Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Recommending The Outlander series

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Well, since I first read The Outlander I've been recommending it to my family, friends, random people on the street(sad, but true) pretty much everyone, really and(to my annoyance) haven't had much success in getting them to read it(which is why I love this group so much-so many people actually sharing my obsession *squeals happily*). They just say the books are too long, too many things happen, and once even "sounds boring"(we aren't speaking anymore*grin*)
I think part of the problem is I just don't know how to explain the books and WHY I love the books so much.
So I just say they're mind-blowingly good and that it's just something you have to read to truly understand.
But it made me curious-how would you best describe The Outlander series and how would(or did)you recommend it? Please help me. I'd like to spread more DG love around{g}.

message 2: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 39 comments I am telling everyone I know about them as well. The books really cross all genres, so for me, I focus on attributes of the book that I think my friends will like. For instance, I have some friends who strictly read romances, I tell them it's the best romance ever. Others who like paranormal stuff, I talk about the time travel aspect, etc. I think it has something for everyone...suspense, romance, history, humor.

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 80 comments What I have found to be interesting is how many of my friends have read the books and have NEVER said anything till I mentioned it.

message 4: by Dani (new)

Dani | 48 comments One of my friends had mentioned Outlander to me for a couple of years when we would talk about books.She always told he how good it was and how much I would like it. In face she had read the series maybe 4 times I think. I finally did read it and Im still reading though the series for the first time, and I am hooked!
I think the size of the books is what was keep me from reading it sooner. I am listening to it, and just love the story.

Mimi wrote: "Well, since I first read The Outlander I've been recommending it to my family, friends, random people on the street(sad, but true) pretty much everyone, really and(to my annoyance) haven't had much..."

message 5: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Hmmm, part of what bothers me the most, I admit, is that my sister hasn't read it. We're close and pretty much read, hate and love the same books, so it really buggs me I can't get her to just TRY to read my favorite book ever(on the 1st place by leaps and bounds), which I'm convinced she'll love. I'm getting desperate and would soon turn to posting my favorite scenes from The Outlander with the hopes of getting her addicted. Think it would work*grin*?

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah (leah_moss) | 91 comments I tell people that if I try to explain it to you, you will think it sounds crazy! I tell them just to read 50-100 pages of Outlander and if it doesn't have you hooked, then stop reading :) Oh, and I usually warn them about Diana's details. These details drove me crazy at first. I just wanted to know what was going to happen, and not what the curtains looked like(g). However, now the details are what make the books facinating! They transport you to 18th century Scotland (sights, smells, food, people, etc.) from the comfort of your own couch! I tell them to soak it all in and enjoy the ride...

message 7: by Dani (new)

Dani | 48 comments Leah, I think DG's style of writing and all the details she adds in her books is what set her apart from so many authors. And, part of what makes Outlander, Outlander. I never get board with any of it.

Leah wrote: "I tell people that if I try to explain it to you, you will think it sounds crazy! I tell them just to read 50-100 pages of Outlander and if it doesn't have you hooked, then stop reading :) Oh, and ..."

message 8: by Ladyhawk (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Hi Mimi! And as we say, "Welcome to the obsession!" We here are at all different stages of the story, i.e. book one, book 4, 7, Graphic novel, first read, multiple reads! But we are all obsessed with the story that is Outlander!
There is another thread here titled "What do you tell people". Many clever suggestions on how to pique others Curiosity enough to get them to check it out. Tonya made a clever suggestion too.
Lots of fun, eloquent and sometimes just outrageous discussion. But always most enjoyable. I look forward to the visit everday!

message 9: by Candice (new)

Candice | 13 comments i describe the series as a historical fiction/romance series with a little sci-fi (time travel) sprinkled in :)

honestly, no description will do this series justice...gabaldon does such a great job of making the characters so endearing (especially jamie, claire and ian), describing the scenery, and developing the plot that one can't truly appreciate the books until they read them in full!

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (mamacass79) | 26 comments I also try to get EVERYONE I possibly can to read the best series EVER written and seem to come up against a brick wall most of the time. However, I tell them something that I heard Diana says that seems to catch their attention. She says that when someone asks her what they are about she tells them (and I am by no means quoting verbatum here) that they are difficut to describe but open the book to any 3 pages and if you can still put the book down, she will give you a dollar... and she hasn't lost money yet.! Sounds like a pretty good bet to me!

message 11: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Like that! Also just heard her say on that same note that she said readers tell others, " I don't even know how to describe this book to you. You just have to read it for yourself!" Their curiosity will have then been piqued, enough to at least peak at and read those 3 pages.
I have also said before, that Outlaner comes to you only when you are ready for it.

message 12: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Ok. Just to keep you in a informed-I have been posting my favorite scenes from the Outlander series to tantalize my sister dear and...SUCCESS!!!! Well mostly success, anyway.
She promised she'll read it after her exams are over. Granted she mostly did it to keep me from pestering her, but still...*doing a happy dance*
Will inform you how it goes further!!!

message 13: by Carly (new)

Carly Knowles | 3 comments I get "It's too long," to almost everybody that I recommend it to. It's very sad. I tried to convince my friend to the dark side by telling her they count for 2 books on her "Yearly book goal" or whatever it's called her on goodreads! She finally said she'd do it if it counts for three. lol.

Off to dive into Drums of Autumn for the first time *squeal*

message 14: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments That's funny Carly. Bribing someone into reading the books by declaring each book as equal to multiple books. I guess it certainly can be considered so.
Hope you enjoy Drums. I'm still working on it.

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (mamacass79) | 26 comments Carly wrote: "I get "It's too long," to almost everybody that I recommend it to. It's very sad. I tried to convince my friend to the dark side by telling her they count for 2 books on her "Yearly book goal" or..."

One of the major things that appeal to me about her books ARE the length! The are so fantastic that when you get to the end you wish they were twice as long. They say they don't want to read such a long book but if they would try it they wouldn't be disappointed.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments Mimi wrote: "Well, since I first read The Outlander I've been recommending it to my family, friends, random people on the street(sad, but true) pretty much everyone, really and(to my annoyance) haven't had much..."

Hi Mimi,
I used to promote and sell the book from a small shop quite successfully. One of the things I told people was how the books really brought Scotland to life for me on my second visit. It helped me understand one part of the history and opened up a whole world I though I already knew.
Cheers, Samantha
The Jamie & Claire Tour

message 17: by Germerican1993 (new)

Germerican1993 | 28 comments I tried to recommend it to my sis-in-law but she is a little weird.....she said she read the 1st book before til the part when Jamie gets raped and then she put the book down cause she didn`t like the gay part in it.
I told her it didn`t get too graphic and that`s not what the whole series is about but she won`t give it a chance.
Oh well she doesn`t know what she is missing!
Lets just pray that none of her kids would end up gay....I`m not sure how she would deal with that.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments The violent graphic parts including and especially rape scenes are not easy to handle weather it's a man or woman who's the victim. That particular part was pretty brutal and Jamie's recollection of it as well, so I skip that part when re-reading Outlander as it's not something I'm likely to forget and I don't like to rehash step by step. I also don't recommend the books to everyone who likes to read... sometimes because of the graphic violence throughout the whole series, of which there is quite a bit.
The idea of 'some' of the violence and the close-to-death scenes is that two people have gone through hell and back and have survived and have stayed together; only the strongest of relationships can survive these ordeals and so makes it an unfortunately 'acceptable' part of a good story, but not everyone's cup of tea.
Read on yourself and enjoy the story and don't be discouraged that some people aren't interested no matter what their reason.

message 19: by Mimi (last edited May 10, 2011 06:18AM) (new)

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Germerican1993 wrote: "I tried to recommend it to my sis-in-law but she is a little weird.....she said she read the 1st book before til the part when Jamie gets raped and then she put the book down cause she didn`t like ..."

The gay part of it? That had more to do with power, pain and cruelty than with homosexuality. Rape is never about sex. so, she would've been ok with Claire being raped, then?
Now had she reached the part with LJG, than she could've said that, IMO.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments Rape is never about sex.
Well said Mimi.

Northern Light (norrthernlight) | 218 comments Samantha wrote: "Rape is never about sex.
Well said Mimi."

I totally agree, if you think it is you are very wrong.

message 22: by Germerican1993 (new)

Germerican1993 | 28 comments Like I said she is weird like that.....she won`t read the Sookie Stackhouse books cause she caught a glimpse of True Blood,even though the books are soooo different from the show.

message 23: by Germerican1993 (new)

Germerican1993 | 28 comments Morag wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Rape is never about sex.
Well said Mimi."

I totally agree, if you think it is you are very wrong."

Agree 100%

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (Sam-1) | 21 comments So then we have to say "to each her own". That's the fantastic thing about people, we're all different and like or dislike different things. I'm glad you're enjoying a variety of books. I remember seeing "Under the Tuscan Sun". A complete chick flick but to me a wonderful little story as I'm infatuated with Italy. I read the books and just didn't enjoy them as much as the film. They story was very different from the movie. That's the problem with converting a story into a film, it's no longer in the hands of the author. Did you know that the movie "Brigadoon" was based on a German novel that I believe took place in the hills of Germany itself? No kilts there, aye!

message 25: by AliNicole Reads (last edited May 11, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

AliNicole Reads (alinicolereads) My mother-in-law will not read past Outlander because she just can't handle Jamie's life being constantly in peril. :)

message 26: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It does tend to raise the blood pressure.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Angst, angst and more angst. But, I love every emotional piece of it. I feel like I've gone through all the good and bad with them. And I sorely miss them when they're not around (like 2-3yrs between books). *sigh*

message 28: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I can pick it up and read a section and immediately I'm right there with them.

message 29: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Wendy F wrote: "I can pick it up and read a section and immediately I'm right there with them."
That's so true, Wendy. I think that's another one of the reasons I love this series so much. You can get right back into the story anywhere. Just convincing others how very special it is and having them believe you can be challenging.

message 30: by Deena (new)

Deena | 175 comments Unfortunately most of my family/friends are not into reading as I am, which is why I am glad I found this group a couple weeks ago, I hate not being able to discuss the books i'm reading [which is why I'm an English major]. But when I do tell others about Outlander I tell them its a love story [since to me thats the core of the whole series] set in 18th century Scotland where the married Claire happens to time travel in and ends up having to choose between two men she loves. My description gets complex and intricate which is also how the book is. I guess there is no good way to describe the book, you just have to read it. I just started The Fiery Cross =)

message 31: by Jackleen (new)

Jackleen | 5 comments I love to read and read a wide variety of books. People often ask me to recommend books for them and I am usually successful in matching books to people. The Outlander series is my favourite and I frequently recommend it to people. When they complain about how long the books are I always tell them that by the time they finish the book they will be wishing it was longer and may even start reading it over again. I never tire of the story. Both my sisters started reading the series as well, now one of my brother in laws refers to the series as the cult anytime we start talking about the books.