Write in 2014 discussion

Writers E-H > Ellen In 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Jul 02, 2011 10:48PM) (new)

Ellen | 275 comments blog: http://writingsmydrug.blogspot.com
twitter: #ellenmasquerade

Welcome friends to my 2011 topic! And doesn't it have such an interesting title --snort-- Shh. My imgaination is being sucked out by editing.

Wow. Did 2010 just go by quickly or what?

2011 will be a different year for me. I've started a new school, I'm in grade eleven, and while I know I won't be able to focus on my writing as much as last year I am determined not to loose it! I also think this year I will do much better in terms of my goals than I did last year. Or this year I'll fail an epic fail nobody has seen before. --Shrugs-- We shall see.

So, this is a copy pasted section from my blog post:

1- Bittersweet Masquerade goals::
: Finish Draft One Jan 9
: Edit enough for createspace copy 28th June
: Try to do another two-three rounds of edits after that (depending on how many rounds of edits for the createspace edition).

2- Complete another novel. (Could be Death by Roses, BSM Sequel, Dear Kate (working title), Shilah or Raven Hunter #2. And maybe even re-write the first one!)

3- Win NaNoWriMo 2011

4- I'd say getting into the Inkpop Top Five would be a goal, but I honestly don't know how much longer I'm willing to stay there. But more on that in a different blog post. This is a maybe goal cause it depends on the variables of the situation (nerdy or what?).

5- Have more interesting blog posts, I think.

6- Maybe. Just maybe. Seriously consider getting published (project: BSM).

message 2: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Inkpop is quite frustrating. I've been in the top five for about a week, and from there it's hard to be back up. It's particularly difficult if you're not on the site for more than a few days.

message 3: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last email, STILL. The password to that email is being a freak :( But, GOOD NEWS. Not about writing or anything, but about my love life! I have a boyfriend!!! :) Haha.

Good luck on your goals for 2011! :D

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Inkpop is quite frustrating. I've been in the top five for about a week, and from there it's hard to be back up. It's particularly difficult if you're not on the site for more than a few days."

Exactly. Plus, as much as I love writing and the professional advice would be amazing, I need to concentrate on school. That copy and paste blog post is very old though and on my account I've got a note saying that I'm basically on a hiatus. Which story is yours? Congrats!

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Jayda wrote: "Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last email, STILL. The password to that email is being a freak :( Bu..."

LOL! I think so. I'm about a month late because my folder hasn't been put in the archives, but oh well.

:D Damn passwords keeping the owners out of their own account ;D OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG! Is it *coughYouKnowExactlyWhomI'mTalkingAboutcough* !!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nawww. Thanks Jayda!!!

message 6: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Inkpop is quite frustrating. I've been in the top five for about a week, and from there it's hard to be back up. It's particularly difficult if you're not on the site for more than a f..."

Yeah, inkpop takes a lot of time out of the day. Mine was a poem that sat at the number two spot for a bit, and then long since slipped. It's on here somewhere, I think. In any case, I deleted my account there because I just didn't like it anymore. I'd been there since the very beginning of the site, and it just wasn't appealing anymore, what with so many people competing for only five spots. It was insanity.

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Inkpop is quite frustrating. I've been in the top five for about a week, and from there it's hard to be back up. It's particularly difficult if you're not on the site f..."

Ah. I mustn't have been on around then. I know what you mean about insanity. Especially since the announcement about Leigh went world wide the site has so many new members and projects it's crazy. I joined in December 2009, I think. But I didn't start using my account until like April. Lol. I forgot about it until they sent me an email :S I honestly can't be bothered with it anymore. Lol. Though I know the sites had a lot problems because of the new layout that's going up soon (or it might already be up --shrugs--).

message 8: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Oh, I dunno, I haven't looked at it for quite some time. Oh well.

message 9: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last email, STILL. The password to that email is being..."

Hm... Oh well, I'm just keeping my thread open :) Haha

Haha, I know, right? Stupid email password!!!
Nope! Not who you're thinking of, haha. It was a guy I don't think I've even told you about. Mark. BUT, he broke up with me yesterday via text message. Great, huh? Now tomorrow is going to suck. I even got him a cute little present, too. Now I get to spend Valentine's Day by myself. Ugh. :(

You're welcome!!!!!!! :)

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Oh, I dunno, I haven't looked at it for quite some time. Oh well."

I went on there after that comment just to see. But the new layout hasn't changed --shrugs-- But the people I talk to that are still on there think that they're going to leave soon :S

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Jayda wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last email, STILL. The password to tha..."

Haha. I've noticed. The most popular thread around ;D

weiu3g472i3qy79X41208YN2Q7%JXH3^&^^$RRCUGgyuxgwfe
We shall spend Valentine's day together, Jayda. Even though for me it was yesterday :S You should totally give it to somebody else. Or yourself.

:DDDDDDDDDDD

message 12: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last email, STILL. The p..."

Hahahaha! You crack me up :)

Yeah, it was yesterday for me too, now :/ But it's okay. I had like 2 or 3 Valentine's despite stupid boys. I mean, they were all girls, or celebrities, but that's not the point. And I'm sending the present I got him to my cousin so it's not all too bad. But yeah, it kind of sucks.

:D

message 13: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Jayda wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Shoooooot. Were we supposed to start new threads for 2011?

ELLEN. :) Hi. How are you???? :) Sorry I haven't responded to your last ema..."

Why thank you, madame ;D

:@ I still feel like that. Hehe. Nawwww. I hope your cousin enjoys it! Eeek. Speaking of Valentines... Apparently at school somebody brought me one (I actually happen to know who it is. Some guy name Sam. I believe our conversation went as such: Him: "Hi." Me: "Hey." Crickes: Cheerp Cheerp!). But I haven't been at school the entire week because of flooding and this stupid cyclone :S I would have missed school photos but they were cancelled. Phew!

:P

message 14: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 446 comments Out student council failed miserably. The only people in our class who got Valentine valentines are the two known couples because our student council JUST Started selling candy grams and JUST put up the posters for the sweetheart dance.

message 15: by kero (new)

kero We have a 'student' council but the teachers control it and when they 'vote', the teachers control the outcome. Power to the students :P

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "Out student council failed miserably. The only people in our class who got Valentine valentines are the two known couples because our student council JUST Started selling candy grams and JUST put u..."

Oh, wow. I think it was the year twelves whom set it up though. Lol. Although I have no idea whether it was popular or not! Wait. Just as in just just started selling candy? Haha! Oh, well. You should buy candy and eat it during class ;D Ooh. You guys have a sweetheart dance? And I'm guessing that it's very soon?

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Maezy♥ wrote: "We have a 'student' council but the teachers control it and when they 'vote', the teachers control the outcome. Power to the students :P"

Sigh. Teachers are greedy when it comes to control, I think. But that's probably a good thing. Who knows what could happen if students had all the power?? --evil grin--

message 18: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 446 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "Out student council failed miserably. The only people in our class who got Valentine valentines are the two known couples because our student council JUST Started ..."

Yep, But I don't have a sweetheart and our dances are crap so you know...

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Chapter Two of Bittersweet Masquerade

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

Check it out please ;D

message 20: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "Out student council failed miserably. The only people in our class who got Valentine valentines are the two known couples because our student counc..."

Lol! I'm sure they ain't horrible horrible! My old school wouldn't even throw a dance :S If we wanted one we had to plan everything ourselves. Pffft. Like that'd happen :P

message 21: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Oh, I dunno, I haven't looked at it for quite some time. Oh well."

I went on there after that comment just to see. But the new layout hasn't changed --shrugs-- But the people I talk..."

Yeah, I think Inkpop is a little too competitive now. There are a few other contest-writing sites that I've checked out. Figment is one of them--that site isn't so bad. Maybe you'd like to check it out?

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Oh, I dunno, I haven't looked at it for quite some time. Oh well."

I went on there after that comment just to see. But the new layout hasn't changed --shrugs-- But t..."

I'm a member of Figment, but I'm not very active with it. Or any other site to be honest. The school work is just taking up too much of my time sadly :(

message 23: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Same here. Once some break or another hits, I'll be able to catch up with a few sites, I suppose.

message 24: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Same here. Once some break or another hits, I'll be able to catch up with a few sites, I suppose."

Sadly, my next decent holiday isn't until June/July where I have four weeks off :( But I do have a one week holiday coming up, but even that's not enough to be seriously dedicated to a writing site these days.

message 25: by Ellen (last edited Mar 14, 2011 10:12PM) (new)

Ellen | 275 comments NEW BLOG POST: It's All About Balance

http://writingsmydrug.blogspot.com/20...

message 26: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Same here. Once some break or another hits, I'll be able to catch up with a few sites, I suppose."

Sadly, my next decent holiday isn't until June/July where I have four weeks off :(..."

That's a good point. Maybe it's just not worth it after all? :P

message 27: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Same here. Once some break or another hits, I'll be able to catch up with a few sites, I suppose."

Sadly, my next decent holiday isn't until June/July where I have f..."

Haha. I know! I don't mind writing sites, but I honestly don't think the majority of them are worth it, though. I like them, they really are addictive at times, but the help you advice and tips you get there is always something you could get from a Beta reader. Or Google. Google has the answers to everything :P

message 28: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Google does indeed have the answers to everything. More and more of the sites out there seem to attract the adolescent-type of people who still don't know how to spell properly. I try to avoid those as much as possible.

message 29: by kero (new)

kero google rules the world....

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Google does indeed have the answers to everything. More and more of the sites out there seem to attract the adolescent-type of people who still don't know how to spell properly. I try to avoid thos..."

Ah! I totally get what you mean. I know I will misspell the every odd word because I'm not perfect, but sometimes it gets really frustrating. Even when it's from a word document. There is such a thing as spell checker for a reason! Pffft. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a site where that is 100%. You just have to learn where within the site it's almost 100%.

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Maezy♥ wrote: "google rules the world...."

Haha! It totally does. Like Facebook. Also like Facebook, I'm sure the owner of Google could afford to have money in his bath tub! Lol.

message 32: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Google does indeed have the answers to everything. More and more of the sites out there seem to attract the adolescent-type of people who still don't know how to spell properly. I try ..."

Haha, yeah, that's a good point. I'll keep my eyes open.

message 33: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Mimi wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Google does indeed have the answers to everything. More and more of the sites out there seem to attract the adolescent-type of people who still don't know how to spell ..."

If you find one will you let me know and vise versa?

message 34: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (mimibird) | 421 comments It's a deal. XD

message 35: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments :P Haha. Yay!

P.S You tried Figment? I have an account but I don't even think I have my writing on there... Maybe. Lol.

message 36: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Woot Woot! Just finished the THIRD VERSION OF BITTERSWEET MASQUERADE! I'm definitely liking this one much, much better :D

Which brings me to this Random Question:

How long do you wait between the ending of one project and the beginning of another? I recently finished the draft of a story and I'm already plotting ideas down for the next story, but I'm curious as to how long you generally wait between novels.

message 37: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I wait as long or as short as it takes me to come up with an idea :) I think that if you're inspired you should just write it, no matter when the inspiration happens

message 38: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Thanks for the help, Jayda! :D So far that's what everybody's been telling me! Lol.

message 39: by Ellen (last edited May 13, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Okay. New question:

How much editing is too much? I've gone through this a lot, and while I know there's lots still to be done, when do you know you've reached the point where you can stop editing?

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments BLOG POSTL:How Much Editing Is Too Much?

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments BLOG POST: I'm ... Stylish? And Versatile?

message 42: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Guess who just finished her third round of edits on Bittersweet Masquerade?

MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

message 43: by kero (new)

kero How happy are you with it now? I haven't seen you around here in forever? Was that what you were doing?

message 44: by Ellen (last edited Jun 14, 2011 03:53AM) (new)

Ellen | 275 comments I'm pretty happy with it now. I think I need to make Morgan more dimensional, but other than that I'm happy with it :D I would still like a couple of people to go through it and point out how I can make it better, but for self edits I'm pretty happy. (I think I've said I'm pretty happy with it, like, four times already! haha!) Hahahahaha. Blame mid year exams :L I had five of them to study for!!! But I have the last two weeks of school (which is really nothing at all) and then a FOUR WEEK HOLIDAY! You'll see so much of me then that you'll wish you escape me forever!!! MWAH-AH-AH-HA!

How have you been doing?

message 45: by kero (new)

kero I've been touring europe and just got back today. Don't got o Paris it is not the city of love, I'm telling you.

You're still in school? We got last month?

message 46: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments LMAO! Awwww. But isn't it supposed to be beautiful?

Yeah. I've got one week left and then I'm on a four week break and then I start second semester. Where I live we get 1 week break between terms, 4 weeks between semester 1 & 2 and then a long 6 week holiday between the school years :) What about your school?

message 47: by kero (new)

kero We have a two and a half month break in the summer and yhen a week christmas and spring break. All the other days are eaten aaway by school.

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Oh, wow. I think I much like my holiday schedule better no offense :S

message 49: by kero (new)

kero You do, and none taken :)

message 50: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 275 comments Haha. So are you still on holidays?

« previous 1