Silverlake Classics discussion

Snow - Pamuk

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brett (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Brett | 2 comments I gave this book 4 stars. I note this because it really only deserves three. I added the 4th because I think it is important for white folks like me to better understand Islam including the divisions within Islam and its battle with secularism and the West.

My biggest problem with this book (and this applies equally well to My Name Is Red ) is that I didn't feel like the characters were three-dimensional or had their own unique personalities. For example, the words and thoughts of each of Muhtar, Ka and Orhan could easily have come out of the other's mouth. Same with Ipek and her sister, Kadife. Pamuk attempted to fix this problem by telling us that Necip's soul went into his friend's body (can't remember his name, off hand).

I believe the most difficult feat for an author is to convince us that the characters are real. I can't do it. Pamuk has trouble, as well.

I don't think I will read a third Pamuk book. Maybe I'll just stick to the Wikipedia entries -- see, for example, Snow's Wikipedia entry -- and save time for better, more engaging books.

message 2: by Jango (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Jango | 10 comments Mod
I'm having trouble getting through My Name Is Red for similar reasons. As intersting as the plot is, I'm having trouble connecting with any of the characters. I read The New Life, and it suffered from the same problems, but since it was shorter, it was more easily digestible. I started The Black Book last year and think it might be my favorite (I got sidetracked by my wedding). The main story is interspersed with these amazing short stories, much like Pynchon's V. is. Once I get back to it, I'll let you know if it continues to keep interest. But maybe I should read Snow first, seems to be the one everyone's talking about...

message 3: by Jango (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Jango | 10 comments Mod
Okay, so the second half of My Name Is Red was much more interesting than the first. It offers amazing insight into what happens when the traditions of the East are confronted with the West's relentless pursuit of modernism. Even though it takes place in the 16th century, the themes are extremely contemporary. Well worth checking out.