The World's Literature: Latin America discussion

Reading List: Brazil and Peru > Second List (since the poll)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 3: by Betty (last edited Feb 18, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments Making Waves: Essays by Mario Vargas Llosa. If we choose this book, it will be the first compilation of essays we're reading!

message 4: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 155 comments that could be really interesting...i feel like i need to learn a lot about modern Peru in order to really appreciate his novels. i've only read Death in the Andes. I'm looking forward to "Bad Girl."

message 5: by Marieke (new)

Marieke | 155 comments wow...i just read the book page for "Making Waves." This is really interesting:

"In more recent articles, he considers the terrorism of Peru's Shining Path and the presidency of Alberto Fujimori - and the failures of the English public-school system, which made his son into a Rastafarian."

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments I've put "Death in the Andes" in my to-read list even though Vargas Llosa's technique in this novel tends to confound readers. I liked Marieke's review of it.

"The Bad Girl" is a very amusing, surprise-filled novel, and Vargas Llosa a genius of a storyteller, always stretching the reader's imagination to the borders of fantasy. Especially good is his transformations of a single girl throughout the story.

message 7: by Betty (last edited Apr 08, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments Grande Sertão: Veredas/The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by João Guimarães Rosa -- Brazil

and

Sagarana

message 8: by Betty (last edited Mar 09, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments Writers from Brazil, and Portuguese-speaking countries, having been awarded the Camões Prize:

Rubem Fonseca , e.g., The Taker And Other Stories

...cont'd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam%C3%B...

message 9: by Betty (last edited Mar 09, 2011 08:10AM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments BRAZIL:

Rheda.
First World Third Class and Other Tales of the Global Mix

Mindlin
Barbecued Husbands: And Other Stories From The Amazon

Melo
Black waltz

Garcia-Roza.
December heat
Southwesterly wind
A window in Copacabana
The silence of the rain

Veríssimo.
Borges and the eternal orangutans
The club of angels

Sarney
Master of the sea

Coelho
Eleven minutes:a novel
Warrior of the light:a manual
The Zahir

Veloso
Tropical truth: a story of music and revolution in Brazil

source: "Translations from the Portuguese" Current Tables of Contents http://lcweb2.loc.gov/hlas/62-literat...

message 10: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments PERU:

Since Alfredo Bryce Echenique's A World for Julius: A Novel is a favorite, it seemed worthwhile to locate two more of the author's translated books
Tarzan's Tonsillitis: A Novel -- an epistolary novel

Huerto Cerrado by Alfredo Bryce Echenique -- short stories

message 11: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments BRAZIL in 1920s-30s: The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles

message 12: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) | 3594 comments Brazil is an adventurous, historical epic from the introduction of Portuguese settlers into the mid-nineteen-hundreds. The homesite of the novel is http://erroluys.com/brazilpage1.htm .