Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Before I Fall
This topic is about Before I Fall
Before I Fall Discussions > What do you think of Sam?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (last edited Jan 31, 2011 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chloe (chloebooklover) Do you like Sam as a character? Do you agree with her decisions and choices? Her sense of style? Her way of talking?

Here's her bio from Lauren Oliver's website:

Sam

Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Scent: Jasmine
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Green
Height: 5'8"
Likes: Morning drives, fresh coffee, loud music, the smell of autumn leaves
Hates: Private jokes that don’t include her, buses, bananas, itchy fabrics
Motto: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I took quite a while to warm up to her, and her friends, but eventually I did.

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I liked her pretty quickly... I mean some of her actions were horrible in the beginning, especially the way she treated her little sister but I still thought she was entertaining (because it was fictional) which had a lot to do with the reader of the audiobook I listened too. I totally loved that voice. Later when Sam develops she really grew on me.

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments It also took me a while to warm up to her and to the story, but once I started figuring it out, I started liking her more. I wanted her to be a better person because I knew that deep inside she was not a mean girl. I was rooting for her, and that is such an essential part of me liking a book.

Chloe (chloebooklover) Adriana, I know how you feel! You can just tell that no matter how she acts, she is not a mean girl deep down!

Michelle (fckzayn) | 2 comments At first I really hated Sam, but then when she started to grow as a character I began to like her more. I very much enjoyed the chapter where she spends the day with her sister. It finally showed who Sam really was. I actually cried when she died for the final time.

Alyssa (shyluck13) | 25 comments I didn't like her for most of the story which was disappointing because I normally don't fall too hard for the book with an unlikable main character.

Audiaa | 7 comments I also had a hard time liking Sam. She doesn't seem to think about the consequences of her actions until she has to. She just follows what Lindsey does and what will keep her popular even if nobody actually likes her. Even when she tries to change she doesn't really change that much, and I don't think that the other characters will change much as a result of her actions (exception maybe Juliet).

Chloe (chloebooklover) Michelle wrote: "At first I really hated Sam, but then when she started to grow as a character I began to like her more. I very much enjoyed the chapter where she spends the day with her sister. It finally showed..."

The chapter she spends with her sister is my favourite in the whole book. I also cried at the end. I won't give anything away, but the end is just amazing :)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Sam and her friends were very much alike at the beginning - they didn't really think about what they did or notice the effect their actions had on others. They were so self-involved and totally unaware of anything else that was happening around them.

Sam changes, though. As she repeatedly relives the last day of her life, she starts to see how she and her clique affect those around them. As she begins to observe, she learns more about herself and about Lindsay. It's only as she grows that she becomes likeable and manages to redeem herself.

Unfortunately, her friends don't have the benefit of reliving one day in their lives. They don't experience anything to knock them out of their self-absorption - unless Sam's death does that.

Bdalton | 14 comments She begins as a very self-absorbed creature - frankly I see that same person in myself - nor intentionally cruel - but unaware and going along. But, she moves on from there and begins to see the impact that even her small acts has on the people around her. She also begins to appreciate people differently. I love books of self-discovery so I loved this character and this book.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I didn't quite like Sam, neither in the beginning, nor in the end. I enjoyed her journey to understanding what she did wrong, but in the end, frankly, I was put off by the choice she made how to spend even her last day.

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I think the good thing about Sam is she is a person who is willing to change. It took her a little while... she needed to see what she was doing to others first. The sad thing is though I think had she not had to live day after day over and over again this change wouldn't have happened. I was a little similar to Sam in some cases. My family wasn't that important to me as a teen. I made sure I made it to all my friend's houses on Thanksgiving and Christmas instead of just staying home with my family despite hurting my moms feelings.

I don't blame Sam for following Lindsey. Most people in high school want to be popular. Yes there are the few that don't want to be... but most if they have the opportunity will try hard to be popular. That means being someone you aren't. I feel sorry that it meant so much to Sam.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Love this quote of Sam's
Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there’s a tomorrow. Maybe for you there’s one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around in it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there’s only today. And the truth is, you never really know.

Jennifer (jenbooksrocks) | 6 comments I feel very similar to a lot of you, I didn't like Sam in the beginning, but then liked her as the story went on. I feel like she would never have changed without this one day repeating and that makes me angry. It sort of sends the message that if something supernatural doesn't happen to you, you are doomed to be the same. But all in all I liked the book and came very close to tears at the end.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) I didn't like Sam at all in the beginning of the book. She and her friends came across as self absorbed spoiled brats. I was "luke warm" to her by the end of the book. I thought the book was great.... Sam herself didn't impress me much. She changed somewhat... but not enough for someone living their last day. Does that make sense??

She argued with Lindsay.... but she never really stood up to her. If she thought that the things they were doing to other people were so bad.... why did she continue to hang around with Lindsay? So in a way, she never really changed.

Rachel Alice | 49 comments I wouldn't say that I ever exactly hated Sam, I disliked Lindsay more, but I really appreciated her growth throughout the novel. She didn't turn into a completely different person, she was never perfect, but she came to understand the effect she had on others' lives and understand herself as well.

Days 1 and 2 of the book were well written enough to keep me reading, but as soon as she admitted to herself that she was dead, I couldn't put it down.

message 18: by Grace (last edited Feb 16, 2011 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Jennifer wrote: "I feel like she would never have changed without this one day repeating and that makes me angry. It sort of sends the message that if something supernatural doesn't happen to you, you are doomed to be the same...."

I disagree about the message this book sends. I believe the message is - DON'T wait for something miraculous or supernatural to open your eyes to what you're doing. Every day you should: Pay attention to those around you; Think about what you do and say; Try to put yourself in their shoes; Consider how you would feel if someone did what you're about to do.

Most importantly though - don't believe that you need to hurt people to be popular. Being feared is NOT the same as being liked - contrary to what much of our pop culture seems to say about popularity. It seems that what started out as cautionary tales and counter-examples are turning into exemplars of what it means to be popular.

message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with Grace about the message of the book. In fact one thing I love about it is that this is the first book I feel we have read in a long time as a book of the month that has a great message!

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Kat (LvnEvryMin) wrote: "I didn't like Sam at all in the beginning of the book. She and her friends came across as self absorbed spoiled brats. I was "luke warm" to her by the end of the book. I thought the book was great..."

I agree with you, Kat. I liked that there was a transformation in Sam, but unfortunately not much of a transformation IMO. I strongly believed Sam needed to confront her friends, but she probably in the end didn't want to stir things up and settled on not altering their "friendship" in any way. If I remember it right, she kept stressing on what great friends they were.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary (mryrbnsn) I hated her at first. She was so so shallow and some of the things she and her friends did made me hate her even more. As the story went on I started to understand her choices (who doesn't want to fit in in high school?) and even though I'd like to think I'd do things differently to 'climb the social ladder', I connected with her. I think that's something Lauren Oliver did great- she made me connect and get attached to a main character whom I was determined to hate in the beginning. I just really loved this book.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Tatiana wrote: "I strongly believed Sam needed to confront her friends, but she probably in the end didn't want to stir things up and settled on not altering their "friendship" in any way."

Well - Sam DID confront Lindsay and Lindsay didn't get the message. She pushed Sam away and the other two friends just followed along without considering whether Sam's complaint had any value. Sam and Juliet still died at the end of that day.

True - confronting one's friends is probably best if you want to really change things but there's only so much you can do in a single day so Sam had to settle for making small changes. She broke out of the cycle of repeating days in the end by saving Juliet even though her life still ended.

message 23: by Julia (new) - rated it 1 star

Julia | 432 comments I am on page 86 of the book and giving up on the book, because I can't stand Sam, her friends, or how they treat people, or their entitled way, their choices, their actions and deeds. That not even Sam really changes much, seals the deal!

Life's too short to read books you hate!

Patricia (venio) | 13 comments Julia wrote: "I am on page 86 of the book and giving up on the book, because I can't stand Sam, her friends, or how they treat people, or their entitled way, their choices, their actions and deeds. That not even..."

It takes her like.. over half the book is even become remotely likable, atleast to me... I find the book extremely predictable ... idk, it was okay.. but I feel like youre not missing much by not continuing.

message 25: by Julia (last edited Feb 28, 2011 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Julia | 432 comments Thanks Patricia,

That's the feeling I got from the discussion here, that it's not one I'm ever going to like. This summer I finished rereading The Catcher in the Rye in spite of despising Holden Caulfied, but it's less than half the pages.

When you can't stand the POV characters, find nothing worth reading about the book and it's not required and it's looooong. Well...

Sophia (thesophiachang) Infinite Playlist wrote: "I still thought she was entertaining (because it was fictional) which had a lot to do with the reader of the audiobook I listened too"

lol I very nearly bought the audiobook because Sarah Drew (Everwood, Grey's Anatomy) was narrating, but I
just couldn't reconcile the extreme popularity of Sam with the parts that the actress usually plays (Hannah on Everwood who was the uber-dork and the goody-two-shoes 28-year-old virgin on Grey's)

message 27: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

OH interesting about the audio book!