Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS: roll call and initial impressions (*no spoilers*)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you've read, are reading or still planning to read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin], and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this topic please!

message 2: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2391 comments Mod
Read it in one fell swoop last week - couldn't put it down!

message 3: by Phoenixfalls (last edited Feb 01, 2011 05:21PM) (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments I read this back in. . . November? December. Really enjoyed it and I'm really looking forward to the discussion!

message 4: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 899 comments While its not a perfect book (it has some faults), it was a whole lot of fun to read. I finished the entire thing in one 24 hour period.

This is saying a lot given that my attention span has been non existent for almost a year due the demands of work and life in general.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Planning to read it...hopefully soonish.

message 6: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) I have this one and would like to read. I'll see if I can fit in inbetween books I'm reading for some other groups. I've heard really good things about this.

message 7: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I'm reading it. So far, interesting - and famous first sentence!

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina I got the audio on audible and am planning on listening to it.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 11 comments I downloaded the audio from my library and will start tomorrow.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (hippygoth66) | 101 comments Bought this Saturday morning, spent most of the day shopping and the same Sunday, but still needed to by the next book on Sunday afternoon. Was finished by quarter to twelve Sunday night. Couldn't go to sleep before I finished it. Loved it

message 11: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'm in. It's next in my queue after I finish the book I'm currently reading, so I'll probably be starting it the first of this coming week.

message 12: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I hope to come on board, but may well be late - work pressure eases within the next week or so, and I plan a HUGE buy fest at the bookshop to celebrate. This title has gone on the list to pick up for a look see. If I like what I browse, I'll nab it.

message 13: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) Already read it in December so looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I'm starting it tomorrow! Looking forward to it.

message 15: by Lurple (new)

Lurple | 12 comments This will be my first group book; I'll start it tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I finish Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan.

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Janny wrote: "I hope to come on board, but may well be late - work pressure eases within the next week or so, and I plan a HUGE buy fest at the bookshop to celebrate. This title has gone on the list to pick up f..."

Does this mean what I think it does, that your book's almost done? Good luck finishing it up! I'm excited to see it when it's ready.

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina I downloaded the audiobook from audible and I don't like the reader. So last night I went and picked up the paperback. Hopefully it will be better.

message 18: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments What am I missing? I started this one when it first came out last year and wound up tossing it but I can't remember why I did.

message 19: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 187 comments Deedee wrote: "What am I missing? I started this one when it first came out last year and wound up tossing it but I can't remember why I did."

Maybe you didn't like the voice? I know a couple of people who were turned off by it, though it suited me to a T. . .

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (writeralicia) Deedee wrote: "What am I missing? I started this one when it first came out last year and wound up tossing it but I can't remember why I did."

Ditto. I started this a couple of months ago and just could not get into it. I will probably pick it up again at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

message 21: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) I'm about 120 pages into this one now. So far I like it. The small random sections in the middle of the chapters are a little confusing, but I think they'll make more sense as I keep reading.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments had this on hold at the library and just picked it up today (along with Cold Magic which is the read for another group, although i'm going with this for entirely arbitrary reasons). when i looked up the author i was intrigued that she listed Tanith Lee and Ursula le Guin as influences.

message 23: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it. There are so many layers to the story, so many lies to sort through. The world-building gets more fascinating in every chapter.

message 24: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I have started it. and it seems to be going pretty fast which is good since Feb is almost over!