Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Adding a Moderator

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Brenda has been working behind the scenes on our Goodreads group even before our inception. She was instrumental in getting the sight up and running and had many great ideas from the get go. However, I've been overwhelmed with the whole organizational aspect of the group - so much so that I didn't even realize we could have a second moderator. And none of those great ideas were ever implemented.

After all the enthusiasm shown over the last 24 hours, I realized we needed someone overseeing the operational functions of our group other than me. Brenda has agreed to become the co-moderator - a position she should have held from the very beginning. I know she has many ideas and will be asking for more.

Please welcome Brenda. And expect to hear from her. She has already set up an Audible Sale folder for those discussions beneath our general discussions area. You may want to check it out.

Thank you Brenda!

message 2: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Go Bren! :)

message 3: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 02:57PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks Lea, and your right, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Complete newbie at this end of Goodreads.

I'm putting some Folders together and then pulling in topics we've previously discussed to populate the Folders.

I am very open to re naming any of these Folders, as they are just some start up choices.

message 4: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Hey Vic ...I know your slaving away on the Mini Review Bookshelf, but when you get a minute I need Folder name / re-naming ideas.

Melinda you've started excellent topics, any Folder requests? How about you MaryK, same goes.

Names that will draw us out, so we start new discussions / topics under the Folder titles.

message 5: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments One thing I'd suggest as a moderator task on the sales threads (or poster could do it when they start new thread) is to put expiration in the topic. (Ex. what I did with http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4... ). But that's not a folder suggestion. :)

message 6: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments I think the 2011 Listening Challenge should be changed to just Listening Challenges. Also, a thread with a quick "what should go in this folder" type of post. Can you sticky posts to top of folder like a normal message board?

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I was wondering about a sticky post as well.

It feels so good to see all this organization!

message 8: by Vic (last edited Feb 05, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Also, maybe change Narrator Rants to just Narrators... Discuss or something. Then we could move post about the KMM Fever narrator there and all posts on narrators could be in same place.

message 9: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments @Lea - also thought it might be good idea for you to use the good reads widget on the SOA blog posts. Thing that would be pretty cool with a nice grab your attention link to this group. What do you think? Would you be allowed to do that?

message 10: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Vic wrote: "@Lea - also thought it might be good idea for you to use the good reads widget on the SOA blog posts. Thing that would be pretty cool with a nice grab your attention link to this group. What do yo..."

Such a great idea but I have no idea how to do that. Can you help me? I'll also run by AAR Management since I'm unsure about the ability to do so. Can you email me?

message 11: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks for all the good ideas, this is just the kind of things I need to know, so it will be user friendly for everyone.

There are a couple more Folders that aren't showing up yet because there are no posts under them. One is a General Narrator discussion. But I can still combine the two aspects into one.

There must be a sticky, I'll check it out along with the rest, dinner first! :)

message 12: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Once I have the column in better shape, I'll write a message to all of our members about the changes. You will probably receive more recommendations then. Do you have an obvious place for others to make such suggestions and ask questions as well? Maybe place it in the General discussions for now?

Possibly something along these lines:
New board organization questions and suggestions

This also would be the perfect sticky post.

message 13: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Such a great idea but I have no idea how to do that. Can you help me? I'll also run by AAR Management since I'm unsure about the ability to do so. Can you email me? ...."

Check out this link:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/member...

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Under Discussions the default "General" folder is always at the top.

So the perfect place for questions or announcements, such as the current SOA Column shout out every couple of weeks.

Which can then be moved to the SOA folder when the next column announcement is made.

Vic .... "Also, a thread with a quick "what should go in this folder" type of post." This is an excellent idea, feel free to toss some guidelines into any of the folders, you too Lea. I'll eventually get to it, but....

I think I have the "sticky" thing down, at least one for each folder.

I have the Narrator Discussion folder combined now ... also thought of calling it Narrator Rave or Rant, opinions?

Do either of you think that a Favorite Narrators folder would still fit in as a separate Folder. A place to name just our favorites, with reasons why they work for us as an individual?

message 15: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments I think we should try to keep narrator discussion to one folder. Some people can feel too intimidated to post if they are unsure where to post stuff. Also, if you are looking for info on a narrator, I think having 1 folder will work best.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Your right, what I keep forgetting is that we will be starting different Topics under the main Folder.

So we can have all kinds of different discussions going and still be in the same folder.

Thanks!

message 17: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Wow, I'm off-line for the day and the place gets redecorated. ;D

Yay, Brenda for volunteering to organize us. I haven't had a chance to look around much yet so I currently have no suggestions.

Well, maybe one. :) This might be a kind of crazy idea and not practical or organizationally sound. What if each person doing the Challenge has their own topic under the Challenge folder where they can post their list and updates.

message 18: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) MaryK Audiobook wrote: "Wow, I'm off-line for the day and the place gets redecorated. ;D

Yay, Brenda for volunteering to organize us. I haven't had a chance to look around much yet so I currently have no suggestions. ..."

I'm hoping we can utilize our group shelves for each category of the Listening Challenge as well. I think this was your idea orginally MaryK - way back when we were only beginning this group.

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments LOL, redecorated indeed! I had exactly the same idea MaryK.

Each of us participating in the Challenge would start a Topic under the Listening Challenges Folder with our Name and personal challenge goal.

We could cut and paste any posts we've already made into our own Name Topic. Then we'd be able to update our own Challenges quickly while allowing others to easily see where we are in the Challenge as individuals.

Feel free to start us off. :) I'll be back tomorrow to try and put the idea into coherent words under the Folder name.

message 20: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Let's try the Challenge category book shelves as well. I'm wondering if we will all open so many folders? I like the idea of one challenge discussion folder. Or are you saying that we would still have one challenge discussion with each of us keeping our details online?

message 21: by Brenda (last edited Feb 05, 2011 10:48PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments One Challenge Folder, which already exists. With a Topic = sub-folder under that single Folder with our individual names and record keeping.

Each of us with a bookshelf sounds good too, I need to look into that more ... I've been concentrating on Folders at this point.

Lots of change in one day, we'll get it worked out with all the great in put from others.

message 22: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) It's late and I'm not making my meaning clear - sorry! I'm thinking one shelf for each challenge category. Don't know if it will be used all that much but we could see all the "DIKs" and all the "abridgeds" on individual shelves.

message 23: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I must say Brenda - are we going to sleep?? I think it's a glass of wine for me as I start my nightly reading much later than usual.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Definite overload at this point, computer off now! :)

message 25: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (kyahgirl) Hey, I'm glad Brenda is on board with you Lea and helping to get us organized. I like the idea of having a folder for discussing narrators, one for updates on the reading challenge, one for 'what are you listening to' and that's about all I can think of for now.
Great job ladies.

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks Laura, there will be more tweaks I'm sure. but it's nice to hear that it's looking good around here. :)