Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Please... help finding great audio books

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Hello all!

Due to my need to multi-task & sore neck I sometimes get from too much reading, I listen to a lot of audiobooks (and subscribe to audible.com). Since the selections are pretty limited, I feel like I am running out of quality books. The last few I listened to were a bit dissapointing & am hoping to discover some fantactic ones out there that I may have been overlooking.

I prefer those that are a bit hot & steamy with a great romance story line. If you could look at my reading list and suggest other books based on this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Paula

message 2: by Lory (new)

Lory (moty) | 103 comments Hi Paula,

I did enjoy the Gena Showalter and Lara Adrian a lot. And Larissa Ione books are available right now in Audible.com

message 3: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Are you an iTunes member? They have a great selection of audiobooks.

message 4: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Thanks AlbertaJenn. I do have itunes, but haven't spent much time looking here since it is a little pricier than audible. I will check it out today to see if I can find more there.

Juana "Darkness" Duran | 109 comments Don't know any good audio books but if I hear of good ones I'll post them.

message 6: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) I only "read" audio books due to my growing photography business and hectic family life. If it weren't for audio books I'd miss out on hundreds of characters that I've come to love.

I'm currently listening to the Lords of the Underworld series. Max Belmore does a fantastic job reading. If you check my read list you'll find all the books I've finished and they are all available on audio.

I love paranormal romances are there any books that are must listens? I'm only interested in audio books!!

T

message 7: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Taria - I really engoyed the Lords of the Underworld. Another series you may like is Demonica (one of my favorites) by Larissa Ione. The first two books are now available on audio.

message 8: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) I'm on Sabin's story now and I'm really enjoying the series. I'll check out the Demonica series too. I heard great things about those as well. I'm still holding out hope that Immortals After Dark will soon be available in audio. I'd love to get my ears on those hotties soon.

message 9: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Loved Immortals After Dark & would love to have have those on audio! The Dark Hunter Series is good also (up to book 11 & minus book 9).

message 10: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) I blew through the Dark-Hunter/Dream-Hunter/Were-Hunter Series in about a week and a half...lol. I can't wait for the next book to come out. I just discovered the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance. I really enjoyed them and looking forward to the next book this June.

Linda Howards - Blood Born is ok.
Laurell K Hammilton - Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series is ok books 1 to about 12 are pretty good, but after that 13-20 is a trainwreck that you just can't look away from.
Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris is EXCELLENT!
The Immortals by Jennifer Ashley, Robin Popp and Joy Nash are very entertaining. Only the first 4 are on audio, not sure when the others will be out. I emailed Jennifer Ashley and she said that the publisher was "having financial troubles" so she wasn't sure if the others would be out at all.

message 11: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Taria - I have not yet read the Sookie Stackhouse series, but had been thinking about it. The first book is available on Audible right now for $4.95 & just purchased it.

I haven't heard much about the Immortals (I do like Jennifer Ashley's historicals), but reading the description, sounds interesting.

message 12: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Lory - Loved those series!

message 13: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Paula wrote: "Thanks AlbertaJenn. I do have itunes, but haven't spent much time looking here since it is a little pricier than audible. I will check it out today to see if I can find more there."
Did you find anything on iTunes that you're interested in? I think that there are some of Christine Feehan's books there that you haven't read. I saw Karen Marie Moning (Highlander/Fever), Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series), Jeanine Frost, JR Ward, and others that I think you've already read. I'd be interested in knowing if you find any gems, as I've been looking for them, too. I'm looking for PNR audiobooks that I haven't read or series that I haven't tried.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I'd recommend Diana Gabaldon (narrated by the awesome Davina Porter) and the books are really long 25+ hours each - audible has all by book 5 and 6 unabriged - due to rights issues). Karen Marie Moning's Highlander and Fever series - narrated by Phil Gigante (highlander and the last 2 fever series) and Joyce Bean (first 3 fever series).

I really enjoyed the Succubus series by richelle mead - listened to books 1 and 2 so far - and have 3 and 4 waiting.

JD Robb's in death series - narrated by Susan Erickson

message 15: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Delicious Dee Challenge Addict - Thanks! I have read the Outlander series & it is one of my all-time favorites! Also really loved Moning's highlander series.

Haven't heard of the Succubus series, but will check it out.

I have been thinking about starting In Death, but am a little hesitant, as I have heard that it is really more suspence than romance. What do you think?

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) it is def. more suspense/mystery than romance - but there are some hot scenes between Eve and Rourke in every book - I tried so many times to read it and never got past the first half of the book, but I really like the audio - i'm up to book 12 right now.

I really liked the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but that isn't romance...I also listen to a lot of classics via audiobook (because I fall asleep when I try to read them)...

message 17: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Thanks!

message 18: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Lisa Anne - I looked through itunes and the selection seems to be pretty much the same as audible.

what kind of books are you most interested in?

message 19: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments PNR series. My favs are series like Dark-Hunter, LOTU, Demonica, Immortals After Dark, Midnight Breed, Argeneau Vamps, Love at Stake, etc. I've read or tried BDB, the Fever series, the Outlander series, and the Carpathians. I might try KMM's Highlander series, even though I'm currently into present-day books.
Did you find anything for yourself?

message 20: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) I just bought the first books in the Sookie Stackhouse & Ghostwalkers series.

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Paula wrote: I have been thinking about starting In Death, but am a little hesitant, as I have heard that it is really more suspence than romance. What do you think? ."

I second Dee's recommendation for Robb's In Death series. Erickssen's performance is just wonderful in this series.

The series is like a futuristic police procedural, but there is a strong romance between the main characters Eve and Roarke. I think you will enjoy it.

message 22: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Thank you. I just purchased the first audiobook in this series.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I haven't listened to it yet - but i picked up Ill Wind at Audible's most recent sale. the narrator sounded decent

message 24: by Wendalyn (last edited Feb 07, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Wendalyn Peterson | 22 comments They have that great deal going on now for a couple more days where you can pick up the first book of the series. Right now I am listening to Stray by Rachel Vincent, I just finished the Karen Marie Moning - Fever Series and the Audible is fantastic, I like everyone else love the Diana Gabaldon they are well worth it. Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville Series is fantastic also. I loved Charlaine Harris - Harper Connelly and Sookie Series, Kelley Armstrong - Otherworld Series, Kim Harrison - Hallow Series, Mary Janice Davidson but I wait for these to come on sale as they aren't very long therefore I won't spend the money on them but they are good. Oh and Patricia Briggs - Mercy Thompson series is great too. Richelle Mead - All of her series are great. Christine Feehan - Dark Series, Ghostwalkers & Drake Sisters are all fantastic also.

Which ones did you get that you have been disappointed in? I haven't really listened to any on audible that weren't any good. I like the idea that you can listen to the voice before you buy something. I joined the 2 credits a month and always use my credits. The sale they just had I ended up by 11 I didn't have.

message 25: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) Wendalyn - Lots of good suggestions - thanks! I generally prefer a series with the romance being the main focus & different couples in each book (although I did really like the Night Huntress series). Favorites: Outlander, Demonica, Immortals After Dark, Lords of the Underworld, Night Huntress, Moning's highlander series & Tairen Soul.

Also liked Dark Hunter, Black Dagger Brotherhood, Feehan's Dark series, Midnight Breed & Breeds o.k.

Didn't care for the Ice series by Anne Stuart.

message 26: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "Paula wrote: I have been thinking about starting In Death, but am a little hesitant, as I have heard that it is really more suspence than romance. What do you think? ."

I second Dee's recommendati..."

I Third Dee's recommendation. This series is my go to series. I have listened to Naked in death so many times. Audible has it on sale right now.

message 27: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) After all the great reviews, I'm looking forward to starting it - thanks!

message 28: by Lupdilup (new)

Lupdilup | 4 comments I started a audio books blog a few weeks ago, I have listened to almost 200+ audio books, they're mostly romance, so I decided to start sharing my opinions with the rest the world, ( I just review the narrator, and the listening experience) I get my books mostly from audible.com.
Here is my blog if you like to check it out, I post samples of the books, for all the people out there that don't have an access to them before they buy.
http://www.lupdilup.com/audio-books-b...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ill Wind (other topics)