Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 2/7/11 What has your attention this week?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey This is my favorite weekly thread!

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I started Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and loving all of its southern charm. I'm also finishing up Paper, Scissors, Death.

message 3: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Well I'm still reading The Passage by Justin Cronin - have been so busy I only have time to read for a bit when I'm in bed - but it is a great book!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments I am just about done with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. If you have not read it, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is fascinating and more than a bit maddening but well worth the read. And, don't worry, it is not too heavy on the science.

On the fiction side, I am going to start The Names of the Dead by Stewart O'Nan.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I am reading The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella and am more than halfway through. Really liking it. I finished Midwives a few days ago and loved that. My husband is reading The Passage and loves it, so I plan to read that next.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz I've been reading "Kraken" by China Mieville for about a week now. A long time for me. But I have been doing a lot of stitching too. Anyway, this is sci-fi/fantasy & its good enough that I want to finish it, but very long & still a bit hard to work through. I've got several other things to read that I'd like to get to though.

message 7: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm reading Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy and liked it right off. Listening to The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke. Read by Will Patton and wow he is a great reader. Nails that New Orleans/Cajun accent and does wonderful with differentiating between characters.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments I finished Someone knows my name on Sunday and started Brad Meltzer's new one, The Inner Circle.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I'm still reading Alice I Have Been and I am just finding it to be so so. Next up is The History of Love.

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Liz wrote: "I've been reading "Kraken" by China Mieville for about a week now. A long time for me. But I have been doing a lot of stitching too. Anyway, this is sci-fi/fantasy & its good enough that I want ..."

Liz, I had gotten that out of the library, but it was a best seller and I had to return it before I finished! :-( Am going to get it out again when I've got more time - it was a weird story!

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise I finished Shelter Me, which I liked ok. Now I'm starting The Count of Monte Cristo (for book club) and Rescue by Anita Shreve.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 59 comments I have so many good books coming at me I'm having a hard time settling on any one title. I've read the most of The Winter of our Disconnect but I keep browsing the titles on my Nook that I have on loan and I'll read a few pages and I'm thoroughly sidetracked!

I have The History of Love from PBS so at least I don't have to return it any time soon, although I do need to read it before the end of the month. I would like to take about 10 days off work and do nothing but read!

It doesn't help that I come here and just keep adding to my wish list!

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments I just finished The girl who fell from the sky, loved it. Started Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

message 14: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments I am reading A Discovery of Witches but the pills I were taking for muscle spasms had the unfortunate side effect of making me zombie-like...only with drooling! I plan on spending most of the day reading!

message 15: by Libby (new)

Libby Hi All,
I feel like I have been MIA for awhile. I haven't been doing much reading lately because I am taking a class toward getting my teaching license renewed, and plus I just can't seem to get into anything. I did just pick up Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. Quick mysteries seem to be the only thing holding my attention lately! I'm so excited that History of Love is the new read. I listened to it a couple years ago and loved it!
-Libby

message 16: by Libby (new)

Libby Tina wrote: "I just finished The girl who fell from the sky, loved it. Started Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter"

Tina, when I came into work at the library this morning, my coworker was returning Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter & said she had really enjoyed it!

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments Libby wrote: "Tina wrote: "I just finished The girl who fell from the sky, loved it. Started Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter"

Tina, when I came into work at the library this morning, my coworker was returning Cr..."

Good! I'm only on page 100 but it isn't grabbing my attention too much.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments Sara wrote: "I finished Someone knows my name on Sunday and started Brad Meltzer's new one, The Inner Circle."

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments i loved someone knows my name - what a life that woman had.

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I'm reading "Broken for You." My neighbor loaned it to me and I got sucked right into it. The story is good, the characters are interesting, and it doesn't feel too heavy.