Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Inside Due to Snow/Cold?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan It would appear that lots of us here in the U.S. are stuck inside due to the snow and cold. (We are even suppose to get snow here in South Texas tonight!)

So - what have you been reading during all this??

message 2: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 5 comments Those of use outside the US are stuck inside to escape the heat and humidity...

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina OHMYGosh, here in CT my boys have missed so many days of school, they're now cxling Feb. vaca. So, since there's no school - there's no work for Mommy ;-). I have read through 3 Pride and Prejudice sequels and am starting my 4th tonight. It really has been nice being snowed/iced in!

message 4: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 5 comments oh, cold and snow and ice.... I wish. It is 35-40 celsius here (and has been for a week), hard to sleep, too hot to walk, too hot for the beach. I'm wilting. lying under a tree or next to the pool with Pride and prej sounds like a good idea. but P and P sequels? What does that mean?

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Aileen wrote: "oh, cold and snow and ice.... I wish. It is 35-40 celsius here (and has been for a week), hard to sleep, too hot to walk, too hot for the beach. I'm wilting. lying under a tree or next to the pool ..."

Aileen, I wonder if you are where I am, in Sydney. With these dreadfully hot days, I dream of snow and ice! A couple of weeks ago I was in New York and Washington and on a couple of occasions I told myself that I was so cold I would never complain about Australian summers again. Now I just wish I was back in the cold weather!

message 6: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 5 comments Yes, near Sydney- central coast. Thank god for the ocean breezes. It was 42 in Gosford the other day :(

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Aileen wrote: "Yes, near Sydney- central coast. Thank god for the ocean breezes. It was 42 in Gosford the other day :("

I'm in Newtown in the inner west. Roll on the cool change on Sunday!!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Okay, Aileen and Kim. Those of us stuck in the cold (and here in South Texas - an ice storm) are very jealous and if we could get out of here, we might come visit! ;-)

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I'm in sunny Oregon, where drizzle is never counted, and enjoying book two of Mercy's Embrace, A Lively Chase. These books are a hoot! It is the story of Elizabeth Elliot, daughter #1 of Sir Walter, and her trials and tribulations of learning how to live with no money and what a dispicable cad her father really is. Loving it.
Having much sympathy for all of you in the path of those horrific storms. We've had a few in the past--no fun, and in my case, when snow gets too deep, what it really means for me is too heavy. Houses in my moorage have tipped and parts of the house have sunk.
Whole different perspective.
Patg

message 10: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 5 comments Megan wrote: "Okay, Aileen and Kim. Those of us stuck in the cold (and here in South Texas - an ice storm) are very jealous and if we could get out of here, we might come visit! ;-)"

:D. The grass is always greener, isn't it? Here's us dreaming of cold, and you dreaming of hot!

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments I've been doing puzzles by candlelight! I was without power for about four days. VERY cold, indeed.

Gonna buy some more tonight and finish off my Shakespeare one. EE!

message 12: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn (rozky) | 8 comments I'm in central Texas, and work was shut down because of an inch of snow! Its very cold, but only an inch?? Craziness! But, it did give me a chance to watch the 2004 BBC version of North and South. (which I think might be the beginning of a slight obsession with Richard Armitage.... those eyes!) The story was so wonderful, I just had to purchase Wives and Daughters and North and South to read during snowmageddon 2011!

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Hi Roslyn! I am just north of Houston and everything was/is totally shut down because of ice. (As a native Minnesotan, it boggles the mind.....) I have been reading "Mr. Darcy's Secret" by Jane Odiwe and listening to the second of Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation books on my iPod.

message 14: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Roslyn, we received a little over 2 ft during one of our snow storms here in CT. I love snow, but this is a bit much. I must have at least 3-4 ft still in my back yard because it's never warm enough to completely melt everything.

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Roslyn wrote: "I'm in central Texas, and work was shut down because of an inch of snow! Its very cold, but only an inch?? Craziness! But, it did give me a chance to watch the 2004 BBC version of North and South. ..."

I'm sick of winter & hope we've seen the last of it, but nothing at this point would surprise me.

Roslyn, I LOVE Richard Armitage because of that version of North & South. I own it, loaned it to my daughter-in-law and she asked for her own copy the next Christmas. So you are certainly not alone in your obsession! Did you see him in Robin Hood? He was certainly one of the best looking villians ever!! :-)

message 16: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn (rozky) | 8 comments Hi Ladies! What would we do without the internet on snow days? :-)

@Megan: I heard Houston got hit worse than we did in Austin, ya'll must be going nuts! You gotta love Texans driving on ice! Going 65mph on overpasses because TXDoT sanded the streets. The drivers are more dangerous than the actual weather!

@Sabrina: My parents live in Oklahoma, and they've been snowed in for 5 days, I can only imagine what's going on up in CT! The snow just doesn't go away, the top layer melts just enough so that the melt will refreeze each night when it dips below freezing.

@Martha: I bet my mother would love him! We're both suckers for dark hair and blue eyes. **sigh** I immediately looked up what other shows he was in, and checked them into my Netflix queue. I've only seen the first episode of Robin Hood... He is definitely one sexy bad guy!

message 17: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanbr) | 7 comments This time last year I was in the southern USA for 3 weeks, but managed to miss the snow. We had more than 4 weeks of unseaonably cold weather here in the UK in late November/December 2010, so hope that is all we get this winter - the country almost came to a standstill!

A good way to keep "warm" is the instalments of the popular novel "Dialogue with Darcy" on Kindle - see www.janetaylmer.com

Anyone who has not downloaded Kindle software to their computer or smartphone can use the free program CALIBRE to convert Kindle files - see http://calibre-ebook.com/about

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan Jean - I got an email from the author after I requested to be notified on the next installment and she said she hopes to have it out this month!

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanbr) | 7 comments That's great news!

What's your view about part-works as a format for a book?

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan It is interesting, almost like the novels that came out as serials back in the 1800s. Something to look forward to... I am finishing Jane Odiwe's new one and I have downloaded the first 3 parts to the Kindle and it is next. Have you read it? If so, what did you think?

message 21: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanbr) | 7 comments If you mean her novel Mr Darcy's secret, it costs more on Kindle in the UK than the forthcoming paperback will do, so perhaps I will wait for that to be published here later this month?