Runs with scissors discussion

Book Group Reading > Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments The first blonde I loved to hate... Nellie Olsen from Little House on the Prairie. I saw this book and knew it was THE autobiographical work I HAVE to read. So far I have split a seam just over the pictures. I have to finish reading the novelization of 52 before I start the read, but that should be Monday. More to come . . . . . .

message 2: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I read this too and I will keep quiet until Paul posts.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments OK. Done. Where do I start? There is SO much in this book. I laughed, OUT LOUD, several times. I was shocked, angered, amused. Wanted to cry, wanted to beat someone up. And was (sort of) surprised.

Alison went through more than a child should (by the way, her brother, an antagonist in this mess, was the teenager on Land of the Giants AND is the creepy guy that runs the shop on Fringe where Fauxlivia uses the typewriter to contact her universe).

What an AMAZING woman Alison is! She has accomplished SO MUCH that really means something in this life. I will wait until at least one other person posts before I say more,. I want to discuss the whole book but at the same time do not want to spoil it for anyone else that wants to read it (read it even if you hated Little House.... you will not be disappointed in the read).

message 4: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

I did watch L.H.O.T.P. but I was not a do or die fan. We stopped watching around the time Mary went blind since as my mom put it "it's just one tragedy after another!". I do remember Nellie Olsen though, and I always thought that she was over the top compared to the books, of which I am a huge fan.

That aside, I agree with with the fact that she went through so much in her life and is now voice for AIDS activism and an advocate for sexually abused children. She did not let her past hold her back or turn her into a cowering pile of jello. She qualifies for not only this months choice,but for next months as well. Talk about a strong woman!

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 113 comments I must say that I was shocked and dismayed at the disparity in the molestation laws between strangers and family members. Especially since that situation was still standing as recently as it was. It was good to see that her parents were just clueless, not disbelieving or in denial.

message 6: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

I am frequently enraged by laws that are so far flung different regarding the same crime. Until a few years ago, it wasn't considered rape if it was between a husband and wife. It amazes me what stays on the books even though it is no longer what is socially accepted.