbers.

Before You Go ... -- When you reach the end of the book, you can immediately rate the book, share a message about the book with your social network, get personalized recommendations for what to read next, and see more books by the same author.

New Newspaper and Magazine Layout -- We're introducing a new and improved layout for newspapers and magazines. This new layout gives you a quick snapshot of the news and helps you decide what you want to read first.

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments stormhawk wrote: "I guess Preview release is supposed to sound more comforting than "Beta."

One of the big features in this release is "real" page numbering ... it also removes the constant display of location o..."

good, so students can use kindle for book reports. cool.

message 3: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments I love the idea of real page numbers as I hate seeing that I have 4000 lines left to read. Now they need to make people able to enlarge PDF files, so I don't need to use a magnifier to read the articles for my classes!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Roseann wrote: "I love the idea of real page numbers as I hate seeing that I have 4000 lines left to read. Now they need to make people able to enlarge PDF files, so I don't need to use a magnifier to read the art..."

Have you tried downloading Calibre? From what I hear it can convert the files into regular Kindle files allowing you to change the font and do the regular things you would be able to do with Kindle files.

message 5: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments Jackie wrote: "Roseann wrote: "I love the idea of real page numbers as I hate seeing that I have 4000 lines left to read. Now they need to make people able to enlarge PDF files, so I don't need to use a magnifier..."

No, I haven't, but I certainly will now. Thank you for the info, I hope it works.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) It's blocked at my workplace but I think this is the link: calibre-ebook.com/

I don't have an ereader, but everyone I do know that has one (both Kindle and Nook users alike) love this particular program. There are a variety of files it can convert to make them readable on ereaders. Good luck with it. :)

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 148 comments I downloaded the update. I opened A Breath of Snow and Ashes, the only thing it shows at the bottom of the screen now is 35% and has the progress bar. I have to hit the Menu button, then it shows me Page 349 of 975 * Location 9621 of 26962.

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I haven't hit any paginated books yet, but I do find that having less verbiage on the progress bar is nice.

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments If I want to read unconverted pdfs, I use my KindleDX. To convert, I use Calibre. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not bad, especially if you're doing a batch conversion. You have to fiddle with the title/author info a lot of the time.

message 10: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments I am still working on the Calibre, but if I can convert my class pdfs then I will save quite a bit of time, paper, and printer ink!

message 11: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments mobipocket reader also has a pdf converter, is easier to use, but doesn't have the send to device features that calibre does.

message 12: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I remember hearing that ppl have to clear up the font to make it more readable and that's it. I just downloaded calibre.

message 13: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments i just recently was gifted a kindle. can i go on this site w it n download books from friends who share at another site?