~Opinions~ discussion

Fun > Languages

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
ok, so since there seem to be people here from lots of different countries that speak tones of different languages, i thought it would be interesting to have some sort of multi- language dictionary.
i think it should work like this:

word in english- what language you are transalating to- how you would spell it in english- how its written in the other language- other/ funfact

example:

hello- hebrew- shalom- שלום- also means peace

also, it might be better to write words that other people have already posted as well as new ones. then we can get many translations to one word

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Hello- Arabic- Marhabann

how are you- Arabic- Kaif a haliq? (but I think it's different for female)

good morning- arabic- sabah al khair

welcome- Arabic- ahlan wa sahlan

goodbye- Arabic- masalama!

Okay I don't speak Arabic but I'm learning!

What's up?- Libyan Arabic- Shijou?
It's good- Libyan Arabic- jou qwais!

message 3: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments shalom also means goodbye

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments lets see

מה נשמה? how are you? ma nishma?- hebrew

message 5: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments good morning- בוקר טוב boker tove - hebrew

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments good -tov-hebrew
so-so- cacha-cacha-hebrew
bad- lo tov-hebrew
excellent- mitzuyan- hebrew

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments actually, lo tov is 'not good' and ra is bad
רע-bad- ra

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments a very important word:

אוכל-food- ohchel

message 9: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments boy- yelad-hebrew
girl-yeldah-hebrew
group of boys, or boys and girls- yeladim-hebrew
group of girls- yeladot- hebrew

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments צהרים טובים- good afternoon- tzehorayim tovim- hebrew

message 11: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments wolf-za'av-hebrew

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments kelev-כלב- dog- hebrew

message 13: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments fish-dag-hebrew

(lol, fish is dog)

message 14: by Naomi (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments yes, and me מי is who and הוא hoo is היא he and he is she. if that make any sense what so ever

he- hoo- הוא
her-hee- היא
who- me- מי
me- ani- אני
what- ma- מה

message 15: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments "what" is ma, not "who".

message 16: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments whoops, thats embarrassing. my mistake. i was going to fast. ill fix it. thanks

message 17: by Siareen, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

um, wolf in hebrew is ze'ev not za'av...

one:

hebrew- echad- אחד
arabic- wahad
french- euh- une
spanish- uno

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments siareen!!!! ur back!!!

message 19: by Naomi (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:46PM) (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments hebrew colors:
red- adom-אדום
orange- katom- כתום
yellow- tzahov- צהוב
green- yarok- ירוק
blue- cachol- כחול
purple- sagol- סגול

message 20: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

hu? from where? you were gone more then i was!!!!!

um, anyone else with languges so this doesnt turn into a hebrew- english dictionary? lol

hebrew shapes:

square- ribua- ריבוע
circle- igul- עיגול
triangle- meshulash- משולש
rectangle- malben- מלבן
parallelogram- makbilit- מקבילית
diamond- meuyan- מעוין
[the gem diamond is: yahalom- יהלום

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) All the below in is from English to Danish:

Hey - Hej
What's your name? - Hvad er dit navn?
What's up? - Hvad så?
Do you know where _____ is? - Ved du hvor _____ er?
Godbye - Farvel

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Danish sounds AWESOME! Just like German and Russian.

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Russian? I can see how we sound sorta German, but Russian? *Giggles*

message 24: by Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (last edited Feb 07, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Hahah the accent! Dutch kinda sounds cool too. but German yes! There are these German girls in my class and they always speak it so I just listen. Haha, And i'm not saying you sound german, Im just saying it sounds cool.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Oh, hahaha :) Well, my dads wife's German, so I do know the language quite well.

message 26: by BD (new)

BD (bd-zainabhosain) hmm is this thread restrected to certain languages?? coz i know Burmese and Urdu if anyone is interested :P

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Emma (Audere est facere) wrote: "Oh, hahaha :) Well, my dads wife's German, so I do know the language quite well."

Oh yeah you said... Thats awesome.. Again :D I wanna learn German but I'm so bad at learning languages. I can barely pick up Arabic and French!

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Aaaw :( I'm pretty good at picking up languages. But then, I suck at mathematics, so...

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Hahah you probably dont suck. I thought i suck, and i do but i ended up in top set math class

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yes, well. I probably don't suck, but I'm def. tons better at language (Danish, German and English - not to mention just languages in general), social studies, history, creative subjects religion, Ancient times class, biology and geography.

Math, physics and chemistry I can not grasp.

message 31: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Zainab 'Black Diamond' wrote: "hmm is this thread restrected to certain languages?? coz i know Burmese and Urdu if anyone is interested :P"

Nope, no restriction

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Zainab 'Black Diamond' wrote: "hmm is this thread restrected to certain languages?? coz i know Burmese and Urdu if anyone is interested :P"

Be my guest :)

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Yeah, i cannot grasp French, and a lot of the times math. And Physics.

message 34: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

i learnt french in school for three years. but the third year i learnt how do draw more then i learnt french. the teacher was boring. :)

and the more languages the better!!!

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments omg its been three years with me and french and im still a beginner. I blame the teacher.

message 36: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol. my teacher was funny. just didnt teach very well...

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Our teacher is soooo annoying. we all hate her! She such a !@#$%^&@#@$@# She uses this one tone every time she talks even when she's talking shit about us, and then she "apologises" if she offended us for example in class after hearing this girl who knows french speak, she asked if i was impressed and i said "yes" and shes like "Well of course, because you're not that able in French, and i hate saying this, and because you're in the year nine class who has a very bad attitude towards french. I apologise if i offend you." bla bla, she talks like that.

message 38: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) awww, lmao, poor you.

Urdu
how are you - kya haal he

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments I know... And yesterday we were sitting in a group and she was like "I know YOU won't say anything." and I was like. "heh, reallly.." and shes like "But i want you to prove me wrong" and I did. Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

message 40: by megamarie (new)

megamarie | 127 comments report that teacher to the school principal. you have rights you know. urgh..

i hate teachers like that...

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments No but shes not doing anything wrong... she's just annoying.

message 42: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

out of interest- is english the mother tongue of everyone here, or is it the second language of some people? and does anyone else speak another language fluently?

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) My mother tongue is Danish, but I'm fluent in english, pretty good in German and Swedish, horrible at Spanish - though I understand and speak some, somewhat respectable in Norwegian and... I think that's it. Oh wait, I know a teensy bit latin :)

message 44: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

wow. what do you speak on a day to day basis?

oh, my mother tongue is english, but i speak hebrew fluently

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I speak Danish mostly; At my moms, at school, most of the times I'm out, etc.
But I speak english when I'm at my dads and when I'm out with my american friends :) - oh, and in English class of course.

Cool :)

message 46: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) And here, Emma :D

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, but I don't speak it here. I write it :p

message 48: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

well, you write it very well for someone who doesnt speak it as a mother tongue :)
though i guess i could just about do the same in hebrew... still, your english is really good

message 49: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Thanks. Danes are generally pretty good at english. We're too small of a country not to be :p

message 50: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

lol.
ive always liked Denmark. i dunno why. i guess its always been the accepting, moral country in my eyes. i dont know how true that is though :)

« previous 1