Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > New board organization questions and suggestions

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments The addition of Folders to help organize our discussions, and stimulate further interaction, along with getting our groups bookshelves stocked, opens the way for any questions you may have and especially for suggestions.

Is there anything you'd like to see organized differently?

Anything that would make the group more user friendly?

Do you have a request for a Folder title?

Or a suggestion for re-naming a current folder?

The Mini Review Audio Bookshelf is now well stocked, check it out!

message 2: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Also, I want to point out that we are all probably following multiple groups and those groups may have an audio themed discussion. There are at least 2 groups I'm currently browsing that have an audiobook thread. I think now is the time for all of us to point people in those kinds of threads to this group. I think the fact that our mini-reviews focus just as much on the audio aspect of the entertainment experience as well as the story is something that may get a bit more interaction and contribution. So, if you are part of a group that has an audio book thread, point them this way. ;)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Great idea Vic.

message 4: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments Can I ask why the audiobooks on the group shelf are "unstarred"? I read that the mini reviews weren't supposed to have a rating but I'm not clear on why, so I'm curious. :)

message 5: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Feb 05, 2011 09:08PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kaetrin wrote: "Can I ask why the audiobooks on the group shelf are "unstarred"? I read that the mini reviews weren't supposed to have a rating but I'm not clear on why, so I'm curious. :)"

Oh Kaetrin – I knew we would get this question soon! I should have met it head on.

Well, the easy answer is this - I rarely assign a grade when writing a mini review and it would necessitate me going back and grading dozens of books when they are no longer fresh in my mind.

Yet another factor is the effort that goes into writing a full review (AAR style) that takes in both the audio aspects and a general review of the story itself. It will probably take many more than the mini review's usual length of around 300 words. I've written a couple of those reviews for AAR and they are hard - shudder. I'll write more in the future but I can rarely review both aspects in less than 900 words.

There are other factors involved in the decision but at this time, that is the primary reason. Maybe it is something we can address in the future.

message 6: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments OK, another suggestion on folders names... change the name of "Audiobook Tagging / Organizing" to something like "Audiobook Organization and Listening Devices". This could cover the tagging stuff, specific software people use to organize their digital files and the devices they listen on. Otherwise, not sure I see what other topics could be in this folder.

message 7: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments Is it only SOA mini reviews that go on the group shelf or are their other audiobooks that can go there (and if so, what is the criteria) - don't want to have to do the walk of shame like Vic!! *grin* (Sorry this may have been answered in another thread but I got intimidated by the fact that there were 60 new messages on my email today...)

message 8: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Hey - I didn't do a walk of shame! I just sat in time out! :P I might also mention that I listened to an audiobook while I was there! ;)

But good question. :-D

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kaetrin wrote: "Is it only SOA mini reviews that go on the group shelf or are their other audiobooks that can go there (and if so, what is the criteria) - don't want to have to do the walk of shame like Vic!! *gri..."

Do I ever understand that! Under the Helping Move SOA Reviews thread, you will see that we are asking for help in moving all of the existing reviews in the 43 SOA columns over to our Goodreads Mini Review shelf. Those helping with the move, post the column they are working on and then move the reviews in that column using the guidelines provided in that thread. Only those books that have been reviewed at SOA go in this column but if you want to go claim a column and move over the reviews, it would be greatly appreciated!

Part of my action on this stems from the conversation you and I had the other night. In the future when you write a review for SOA, you will want to post your review in the mini review shelf once it has been published. And then you, as the reviewer, are free to use it on your Goodreads shelf as well.

message 10: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Kaetrin wrote: "Can I ask why the audiobooks on the group shelf are "unstarred"? I read that the mini reviews weren't supposed to have a rating but I'm not clear on why, so I'm curious. :)"

Also, it should be noted that when you click on a book that is on our group book shelf, you should see the rating/review from people participating in our group listed below your friends who rated this book. So, as a group we may not assign a rating but there is an overall goodreads rating.

message 11: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kaetrin wrote: "Is it only SOA mini reviews that go on the group shelf or are their other audiobooks that can go there (and if so, what is the criteria) - don't want to have to do the walk of shame like Vic!! *gri..."

I also wanted to add that we will have other group shelves in the future. I want to get the SOA Mini Review shelf up first since I will be featuring it in next week's column. You can add your books to these other shelves.

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Girls, do I see finger pointing? Oops, sorry, just the mom in me coming out. LOL You two made me laugh, walk of shame verses time out?? Either way audiobooks can be involved. :)

We only get 32 characters for our Folder titles so I adjusted the Tagging/Device Folder to what would fit. Other title options welcome.

Vic, good point about clicking on a book title and seeing your "friends" reviews/stars first. I always like that.

message 13: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments No finger pointing just my tongue sticking out. But STILL listening to an audio book! :-D

I think the organization is looking pretty good but at first glimpse think we may have too many folders. No judgment just my impression at browsing the top level folders and past moderation tasks on message forums. Maybe this is just me though.

I'm definitely liking the direction we're heading!

message 14: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 10:51PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments :) I really need to upgrade my ability with symbol expressions....

I agree, we don't have enough Topics to space the number of Folders, so they all pile up, looking cluttered.

I can see that at least three Folders can be combined into the Audiobook discussion Folder via Topics, instead of having their own folders. Back to work on that tomorrow.

Right now, George Killian's Irish Red Premium Lager is going to relax me into bed despite the shrill narration of the current book I'm listening too. It will not be a re-listen!

message 15: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments I'm relaxing to a nice Pinto Grigio and listening to Molly Harper's book 2 of Jane Jameson series. Will be crashing soon. :)