Books Without Borders discussion

Monthly Book Discussion > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Spoiler Alert

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maranda (addlebrained_reader) (mannadonn) | 367 comments Mod
As soon as you have read the book, use this thread to discuss.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie Truett (atruett) | 5 comments I haven't finished the book yet but I wanted to comment before I forgot this point. I have an interesting way of seperating myself from horrendous events that don't affect me. Take 9/11 for instance, it didn't bother me. I didn't know anyone that was directly affected. I was affected by people's pain and loss but not by the event itself. It may have something to do with being an abused child.

The point is that right off the bat this book has a unique way of portraying the loss and grief of a very intelligent child. This child is dealing with his grief by himself because he feels alone yet he is trying to solve a mystery that makes him feel connected to his dead father. So far I'm full of questions but totally interested in this child's journey.

Angie wrote: "I haven't finished the book yet but I wanted to comment before I forgot this point. I have an interesting way of seperating myself from horrendous events that don't affect me. Take 9/11 for insta..."

I'm so glad this book is keeping your interest so far. I just finished my other book last night so I'm looking forward to starting this one!

Every time I pick up this book (which has been all of twice) I have trouble putting it back down again.

It is so interesting. I really can't wait to see what happens.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I definitely think there is something different about the boy, Oskar. He reminds me a lot of my younger brother who has Asperger's.

I like how the book keeps you intrigued and doesn't really answer any questions so far. I'm only about 100 pages in, but with each new chapter, you are left with more questions than you had before.

I like it and hope things are resolved before it's all over. ;-)

Just wanted to share some of my initial thoughts.

message 5: by Wendy (last edited Mar 19, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

Wendy Milikien Candelaria | 12 comments I finished this book about a week ago and still am not really able to discuss it. It broke my heart. I was choked up from about page 7 through to the end. Several times I had to set it down and just cry. I don't know that I loved it, but it definitely weighed heavily on me and I have carried it with me like a chore since starting it.

And I have to admit it - I did not want to read this when it was chosen, and I almost skipped it altogether - but when Maranda told me how strongly she reacted to it, I knew I had to finish it.

I have since given this book to a friend and told him he may not love it, or even like it, but he will never be the same after reading it. I'm sorta weird in that I look for learning opportunities and lessons in almost everything I experience and the lesson I took from this story is that we must learn to communicate with our loved ones right now because we may not have a chance to learn how to later.

OH! and it's being made into a movie...starring Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks. Now THAT is interesting!! can't wait to see it :-)

Hmmmm...Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks?? I can imagine Sandra Bullock as the mom but who would Tom Hanks play??

I haven't talked about this book since I read it. It wasn't one of those that I thought about and just HAD to read you know?? But when I was reading it, I couldn't put it down.

When I finished the book, I set it on my lap and just sat there. Otty (husband) asked me how it was and I just sighed. He told me my eyes were glistening and I just lost it. I started crying and couldn't stop for at least half an hour.

Even writing this now, my eyes are getting teary.

It's not a book with a happy ending.

Wendy is right, you will be forever changed by reading this book.

I think about the ending all the time. As the boy was talking about how if only he could reverse time. I don't know how many times I flipped through the pictures at the end, wishing beyond hope that he could make the man fly back up through the air.

This is not a book that lets you go easily, if at all.

Wendy, you must tell me how your friend feels about it when he's done.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie Truett (atruett) | 5 comments Wow! Your review left me speechless and crying. Of course the book was overwhelming and I can't wait to see the movie. You summed it up very well.

And let me just say...I was incredibly angry with the mother through much of this book. Her nonchalance and uncaring attitude toward her 9 year old son traipsing around the streets of NYC was deplorable.

I'm so glad I found out in the end that I was wrong about her.

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Milikien Candelaria | 12 comments OMG, I did the same thing! I flipped the last pages a million times - both ways. See?!?! I'm crying now....
and what about when he kept blowing up the pictures and the pixels were huge, but he thought he could still make out his father's glasses? wow. And when he would describe how he knew all about something, but wished he didn't...I sorta feel that way about 9/11. And I can't stop thinking about the woman at the top of the Empire State Building.... that's a pretty tragic story in itself.

I can only guess Tom Hanks would be the dad. I hope so...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 94 comments I'm having a really difficult time getting through this book. I don't know if it's because I've read this thread and I don't want to know what happens next or what. I just don't know. Maybe it's because I don't want to explore these emotions right now. I lost my dad a few years ago very suddenly to a heart attack. I totally relate to Oskar and the search for answers. There were lots of things my dad and I left unsaid and questions I never got to ask.

I have a feeling it's going to take a while for me to finish this one...

Amanda wrote: "I'm having a really difficult time getting through this book. I don't know if it's because I've read this thread and I don't want to know what happens next or what. I just don't know. Maybe it's..."

If you can't get through it, I totally understand. Tiffany couldn't get past the second chapter. If you don't have it in you to read it right now, set it aside. But go back to it later. Though it's heartbreaking, it's worth the read!

Wendy wrote: "OMG, I did the same thing! I flipped the last pages a million times - both ways. See?!?! I'm crying now....
and what about when he kept blowing up the pictures and the pixels were huge, but he t..."

yes!!! The lady at the top of the Empire State Building. What was that about??? But hey...maybe she ended up getting a companion? The man who hadn't left his house in 25 years would have been okay with that kind of set up...

Do you think they will expand more on the dad's character?? That's such a small role for such a big name actor. Maybe they will give us background into the family?? I can't wait to see it...but then again, can they capture the essence of this book well enough?? I'm nervous and anxious at the same time.