Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Reading Habit Questions

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I got this from the MR reading challenge group that I'm a part of. I thought it was very interesting. :)

When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

How many books did you read last year? (Did you keep track, or is it a 'best guess'?) Was last year a typical year for you, or do you think you read a lot more or fewer books than usual?

Do you read more fiction, more nonfiction, or about evenly between them?

If you read fewer than 100 books last year, are you making changes to your reading habits to meet the challenge goal this year?

Do you read just ebooks or a combination of ebooks and pbooks?

Do you know what you're going to read next while you're still reading what you're reading now, or do you wait till you're finished to figure it out?

Do you read more than one book at a time? If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments My answers:

I read every day, whenever I have a moment. During the work day it’s only in 5-10 min intervals. After work I usually get about 2-3 hours. (being parts of groups like this sort of cuts into my reading time. :)

How many books did you read last year? (Did you keep track, or is it a 'best guess'?) Was last year a typical year for you, or do you think you read a lot more or fewer books than usual?

I have no clue, lol. I didn’t keep count, but I read a lot more books than usual. I think last year was not a typical year for me because I read a lot of short stories and books less than 200 pages. I usually lean towards books that are multi-part series and have about 300+ pages each.

Not counting news and events, I usually read more fiction.

If you read fewer than 100 books last year, are you making changes to your reading habits to meet the challenge goal this year?
I’m certain I read more than 100 books last year, this year I just want to count and see what happens.

I read a combination of both ebooks and pbooks. I also have a lot of hardbacks.

Do you know what you're going to read next while you're still reading what you're reading now, or do you wait till you're finished to figure it out?
Since I read in spurts during the day, I usually have about 2-3 books in rotation at all times. I just grab whatever catches my attention first when one is finished.

Do you read more than one book at a time? If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?
I always read more than one book at a time. I have no problem stopping in the middle of one book to start reading one I'm more excited about.

message 3: by Tressa (last edited Feb 02, 2011 01:36PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
On my lunch hour, at night before sleep, and any quiet time in my house.

Seventy-five, and it was about typical.

Way more fiction, but I enjoy nonfiction, too.

Yes, I'd like to make it to 100.

Combination.

I always want to have a book near me for when I finish up what I'm reading, so I do make plans, but some times those plans get thrown out the window if I spot or someone suggests something that sounds better than the one waiting in the wings. Only occasionally have I finished a book with no plans for the next one. I remedy it ASAP.

I juggled two or three, but what happens is that one will be superior and I'll put the others aside so I can finish up the better one. Yes, most times I will put aside what I'm reading if a favorite author has one out.

message 4: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments Wow that's a lot of questions:
1. I read on the metro on my way to and from the office. I also tend to read for a short period after work, when I'm eating alone, at lunch (during work), when I'm waiting for something to start, when I'm bored. (In other words I always have a book on me)

2. I would say about 75 - 80 some were re-reads, some were new. Last year was busy so it was less than normal.

3. Mostly non-fiction - but I've started to pick up more non-fiction (starting my own business).

4. This year already I've polished off about 1-2 per week. So let's see that's 52 for a year - hoping to up that. But life keeps getting in the way.

5. I have so far refused to break down and by a Kindle or Nook - I believe the tactile feel of the book adds to the experience. The dog eared pages, the new book smell, the feel of a comfortable but great book, the gloss of the cover...ahh where's my book!

6. Generally I have an idea of the next book. Recently met a friend who keeps throwing books my way. But I tend to review my to read list about half way through the previous book and see which one is next.

7. Well I normally have 1 book that is key - then I have some secondary non-fictions that I flip through or read here and there. If a new book by my favorite author comes out I tend to wait - the anticipation of knowing that this story is going to be GREAT makes it even more exciting when you get it in your hands. That is of course unless the book I'm reading is AWFUL. There are however very very few books I have not finished.

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

Everyday. I have a 40 min commute both ways, so I read during the commute. Always at night before bed. On weekends, I'll read a bit when I wake up. And whenever I get some time during the day.

176. That was a little low from previous years. Possibly because I introduced more audio books last year. I think I average about 220 a year. It could be that my online activities have cut into my reading time, which is quite possible. So I may not get back to my 200+. GR is addicting! Or else I am always online looking to discover undiscovered gems.

Overwhelmingly fiction for leisure.

A Combo. But the pendulum is swinging toward ebooks more and more.

Mostly I wait til I'm done to decide what next. If I am reading a good series or a newly discovered good author, then 9 times out of 10, my next book is the next book in the series or something in that author's backlist.

I have on occasion had more than one book going, especially if one is audio. But mostly I am more of a chain reader. The only time I'll abandon a book for a new one is if the one I am reading isn't engaging me enough. But I might be tempted to read really, really fast to get to the new one.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

Whenever I can. At home, at restaurants, in line at the post office, waiting for anything at all, audiobooks while working, etc...

127. I do keep track, and this was a lot more than I usually read in the past, although I didn't have a set goal in mind... I like trying to surpass my own goals though. In 2009 I had a goal to read 100 books. I passed it with 107. 2010 I didn't have a goal, but secretly I just wanted to read more than 2009, LOL. I did.
This year my goal is 125, which is less than I read last year (obviously), but I plan on reading some real bricks this year, so I might have trouble hitting it. We shall see!

Definitely more fiction, although I like non-fiction if it is engaging. I don't like memoirs though. They seem... padded.

Uhh, not really. LOL

Both, and since I got my nook, I hope to read a lot more ebooks! :)

I do try to plan, and try to stick to it, but sometimes that just doesn't work. =\

Yes... I never used to, but now I can't seem to stop myself!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I read throughout the day. In the morning before work, during breaks, on my lunch hour, after work, while driving to and fro, while running on my treadmill, at home in the evenings and often late at night.

Last year I read just under 300 books. 290 or 291. I'd say that's about average. I've read as few as 200 in the past decade and as many as 320 so it averages out.

I read far more fiction. I'd say 75/25.

I gave myself a low challenge goal this year as I've begun teaching three nights a week but I'm on pace to surpass it.

I read a combination of both. However any Ebook I enjoy I then purchase in Hardback form.

I usually have a fair idea of what I'm going to read next. I search for new novels on the weekend and download them or order them off Amazon accordingly.

I generally read 4 to 5 novels at a time. If I enjoy one novel significantly more I'll put down the others and hyperfocus until Ive completed it. Occasionally, I'll immediately reread the novel after completion the first time. I'll almost always stop whatever I'm reading to read a new release by a favorite author.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Incidentally, great thread MrsJoseph :)

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

Whenever I can snatch a spare moment. I read during my lunch break at work, while dinner is cooking, when the baby is napping or in bed, when I'm in bed.. I don't watch much TV, reading is really my number one hobby.

I read 51 books in 2010. That's actually a lot more than I usually read.. I've always loved reading, but I never used to get through more than a book or two a month. Lately I've been getting through five to ten a month, so this year will probably be even more! I love it :)

Fiction, without a doubt. I'm not a big nonfiction fan.

My goal is 80 books.. Not changing my habit to meet that, I just estimated that number based on what I'm currently getting through.

No ebooks, all dead tree books for me. Some audio, but I really prefer DTB's to audio.

I pretty much know the next three or four books I plan to read ahead of time, but sometimes I do change my mind.

I never used to, but lately I've been doing a dead tree book and an audio at the same time and that works pretty well. But no, I don't stop reading whatever I'm currently reading to start something new that comes out.. I make myself finish it first.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "Incidentally, great thread MrsJoseph :)"

Welcome :)

I love all these answers! It's a little strange to me to see so many people who are completly DTB (I drifted here from MobileRead where everyone has some type of ereader, if only their phone).

Also, 4-5 books at a time, Grant? Wow! I can only do that for a short period then I'm down to about 3 again. But I also don't do audio books atall

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried an audiobook for the first time last month and I absolutely despised it. Its so so so freaking slow. I don't know how folks stand it

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) When do you read?
Usually whenever I have the time during the day and night like before bed, while my son's at school and if I'm waiting at a Dr's office.

How often? Almost always everyday whether in small doses or for bigger chunks.

Where do you usually read?

Usually in my bedroom but then as crowded as y house is my bedroom is almost my apartment (I live with two brothers my sister and my mother along with Todd and my son).

How many books did you read last year? (Did you keep track, or is it a 'best guess'?)
Quite a few at least 100 but probably more at a guess becasue I don't usually keep track.

Was last year a typical year for you, or do you think you read a lot more or fewer books than usual?

Pretty typical at least since my high school days when I read more like 200 in a year.

I read more fiction but as much as a third of what I read is non-fiction.

Well i did set up a goal for it on here.

I rarely read ebooks. I don't have a reader and so have to read the ones I can get on my comp for free.

Most of the time I have a stack set out or I've recently bought something I'm dying to read next so I know what I'll be starting after the one I'm on.

Do you read more than one book at a time?

Hardy ever, I generally like to dedicate myself to one book at a time so my focus isn't thrown.

If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?

Not generally. i think the only time that would happen is if the next book is distracting me from the current one or the book is just too dull to keep going.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Grant wrote: "I tried an audiobook for the first time last month and I absolutely despised it. Its so so so freaking slow. I don't know how folks stand it"

I don't like them just to listen to whenever, but I do enjoy them when I'm doing housework or working out. Can't read on the treadmill! Makes me nauseous. But an audio book works. And just try reading while doing the dishes.. So many opportunities for disaster here. Audiobook!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol you know I never thought about trying an audiobook during those daily rituals where I couldn't read otherwise. That totally makes sense. Lol I read while on the treadmill and the elliptical. I once tried reading on my iPad while weightlifting but became worried that disaster would strike!

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I have tried to read on the elliptical.. I seriously almost threw up. Too much bouncing around to concentrate. I can handle in on a stationary bike, or walking on a treadmill... But if I want to run it's a no go. That's what I always have two books lately - an audio to listen to during things like that, and a dead tree book for all of the other times.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "Lol you know I never thought about trying an audiobook during those daily rituals where I couldn't read otherwise. That totally makes sense. Lol I read while on the treadmill and the elliptical. I ..."

iPad while weight lifting??! I almost feel we should change the name to "Book -a-holics Anonymous" LOL

I might have to try an audiobook while working out - but they normally put me to sleep. I can't follow anything because they speak so s l o w l y. Arrrg! lol

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Dawn wrote: "I have tried to read on the elliptical.. I seriously almost threw up. Too much bouncing around to concentrate. I can handle in on a stationary bike, or walking on a treadmill... But if I want to ru..."

I have tried this, too, both in audio and physical book. I just can't concentrate enough. When working out, I need loud, fast music to zone out to.

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'm fine with an audio book, I prefer it to music. The time seems to pass quicker... I hate working out :P

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol I had my ipad velcroed above my weight bench to where I could read while bench pressing but it distracted me and caused me to have bad form which can be rather dangerous when you're lifting without a spotter. It was a failed experiment. Reading while doing pushups/situps was just rather disorienting. Lol...poor Dawn. I love working out...at least you still do it despite your dislike! Kudos!

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Well you know, had a baby a little over a year ago... I gotta do something! The last week I've had the excuse of too much snow to go to the gym though, so I'm not always a good girl :)

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I have been sooo bad lately! I haven't worked out in months, it's just so cold. That's really no excuse cause we have tapes & stuff, but...

We're trying to go to Jamaica in 8 months - that's going to be my motivation. :)

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm like you, I normally have a sound track of really fast, really loud music that can help me push through.

Jason wrote:I have tried this, too, both in audio and physical book. I just can't concentrate enough. When working out, I need loud, fast music to zone out to."

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I went to Jamaica last year....umm...have you ever been before? I really, really hope you're going to Sandals :)

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I actually like working out, but there's some songs that really get me going.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol *hums the theme to Rocky*

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments lol Do you listen to that one, Grant?

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Yeah, last year. We went to Couples Swept Away. It was wonderful. I've heard a lot of great things about Sandals, too.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...dude back when I was in high school playing football I used to have a mix tape that I'd rock out to in the fieldhouse while working out. Lol..the very first song on the tape was Eye of the Tiger, followed by Thunderstruck, Hallowed Be They Name (which is so not a Christian song lol), Raining Blood...I dont remember the rest but I know I had some songs from the 1986 animated Transformers movie on there! Lol...Good sweet God I was lame! But by God, I got my sweat on...lmao

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments LOL. I listen to some Neurosis and Lamb of God. That crap gets my blood boiling when I'm on the elliptical

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I tend toward rock (i.e. smells like teen spirit), heavy bass/beat rap, and really fast dance pop. There's ususally a frenzy of sound dripping from my headphones.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol hear I am talking about listening to metal bands when I'm going to an Edwin McCain/ Sister Hazel concert in a few weeks

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The Sandals resort is amazing MrsJoseph! Try the Grand Caymans sometime as well. So so beautiful

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'll have to check it out. :)

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

I read in bed for about half an hour before I go to sleep. If I'm really caught up in a story, it might end up being a lot longer... *oops*

Almost nothing in the first half of the year (too busy writing!) but then I got a Kindle and got reading properly again :) I have no idea of the total.

For pleasure, almost entirely fiction. But I also read maybe a hundred academic papers each year.

I'm not aiming to read 100 books this year... if I read that much, I wouldn't have time to write! :)

Just ebooks.

Sometimes I have a good idea, but I tend to be quite impulsive too. I've developed a worrying habit of reading 2 or 3 books at once.

I never used to, but it seems easier to do on my Kindle - I can just read whichever suits my mood best.

Great questions :)

Rachel

message 35: by Bill (last edited Feb 05, 2011 09:42AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

I read religiously starting at 10 PM until I start nodding or reading the same sentence over and over, usually somewhere between 12 and 1 AM. The only other times I have to read is when I'm waiting at a doctor's office or somewhere similar. I take my iPad and/or laptop and generally read short stories.

I read 64 books in 2010, 25,4650 pages plus a gaggle of short stories, a typical year (I'm not being compulsive here. I have a book database which keeps track of all this by reading its barcode and getting the info from Amazon or other sites)

Those are all fiction. I don't consider non-fiction really reading, probably because I have so much professional reading to do.

Nah. Quality is a lot more important than quantity. Generally, the more I enjoy a book, the slower I read, to savor. I consider reading goals or competitions rather sophomoric. (sing-a-long: I read more than you do...I read more than you do...)

Almost all the books I read are Hardcover. I do not read MMPB unless it is the only possibility and by an author I particularly like. I read an eBook if a HC or trade PB is not available.

Sometimes one, sometimes the other.

I almost always read one book at a time (fiction) and will not start another until I finish what I'm reading. Sometimes I start a book, find I'm not in the mood for it and will choose something else, usually only after a few pages.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
--As often and where ever I can. In bed when I'm at home.

--Approximately 250 books. It's my most ever, I believe.

--I rarely ever read nonfiction. If anything, it is Christian theology books. I don't know if mythology and folklore references count as non-fiction. I tend to read those quite a bit.

--N/A

--I read mainly paper books, but I am reading more and more ebooks. My Kindle has already paid for itself.

--I do a lot of challenges and I read books for review, so I have a general idea, but I will pick a book at random if I can. I don't usually try to restrict my book-reading order since it backfires. I'm a moody reader.

--Generally yes. One or two paper books, one on the Kindle.

message 37: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 114 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

** All hours. I am disabled and so have lots of free time. I read nearly constantly. I read in my 'man cave'/library/computer room. I have what was a rec room converted to my library.

** 350+. I sometimes get through 2 books a day. I try to keep track but lose track of my list. -grin- I have been reading a little more, but have always been a voracious reader.

** Mostly fiction. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Suspense/thriller/mysteries, Bizarro and a small percentage of nonfiction, usually physics anything dealing with space exploration.

** I read mostly real, tactile books. Maybe 5% will be ebooks and less than that audio books.

** Both and neither. It really varies. If I'm reading a series, then yes. If not I usually have 6-7 picked out and will choose from them.

** Oh yeah. I usually have 3-6 books going at once. One stays in the car for Dr visits and such, there will be one or two at the dinner table, one in the bathroom and the rest in next to my Lazyboy.
Yes. Many times a book comes out that I have been waiting for and the reading pile gets shuffled.

message 38: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments 1. When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
Usually before bed or on the weekends. Most every day right now. Sitting in bed or on a chair with good light.

2. How many books did you read last year? (Did you keep track, or is it a 'best guess'?) Was last year a typical year for you, or do you think you read a lot more or fewer books than usual?

Not sure. A lot fewer especially while I was working and taking graduate classes. When I'm not in classes then I usually read more.

3. Do you read more fiction, more nonfiction, or about evenly between them?

Mostly fiction specifically fantasy. The nonfiction I've read has been for grad school mostly.

4. If you read fewer than 100 books last year, are you making changes to your reading habits to meet the challenge goal this year?

No.

5. Do you read just ebooks or a combination of ebooks and pbooks?

Hardbacks and paperbacks. I don't like the eyestrain still associated with ebook readers.

6. Do you know what you're going to read next while you're still reading what you're reading now, or do you wait till you're finished to figure it out?

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Often depends on whether or not I'm waiting for a new release or not.

7. Do you read more than one book at a time? If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?

I try to only read one at a time but most of what I read are series books so I am often in the middle of a bunch of series at once. If a new book comes out from one of my favorites, I usually try to finish the one I'm currently reading before starting the new one but sometimes it depends on how far through it I am.

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 572 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
Whenever and wherever I can. My ex-husband and I once had a serious disagreement because I found a corner and was reading a terribly boring party he dragged me to.
I'm getting older now, don't get out a lot, so most of my reading now is at home, in my recliner.

How many books did you read last year? Best guess is probably around 300, maybe more. I'm a fast reader and will often read a book a day. But I only get to the library once a month, so much of my reading is re-reads of books that I like well enough to re-read and have on my bookshelves at home.

Mostly fiction, though I do have a number of non-fiction books that I re-read, books on horses and horse training and artwork. The majority of my fiction reading is mystery, science fiction and fantasy although I have books of other types that I found I particularly liked and do re-read, going back to my grade school days.

Just hardbacks and paperbacks. I have vision impairment that makes ebooks not a good option for me.

If I am reading library books, I generally read the next one I pick up unless I have several of a series.

Do you read more than one book at a time?
Very rarely, though I will often keep an "extra" in the car or my purse, usually from my own library. If I start a book I haven't read before, if I like it well enough to continue reading, I want to know what happens. I can't leave it 'unread'.

If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?

This rarely happens. Many of the 'new' releases by authors I like I get at the library first and read. Have limited bookshelf space so the only books I purchase are ones I know I will want to re-read. I think there are only three authors right now that I pre-order the newest releases from Amazon. If one of those came in while I was reading one of the library books or a 're-read' then I would put that down to read the latest.

message 40: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
Whenever possible; at the very least for a few minutes before bed; I try to snatch a few minutes before work, which explains why I come screeching in late or almost late so often. I have to read every day, or consider the day wasted. And I'd start experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I read anywhere, but mostly in my room, on my bed. Which is why I fall asleep so often with a book in my hand.

@Sharon - when I was a kid I couldn't understand why it was so awful that I wanted to bring a book to weddings. The receptions were so boring - why waste all that time?

Didn't keep track last year; I managed 106 in 2009, and I'd say I had a few more in 2010, as I was unemployed for a couple of months. Then again, I did NaNoWriMo in November, so that might have evened it out.

Much fiction, some nonfiction. I enjoy history, especially art history and what I've seen called "pop history".

It was definitely more than 100 - but I *always* try to read more.

Pbooks, huh? I don't have an e-reader, but I do have a few books downloaded in pdf format etc.; still, the vast majority are 3-d. Stupid laptop battery dies too fast - and there's too much temptation to try to sneak in ebooks at work.

Yes. :) Sometimes I'll set a book aside to read next, and by the time I've finished what I was in the middle of something else will have come to the foreground. I'm fickle.

Sometimes. I don't often buy new, so if a new book by a favorite author comes out I probably won't get my hands on it for months, at best - - unless it's a Guy Kay. Those I buy as soon as humanly possible. I won't usually put down what I'm already reading for a new book, but ... well, not long ago I was juggling about six books. Which is a lot even for me.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?
I read a few minutes here and there during the day as time allows and almost every night while watching/not watching TV.

I did keep track last year and I'm ashamed to say I only read 9 books last year...darn Facebook. Last year was not typical at all....I started reading WoT and got really bogged down about book #4.

Fiction definitely wins. About the only nonfiction I read is the newspaper and that not very often since I read to escape reality....

I think 100+ is out of my reach until my kids have grown up and moved out, but I am trying to increase over last year. Actually, I've already surpassed last year, which admittedly isn't saying much.....

Currently I only read dead tree books (I never heard that term until I joined this group...lol). I'm itching to get an ereader, just can't justify the expense right now.

If I'm reading a series, it's usually the next book in the series. Otherwise, I really never know what's next until I've finished my current book. I love looking at the piles of unread books and trying to decide.

I only read one book at a time. And if I start a book, 99% of the time I will finish it even if I really don't like it. I have only ever 'given up' on 2 books that I can think of, and I think that someday I will take another stab at them, when I have nothing else to read.... If my favorite author had a new book out, it wouldn't matter, I would still finish what I was reading first.

message 42: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

I usually read in bed, most nights

My best guess is about 30

I read very little non-fiction.

I am on a fifty book challenge this year.

I have only really read on ebook, which was "White Tiger"

I usually know.

I always read one book at a time.

message 43: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

I read whenever I get a chance, but get the most read in the evenings and on the weekend. I tend to read either on the couch or in bed. If I'm in between meetings for work and have time to kill I'll read in my car.

I didn't read a lot last year and I didn't keep track. I might have hit three dozen, but probably closer to two. This year I've read 37 so far and am working on the next 6 or so.

More fiction in terms of the number of books, but due to the length of a lot of the non-fiction I read, probably almost even in terms of pages.

I'm just reading a lot more :)

I just got a Nook and am moving, so largely ebooks. I do like physical books though. Sometimes it's more convenient as far as finding them goes.

sometimes yes, sometimes no :)

one book at a time? If you don't normally read more than one book at a time, if a new book by your favorite author comes out, will you put down what you're currently reading to read that instead?

I read more than one at a time, but I'll still sometimes postpone one if something in that genre comes up that I'd rather read.

message 44: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Barrett (elfspirit) | 68 comments When do you read? How often? Where do you usually read?

I read whenever I can. I'd read in my sleep if I could. I ride an exercise bike every day, and this gives me 40 minutes of virtuous reading time. Other than that, I mainly read at night.

I generally read 4 or 5 books a week.

I read vastly more fiction. I do most of my nonfiction reading on the internet.

pbooks only, but this will change.

I like to know what my next book will be. Since I get most from the library, I have a general idea, but sometimes I see what reading mood I'm in. I like contrast.

I can simultaneously read fiction and nonfiction, but not 2 fiction books at once.

Great questions. Thanks.