The Best Success/Self-Improvement Books Ever discussion

What's the problem with many current success/self-improvment books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Wood (httpwwwamywoodpsydcom) | 1 comments I believe that many current success/self-improvements create stress by promising quick results that can't possibly be sustained. For example, there is a book on the market right now called "A New You By Friday." Any thoughts on this trend?

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 9 comments I think there is no problem about the books because they give you idea how to be successful and how you can improve yourself. The problem is on how you apply what you read.

message 3: by Beatriz (last edited Nov 24, 2013 04:33AM) (new)

Beatriz | 1 comments I believe self-improvement is an ongoing process that can't be rushed and it has no end. We live in a society where we want things to happen quickly however, self-improvement isn't a fast and quick fix. Learning how to become a better person and improve your life is a process, a never ending learning curve. This concept needs to be understood by today's one-size-fits-all, quick fix society where we believe that the temporary satisfaction of a new purchase, a new relationship, a new job, etc. is the best we can achieve.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam Edge (edgey66) | 2 comments I very much agree with Amy, I have a saying lately the secret to success is don't give up and don't die. Anything that promises results without hard work and patience is probably not going to be very helpful. (I just noticed the date on this conversation but I'll post anyway.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Schofield | 3 comments I don't know what books you've been reading, but I have never read a true self development book that promises immediate results. If you are reading a book titled "A new you by Friday", you're reading the wrong books. Success takes time. But if you're reading a true success book, it teaches you the mindset required to be successful not only in life but also in a business vehicle. I personally have a library of over 100 success books, and not a single one of them promises instant success.

An excellent read on the subject is "The Slight Edge" By Jeff Olsen. It teaches on the subject that every choice you make affects your life in one either a positive direction or a negative one and your life moves in the direction of your choices.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam Edge (edgey66) | 2 comments Justin wrote: "I don't know what books you've been reading, but I have never read a true self development book that promises immediate results. If you are reading a book titled "A new you by Friday", you're readi..."

I agree Justin; however, there are a lot of books out there that promise some pretty wild results in the title. I think there is an idea in the marketing psyche that consumers are looking for quick and easy fixes and can be attracted to buy with cheezie promises. I find it all a little insulting.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Schofield | 3 comments to me this is almost the difference between self help and self improvement. Not to lump all self help books into one mass, many of them make outlandish promises. Self improvement books however usually speak on a single aspect of success principle. Dale Carnegies books are a perfect example. They all teach on the different aspects of personal relations. They don't promise results, they promise knowledge.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Hebwood (mark_hebwood) | 3 comments Amy wrote: "I believe that many current success/self-improvements create stress by promising quick results that can't possibly be sustained. For example, there is a book on the market right now called "A New Y..."

Yes, some thoughts, though I have to offer them carefully. I never read a self help book all the way through and so have to be mindful of this fact and not misrepresent my views as those of somebody who is an expert in the field.

Still, I leafed through many of the well-known titles in the genre (mostly in bookshops) and it seems to me as if many of them try to oversimplify a complex issue. Many of the books I have seen offer exercises to do repeatedly, suggest to develop 'positive thinking' or 'mindfulness', or delve into concepts that sound spiritual, but are loosely defined and may therefore be of limited practical use.

It is possible that readers may be hoping to receive 'get happy quick' solutions that do not require any deeper thought process, or investment of time on their part.

But the truth must surely be that the pursuit of the authentic life is hard, and will require dedication, introspection, and thought. Nothing in life worth having comes easily, why should happiness?

message 9: by Jason Wicky (new)

Jason Wicky Ong (jasonong) | 1 comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEyc...

Why self help books don't work?

message 10: by Gene (new)

Gene Clark (selfdevelopmentquest) | 1 comments I think there is a poor stigma around self development books. I have been summarizing and reviewing them since the beginning of the year, and I've gotten great feedback and growth on YouTube. I'd love your feedback too, or to start a discussion on my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPUy...

message 11: by Stela (new)

Stela | 2 comments For me the best self improvement book of 2019 is the Agile Artist by Colin Egglesfield. Gene, could you please summarise it as well. It is full of real live experiences and examples and it relates to a huge auditory. 43 x ***** reviews

message 12: by Stela (new)

Stela | 2 comments On Amazon, it has the potential to become Amazon best seller.

message 13: by Florence (new)

Florence Dambricourt | 6 comments New to the group and just love that thread. Love the hidden humour behind the subject, oh this damn self-help book which promises everything by Friday. When I shared with colleague my first title for my book on developing self-leadership "90 days to develop your self-leadership", they all went haywire.... what "90 days"? are you mad? ... still laughing about it, it seems we have been forgetting how the journey is more important than the result and give us the best information. Can't love enough the book "Mindset" from Carole Dweck, which does bing us back into reality and the understanding of the importance of efforts. Enjoy your weekend reading all.