Bad Science Bad Science discussion

anything similar to Bad Science

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonno (new)

Jonno I loved this book and would like to find other similar ones. Does anyone know any that they could recommend. I believe he is working on his second follow up at the moment but I am impatient to read more.

Dave I've recently finished a book called "Voodoo Science" by Robert Park, which is in a similar vein. I'd also recommend "How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World" by Francis Wheen.

Lisa Trick or Treatment by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst provide an overview of the efficacy of alternative therapies by reviewing all the evidence to date. Suckers, how alternative medicine fooled us all is also a pretty good romp over similar ground. Do check out the Bad Science website and forums - you get all of Ben's current articles - I don't know how he has time to be a doctor!

message 4: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil Hopper Lisa wrote: "Trick or Treatment by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst provide an overview of the efficacy of alternative therapies by reviewing all the evidence to date. Suckers, how alternative medicine fooled us al..."

I'd also recommend 'Trick or Treatment', and perhaps also 'Paranormality' by Richard Wiseman - similar theme, if not similar material.

Lisa 'Paranormality' by Richard Wiseman -
Anything by Richard Wiseman is a pretty nicely laid out read - I'm reading 'Mistakes Were Made, but not by me' by Tavris and Aronson. It's mainly about cognitive dissonance and I'm finding it a mind blowing read - Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland also looked at how are preception and reasoning systems often lead us astray - but I took a while to get through that, it's more academic.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

there are several titles that cover irrationality and etc. but the closest to "bad science" in coverage if not in popularity :-) is "Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies" by Sherry Seethaler. it is a very sharp, somewhat more methodical "how to evaluate claims" type book with tables, diagrams, myth highlights. highly recommended.

Melinda Try Bad Astronomy by Philip Plait. There are also a few other books along this same line, Bad Medicine by Christopher Wanjak, Flim-Flam by James Randi and Issac Asimov, The fabric of The Cosmos by Brian Greene, anything written by Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, and Neil deGrasse Tyson. If you liked Bad Science then these books should be interesting to you as well. Hope you enjoy!

Sang Goldacre has a new book out called Bad Pharma. Do check it out.

Emanuel Landeholm Try his blog. It's full of interesting stuff. Plus, he links to b3ta, which is always nice. http://www.badscience.net/

Linda Kelly Try C: Because Cowards Get Cancer Too by John Diamond. Its part autobiography about his struggle with cancer and part blistering attack on alternative therapies and hoe practitioners prey on the vulnerable. It' also very funny and sad at the same time.

Linda Kelly How not hoe obviously!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Try The Geek Manifesto: Why science matters. It's a little dry but a good read nonetheless.

Chika Andrew wrote: "Try The Geek Manifesto: Why science matters. It's a little dry but a good read nonetheless."

Thanks, Andrew. I'll read it.

message 16: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Coming at it from Goldacre's other angle: bad journalism, then Nick Davies's expose of scientifically illiterate, press release-fed reporting, Flat Earth News, is a must-read.