1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Players Group discussion

Charachters > How to Create Charachters

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig), death to all PC's >:D (last edited Feb 07, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) | 190 comments Mod
So this is how to make a charrie for those who dont have acsess to the books.

First off you need to get your hands on some dice. Or just get some Webz dice like these!- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Now that that's in order you need to get your stats straight.

First roll 4d6. Then pick the highest three and add them up. (Ex- I roll a 1,3,2,6. So this would be a total of 11 because we drop the 1)

Repeat this process 6 times. This is because you have 6 basic stats!

These are: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, and Charisma.

Once youve got all of those in order you need to place them were you want them. Place one of each rolls in the template unitil you've used all of them.

You may be asking: does it matter where you put them. The answer is: Absolutely! Differnet stats do different things in the game!

So now that we've got all of our stats down, we need to pick our race! There's a few to choose from!

There are
Elves
Dwarves
Halfings
Humans
Gnomes
Half-Orcs
Half-Elves

Now each of these races have thier own benifits and shortcomings. If youre just starting out, dont worry about it! Just pick the ones that look the cooleset to you!

Now that we've got our race settled, lets pick a class!

If you're just starting out just pick one of the main 4 classes. These are- Fighter, Theif, Magic User and Cleric. I'm going to do a basic break down of the differnet types.

The Fighter- He well, fights! A strong warrior they can dish out the damage and take it too! With good armour and awesomeness they are the easiest class to play as! This should be most people's first character. He can wear any kind of armour and use any kind of weapon. High Strength and Consitution are very valueble for a fighter!

The Thief- A thief is often a sneaky little backstabber! He sneaks around and steals and is an excellent scout, because of his hiding and moving abilities. He can pick locks and listen at doors to warn the party of monsters ahead! He can use swords, clubs, daggers, bows and leather armour. Dexterity is the Stat the thief uses the most.

The Magic User- They cast spells! (duh) They are pretty horrible at a low level but they get rather powerful as time gets going. Not reccomened for brand new players! They cannot wear armour and can only use staffs and daggers! They are weak and squishy in combat but can later get very powerful. Intelligence is thier main skill.

Clerics- They are priest and servants of gods and such. They are good at spellcasting and decent at fighting. Very useful to parties as they can cure wounds and do other useful things. They can wear any armour, but only used non edged or sharp weapons. Wisdom is thier main power.

Hit Points is another important thing. This is how much damage a character can take before they start to die! Its pretty simple to see how many HP you start with.

Fighters start with d10 HP
Clerics start with d8 HP
Thieves start with d6 HP
Magic Users start with d4 HP

Alright so we have our stats all down, we have our race and our class so were ready to jump into a dungeon and slay some monsters right?! Absouletly not!

How are we going to carry our loot? How are we going to kill the monsters? Protect ourselves? See in the dark?

We need to buy some equipment. This is were gold comes in!

But how do you know how much you have? Well its pretty simple really. Use the following table to determine how much gold you have.

Cleric- 30-180 g.p (3d6x10)
Fighter- 50-200 g.p (5d4x10)
Magic-User- 20-80 g.p. (2d4x10)
Thieft- 20-120 g.p (2d6x10)

Not all money is gold however. Use this table to convert money into different currencies.

10 copper peices(c.p.) = 1 silver peice
20 silver peice (s.p.) = 1 g.p
Now what to spend all this lovely gold on? Well here is a basic equipment list for starting players.

Armour-
Chain Mail- 75 g.p.
Leather- 5 g.p.
Small shield- 10 g.p
Scale Mail- 45 g.p.

Arms
Arrows, dozen- 2 s.p
Axe, battle- 5 g.p
Bow, short- 15 g.p
Crossbow, light- 12 g.p.
Dagger and scabbard- 2 g.p.
Mace- 8 g.p
Quarrel or Bolt 20- 2 g.p.
Spear- 1 g.p.
Sword, long and scabbard- 15 g.p.
Sword, short and scabbard- 10 g.p.

Misc. Items

Backpack- 2 g.p
Pouch, belt, small- 15 s.p
Pouch, belt, large- 1 g.p
Quiver, dozen- 8 s.p.
Thieve's pick and tools- 30 g.p.
Rope, 50'- 4 s.p.
Torch- 1 c.p.
Alright. So we've got our gear. Weve got our stats. We've got our Hit Points. We've got our class and race? What's left?

There's a few things like alignment and age. You dont really need an alignment to play when you start out, your character will sort of pick its own alignment depending on your descions. Age and armour class are still needed though.

Armour Class is how tough your fighter is. You want a low number. Here's how you find out your armour class.

Armour Type / Armour Class Rating
None / 10
Shield only / 9
Leather or Padded Armour / 8
Leather or Padded + Shield / 7
Scale Mail / 6
Scale Mail + Shield/ Chainmail/ 5
Chain Mail + Shield / 4
Plate Mail / 3
Plate Mail + Shield / 2

So you want a low of an AC as possible.

A final note~ Ok so you have almost everything you need to be a player in this RP without the books. But really only as a fighter and maybe as a thief(Mainly because I'm not going to put up 100+ Spells for Clerics and Magic Users) If you enjoy playing as a fighter then I suggest you pick up the players book. Its on amazon for like 8+ bucks used. Its a great buy and will let you go even deeper into your character design.

If you would like to make a character I would really prefer you made a fighter if you dont have the rule book. If you want to be a thief thats ok too. But you really need the book to be a cleric or magic user. If you make a charrie please put on the top "I Do Not Have the Book" and one of the mods will edit your stats and abilites to full complete your character!

Thanks and happy RP'ing!

Kiwi's Hero is Sydney Davies ❤ (sarahkiwi) why did you say on the gold "2d6x10"?

message 3: by Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig), death to all PC's >:D (new)

Roll 2d6 and take the total score and times it by ten.

Kiwi's Hero is Sydney Davies ❤ (sarahkiwi) WHAT DO YOU MEAN PLACE OUR STATS?

message 5: by Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig), death to all PC's >:D (new)

IT means you can put them on whatever stats you would like that roll to be for. Ex: You roll a 15 7 16 11 12 and 9. I choose to put the 16 on contituion and a 15 on strength and so on.

Kiwi's Hero is Sydney Davies ❤ (sarahkiwi) uggh well I didnt know what you meant about the gold so I redid it. I'm lucky; I got 12!

message 7: by Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig), death to all PC's >:D (new)

Alright so take your character and put it into the character list so that I can help you put the final touches on it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm utterly confused! I just joined because I saw dungeons and dragons on Community! I don't understand!!! Help!

message 9: by Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig), death to all PC's >:D (new)

Ok so first go to that dice roller thingy. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Roll 4 6 sided dice 6 times and keep the results. Drop the lowest result of each roll (I.E a 6,4,3,1 youwould drop the 1 and leave you with a 13)