Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Humour > Good Enough by Paula Yoo

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Patti comes from a good Korean family -- her parents want her to succeed -- unfortunately they want her to succeed at everything. All her activities are geared towards getting her accepted to HYP - HarvardYalePrinceton. But Patti's true love, the violin, is considered by her parents to just be an extracurricular activity. Patti thinks that these goals are okay; until someone walks into her life who makes her wonder about her love of the violin and to question if success is the equivalent to happiness.

I read this wonderfully funny and endearing book on one sitting the day I got it. One thing that hit me was I had started writing a novel myself called "Good Enough" that focused on a black female instead of a Korean family. This novel has such a light and airy feel to it, while dealing with some very hardcore issues.

I highly recommend this book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Some reviewers have criticized Good Enough as being just another romance, but I loved seeing a smart and sweet girl in the main role. In many ways, I identified with the main character, despite our ethnic differences. Yes, I agree it has a light feel while dealing with serious issues. It was one of my favorite reads last year.