Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Recommendations > For a newbie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joss (new)

Joss Hello! I keep wanting to read a book by Jodi Picoult, but I have no idea where to start. Can someone suggest a good book to start with if you've never read any of her books before?

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 74 comments Hmmm..... I started with My Sister's Keeper and was hooked. It's a real page turner and it actually made me really emotional while reading it. I was so invested in the characters in the book (more so than any other Picoult novel, I think). I wasn't a parent at the time I read it but am now and I think it may even get to me on another level now.

I posted a question about what Picoult book to read next a while back and someone recommended to read the one I could relate to my own life best. I thought that was a really good idea. Picoult has a way of writing so that the reader seems to become emotionally involved in highly emotionally charged topics..... suicide, school shooting, rape, sexual abuse, domestic violence, religion (to name a few). Maybe think about starting with one that has a topic that would interest you to read about or one that you may be able to relate to your life in some way.

Enjoy!

message 3: by Brittany (last edited Aug 10, 2008 08:34AM) (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) My Sister's Keeper was also my 'gateway' Picoult novel. It's probably the most well-known of her books. (I think it is in the Top 100 on Listopia here on GoodReads?) Plain Truth is also a great one. I would suggest that readers new to Picoult stay away from the earlier ones (Song of the Humpback Whale, Harvesting the Heart, etc.) for a while, since the tone and style in those is very different from most of her work, and may not give you a real feel for her as a writer.

message 4: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 15 comments My first one was Salem Falls. It's my favorite one. I also really liked Tenth Circle and The Pact. I have read Mercy, but didn't enjoy it at all. I haven't read, but have heard that Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper are great. They're on my bookshelves waiting to be read. Happy reading!

message 5: by nina (new)

nina (ladeeda) | 29 comments I started with My Sisters Keeper, just came across it by accident, and then I went out look for more of her books :)

I would definetly recommend either The Pact (AMAZING!) or My Sisters Keeper. Both great books, neither will dissapoint :)

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 2 comments My favorites after My Sister's Keeper are Raising Faith and Nineteen Minutes, but I really liked Plain Truth, Change of Heart and The Pact.

I agree with Brittney to stay away from Song of the Humpback Whale. One of the groups I'm in wanted to read a Picoult book I hadn't, so they choose that one. I don't think I would have been as avid a fan, if this was my first look at her.

Enjoy!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

it's kinda funny and ironic... i was reading the end of my sister's keeper and crying in the same place where it was taking place, in the er (i wasn't hurt, a rollergirl had slammed into the bar on the outside of the roller skating rink, and my dad's an er nurse so he got her in quickly and was helping)