Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > How to deal with different info for each edition

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (lazerwraith) | 4 comments I have a question about the editions of a book: What if the more popular edition has a nicely formated title, a good cover, and a good description. But, most of the other edition have funny titles (i.e. all caps), no cover or pixelated cover, and a bad description.

Is there any way to make some of the info the same throughout the editions? Like, making all the titles look the same? And automatically changing all editions to the default description? And changing the cover with one upload?

This is okay when managing 3-6 editions. But some books have 15+....

Or, should I just ignore all but the first few editions (the ones that show in the panel on the right)?

Thanks for any advice.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
LaserWraith wrote: "Is there any way to make some of the info the same throughout the editions?"

No, and it's deliberate. Different editions may have slightly different titles or subtitles, almost always have different covers, may be in different languages, etc.

Other than the default description, the only way to get edition-specific data from one edition to another is via copy-and-paste. And it should only be done if you are certain the info is correct for the edition you are copying to.

message 3: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (lazerwraith) | 4 comments rivka wrote: "LaserWraith wrote: "Is there any way to make some of the info the same throughout the editions?"

No, and it's deliberate. Different editions may have slightly different titles or subtitles, almost..."

Well...usually the books I encounter all need the same titles. And the same description. (Though maybe not same covers.) I guess a mass-edit tool could be easily used wrongly or mistakenly.

So that leaves me with my other question: Is it worth it to go through and change the little details on obscure editions? Or should you do "more important" things?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments LaserWraith, if it's worth it to you, go ahead! There's no schedule for volunteer work; you can fix anything you desire. :)

For descriptions, once you set a description as the default description for the book as a whole (when editing any edition, check the default checkbox underneath the description field), you can edit the other books very quickly by opening them, clicking the "use default description" text underneath the description field, and saving the record. (Don't do this if the edition has edition-specific information in its description, but if you're just trying to apply a format or typo correct across multiple editions, it's the fastest way.) Once an edition is using the default description, changing any description and setting it as the new default will update the other editions using the default immediately.

There's no similar feature for titles and covers because those are so very often different for each edition.

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (lazerwraith) | 4 comments Cait wrote: "LaserWraith, if it's worth it to you, go ahead! There's no schedule for volunteer work; you can fix anything you desire. :)

For descriptions, once you set a description as the default description ..."

Yes, I know about the default description. Makes it easier to change things. :)

Could you give me a few examples when a title has to be different for some editions, besides translations/other languages? I'm not quite sure I can think of any others.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments LaserWraith wrote: "Cait wrote: "LaserWraith, if it's worth it to you, go ahead! There's no schedule for volunteer work; you can fix anything you desire. :)

For descriptions, once you set a description as the defau..."

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling are the same book with different titles. So are Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch and Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch . Sometimes subtitles on non-fiction books are added or changed when they are re-issued.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22766 comments Laserwraith, often books published in UK and US have different names, actually happens more frequently than you would think.

That is one of the reasons we have the field - Original Title.

message 8: by Cait (last edited Feb 06, 2011 06:09PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments And there are subtler differences as well: for example, Blood and Ivory: A Tapestry was originally published as Blood and Ivory: The Collected Tales of Jamethiel Priest's-Bane, or Kissing the Witch was first Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins, or How to Tell the Birds from the Flowers: A Manual of Flornithology for Beginners was How To Tell the Birds from the Flowers and Other Woodcuts, Verses, and Illustrations. It's most important that the record match the actual book it describes, not that it match other editions of the same book, so little differences like this are important to the catalog. (Which is why it's great when someone wants to go through and do all of these little corrections to book records! It's the sort of details that only matter to a few people, but to those people they can matter a lot! :) )

message 9: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (lazerwraith) | 4 comments Ah, I see now. So do you usually judge the book by its cover :) to determine what its title should be?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
:D

Yes.