The Dance of the Dissident Daughter The Dance of the Dissident Daughter discussion

The Dance

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I read it...it took me a long time to get through. I kept thinking "There's no way this woman wrote the Secret Life of Bees". I think there might be times in life where this book would be more meaningful for some one. Also, her upbringing was so traditional and almost 'squelching' for a female. It's difficult to relate to--

Barb Bailey Yes, Sue Monk Kidd wrote other good books including The Secret Life of Bees!
But I also had trouble getting into this book. Firstly it was slow, secondly not that insterestin. It's about her reaching her spiritual femenine awakening! Well, I for one am a woman and like being a woman! Also, I was never made to feel less than at home growing up or in my church as she clearly states she was. I could not get into the book....did not finish it!!

Chris This book was a major AHA moment for me, as I was already struggling with the traditional place of women in institutionalized religion. I liked it because it did not "bash" the faith, only the manmade dogma that surrounds it. After checking it out from the library, I had to buy my own copy.

Jamie It was the beginning of an aha moment for me too.... While there were some parts I couldn't relate too, I appreciated it a lot. I think it's definitely for a specific audience.

Jacki I picked this up after reading the description. I had been raised as a Catholic, but at a certain point I did not connect with the religion anymore specifically because of the manmade dogma. I had identified myself as Pagan before reading this, but I felt the majority of this book really detailed what I had experienced and struggled through.

It is for a very specific audience, and there were times when I thought her writing was a little hokey, but overall, it was great to finally realize I'm not the only one out there who had gone through the things in her book. I'm passing it on to my mom, and would recommend it to several of my friends.

message 6: by Leila (last edited Sep 11, 2012 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leila Peters Sue Monk Kidd wrote The Secret Life of Bees after the awakening of her femminism. It freed her to create strong women characters who could live through terribly difficult circumstances without outside help.

It is hard to believe that some Christian Denominations are keeping women sequelched. If you can stand it, try some time on the "preaching" channels and you will know.