YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Archived > The Maze Runner by James Dashner: February 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

This thread will contain SPOILERS, so don't read it if you don't want to know. Also, as this is the first book in the series, please don't write spoilers about future books in this series. Thanks!

Let the discussion begin!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie I just finished this book today...I know it's not February yet but I couldn't help myself! :) I REALLY enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one. It took me a few chapters to really get into it but once I did found it really hard to tear myself away from it. Great pick and great read!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I totally know how you feel! I love this book so much. I loved the mystery and that even when I thought I had everything figured out, the book went in a complete opposite direction than I thought. I couldn't predict anything and I really like it when books can do that! I've already read book two and now I'm like bursting at the seams for the third one!

What was your favorite part?

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie I think my favorite part was when Thomas ran into the maze right before the gate closed to help Alby and Minho. I was shocked but that was when the intensity of the book started for me. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end and then the trailer for the second book got me even more anxious to start on the second book. I am making myself read Hunger Games first as I have already downloaded it on my Kindle but my next one will be Maze Runner #2!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved that part too! The whole time he was in the maze that night was totally intense and I loved it. I liked how much he was willing to sacrifice for people he didn't really even know, and he was only doing it because it was right. The ending does kinda suck because it's a huge cliffhanger, but the second book is really good!

That's a hard choice! But The Hunger Games is AMAZING, and at least The Scorch Trials will be waiting for you when you're finished! :)

Starry-Eyed Jen (starryeyedjen) Amy wrote: "I totally know how you feel! I love this book so much. I loved the mystery and that even when I thought I had everything figured out, the book went in a complete opposite direction than I thought. ..."

i loved that about this book, too. i read so much that a lot of stories seem so predictable, but this one really surprised me. it took me a few chapters to get into it, but then i was hooked. i've already read 'the scorch trials' and am eagerly awaiting the release of 'the death cure' this year.

ALittleBrittofFun (yourfriendb) I loved this book. I'm currently waiting on the second one at the library. It reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games trilogy. It had the same kind of vibe to me. I enjoyed that you kind of find out things little by little along with the main character then at the end you get enough information to be satisfied but they still leave you wanting more. Can't wait to read Scorch Trials!

message 8: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (selkie) | 2 comments The Maze Runner was such a good book. I thought the concept was really original and the characters were interesting. When Tom's friend died, it sort of reminded me of Lord of the Flies when Piggy died. It was the kind of book that kept you on your toes and kept guessing!

I've read the Scorch Trials and I have to say it wasn't as good as the first one. Don't worry I'm not going to give away any spoilers but it just seemed like a filler novel so that Dashner can focus on the third one.

message 9: by Chantal (new)

Chantal I agree Tabitha on the Scorch trials being a filler, I have high hopes for the third one though.

The maze runner is such a good novel I read it in one sitting, got a few hours of sleep and had to read the 2nd one. When I think of the novels development it's kinda unreal. You start out not knowing what it's about at all, it's kinda strange really. And by the time it's over, you're presented with the apocalypse scenario and it's just woah.

I suck at reviewing, so don't consider this one, I'm just rambling :)

I though it was going to be some weird novel that rich people are using these children as entertainment, something along the lines of the hunger games.

I cannot wait to find out what happens next.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You guys are right, I never really thought that the second one was filler, but now that I think about it, I can totally see what you mean! I still loved it though!

I really liked how the beginning of the book they're trying to figure out how to escape the maze, but when they actually do, the outside world is much worse. It was cool how it turned itself into an apocalyptic because I didn't expect that when I started the book.

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I need to start it as soon as I'm done with The Dead-Tossed Waves.

message 12: by TiffBurlin (new)

TiffBurlin | 8 comments i hate to ask but does any one have this book on the nook that they can lend. I'm dying to read it :) pretty please

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no! I only have my hard copy! I'm sorry :( It's totally worth buying though! I hope you can find a copy!

message 14: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Hebert I loved The Maze Runner (and The Scorch Trials for that matter). I think they are both well-written and keep me turning pages! I read through The Scorch Trials in a day.

Anyway, back to The Maze Runner...it kept me guessing until the end. I was shocked (and sad) when Chuck died and a little heartbroken when I found out they weren't really safe. I *knew* they couldn't be, because there are 2 more books in the series, but it was still sad because I became attached to all of those characters.

message 15: by TiffBurlin (new)

TiffBurlin | 8 comments Amy wrote: "Oh no! I only have my hard copy! I'm sorry :( It's totally worth buying though! I hope you can find a copy!"

Thanks Amy i will probably have to buy it, just have to wait til next wk. :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I was totally shocked when Chuck died. He was so awesome! And he really wanted to find his mom. It was amazing how someone so young was willing to sacrifice so much for the people he cared about.

Kyla, I know how you feel! I wanted them to all be safe too, but then there wouldn't have been another book! So hopefully everything works out for them!

So what do you guys think about WICKED?

message 17: by ♔ Shayna (new)

♔ Shayna  | 17 comments Did anyone get the feeling that Chuck was made to sacrifice himself for Thomas, like how Gally was made to spy on them all and freak them out? Not to ruin Chuck's honor, but that's what I got from the Creator's note at the end.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Well that's a really good point! But also, even if he had been created for it, he still had the choice to do it or not do it. WICKED didn't have control of the actions of the boys. (I don't think?). Since he did choose to save Thomas, he was awesome! I loved Chuck. I really like your point though, it gives me a lot to think about!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments I loved it! Every time I tried to guess what would happen next, I was completely surprised and wrong! It kept the mystery of what was really happening through the whole story.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Tiffany wrote: "i hate to ask but does any one have this book on the nook that they can lend. I'm dying to read it :) pretty please"

My copy is on my nook, do you still need it? If so message me so we can swap emails. I have a Nook Wifi.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Amy wrote: "You guys are right, I never really thought that the second one was filler, but now that I think about it, I can totally see what you mean! I still loved it though!

I really liked how the beginning..."

In that case, I think I'll wait to read #2 until the third one is out, that way I can jump right into the third book.

Does anyone know if there is a release date for it?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

It will probably be out sometime in October. The Scorch Trials came out in October last year and it's usually about a year in between books.

What did you think of the book Nicole?

message 23: by Shakira (new)

Shakira Laufer (shiver623) | 28 comments Nicole wrote: "Amy wrote: "You guys are right, I never really thought that the second one was filler, but now that I think about it, I can totally see what you mean! I still loved it though!

I really liked how..."

Apparently The Death Cure will be coming out in October this year. In approximately 244 days, 19 hours and 47 minutes :)No I'm not really that big a nerd, there is a countdown on James Dashners blogspot (http://jamesdashner.blogspot.com/)

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Amy wrote: "It will probably be out sometime in October. The Scorch Trials came out in October last year and it's usually about a year in between books.

What did you think of the book Nicole?"

I loved it!

It was so suspenseful at times it drove me crazy when I had to put it down. When Thomas went into the maze to get Minho and Alby, I was glued to it.
And in the end when they finally made it out of the maze and Gally being there and Chuck getting murdered by him I was so upset because I really was hoping it'd work out for the kid.

And I don't know what I would prefer, Chuck being meant to sacrifice himself to save Thomas, or that Gally was really meant to kill Thomas. Either way I miss Chuck already.

@Shakira- Thanks! I will be as patiently as possible now waiting for 'The Death Cure' to come out in October.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

That was my favorite part too! Thomas was such a strong lead, which was a nice change from a lot of young adult books out there right now!

message 26: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Hebert It is hard to comment on what I think of WICKED without giving things away about The Scorch Trials, because it gives you a lot more insight into it. At the end of The Maze Runner, I felt like it was bad, regardless of what Teresa had said.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole_sheree) | 34 comments Kyla wrote: "It is hard to comment on what I think of WICKED without giving things away about The Scorch Trials, because it gives you a lot more insight into it. At the end of The Maze Runner, I felt like it wa..."

Yeah, thats how I feel now(having not read The Scortch Trials), even though I know there is more going on than meets the eye, just from that last tid bit at the very end of Maze Runner.

message 28: by Bethany (new)

Bethany hey everyone...just joined the group:) So, I read the maze runner a while back and I really liked it. I liked how it opened right up with this big mystery...why is this kid in a dark box? It pulled me right in. It's not one of my favorites,but I did enjoy it.

I'm currently reading the scorch trials...i'm like 100 pages in. I like it so far...i'm actually a little more into it than i was with the first book. I think because I know the characters now so i feel more invested or something...i dunno. I am very curious tho...to know WTH is going on...lol.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! I usually don't like the mysteries in books, especially when I can't figure them out! Ugh it bothers me! But in this book, I liked that it kept me guessing and that not everything was wrapped up with a pretty pink bow at the end.

I'm glad you're liking The Scorch Trials!

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula Williams (daystealer) | 42 comments Finished Maze Runner last week and had to say it kept me turning pages. I wished there was a little more romance in it--but hoping it's there in Scorch Trials. Read first three chapters and she's already missing. Will I be disappointed with the romance in book #2? C'mon, you can tell me--just say yes, the protag is way too shy or no, he gets some moxie (or no, she takes charge--that would be nice.)

message 31: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Finally finished scorch trials a few days ago. I have to say...i struggled through it...i kinda agree with the filler comment. didn't really get into it until the second half...then it got really good. and the ending totally makes you dying to read the third book.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you liked the Maze Runner Paula! The Scorch Trials is really good!

Bethany, yes, I agree! I need The Death Cure now!

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (Crazybeautiful1409) | 22 comments I really enjoyed the book and have even finished with scorch trials. I love his choice of curse words so to speak.. Like Klunk head! Or shank! Love it!! I couldn't help but laugh. The book really got me thinking what it would be like to have to endure such great feats in the name of a cure.

message 34: by Nichola (new)

Nichola | 28 comments I loved this book and zoomed through the scorch trials in hours. I am so excited for the third books, reminds me of the days when Lost was on. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I think The Death Cure will be amazing!

Haha and I also totally love the curse words! They are really funny!

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 70 comments The Maze Runner was so cool. Really original and chock full of suspense and mystery. And even though there is a cliffhanger, it isn't one of those frustrating ones.

The Grievers. are. disgusting. But in a good way. Actually, they reminded me of Blast Ended Screwts at first.

Scorch trials is waiting patiently for me on my bedside table . . .

message 37: by Jen (last edited Mar 11, 2011 02:02PM) (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I love this series. The Maze Runner kept me interested the entire book and made me want to read more. The Scorch Trials wasn't as good, but it was good. I'm still interested in the series, so I'm a hanging on fan.

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) Maybe I'm the only one but I liked The Scorch Trials just as much as The Maze Runner.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked The Scorch Trials Suzy! It's just really hard after finishing the second book to have to wait for the third! Maybe that's why I've convinced myself that it wasn't as good as The Maze Runner haha. But no, I did like it!

*Suzy (ereaderuser)* (suzyereaderuser) I know! There are so many 3rd in a series I'm waiting for. Luckily only a couple weeks until the last in the Forest of Hands and Teeth series!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Boo yah!! So excited for that one!

message 42: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Amy wrote: "I really enjoyed the book and have even finished with scorch trials. I love his choice of curse words so to speak.. Like Klunk head! Or shank! Love it!! I couldn't help but laugh. The book really g..."

LOL...I love Shank!!! The curse words are totally great! I just love Thomas too. I love his character...he's so sweet. I admit that it took me a while to get into the scorch trials, but once i was in...it was a done deal. So excited for the death cure!

message 43: by Candice (new)

Candice Abraham (candiceabraham) Hey Everyone. Am reading The Scorch Trials right now and just finished The Maze Runner. Loved Maze Runner and am enjoying Scorch Trials so far. I could go on and on about why - and maybe I will later ;) But I have a question about the Maze Runner.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out and have googled the question and everything but no luck yet. My question: What does Minho's name stand for?

Thomas stands for Thomas Edison
Newt for Isaac Newton
Winston for Winston Churchill I'm assuming
Alby for Albert Einstein
But Minho?

I read somewhere on Google that Minho's name is taken from a "future" famous person that none of us would know. Sorry if that's a spoiler for the next book (if it is I haven't read it yet). Has anyone heard anything like this, or have any other ideas? Or the answer so I can sleep at night?!? (lol)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not a spoiler for The Scorch Trials, because it's not answered in it haha, so there goes all your hopes and dreams. But I don't know! That's a good question! Maybe it is a name from the future. Hopefully we'll find out in The Death Cure!

message 45: by Candice (new)

Candice Abraham (candiceabraham) Amy wrote: "It's not a spoiler for The Scorch Trials, because it's not answered in it haha, so there goes all your hopes and dreams. But I don't know! That's a good question! Maybe it is a name from the future..."

Thanks for answering! I'll keep my fingers crossed then that we'll find out by the end of the series.

message 46: by Candice (new)

Candice Abraham (candiceabraham) Jennifer wrote: "Just joined this group. The Maze Runner was the first book I read on my NookColor. It was a amazing, and I got lots of sleepless nights because of it. As soon as I finished it I jumped right in to ..."

I agree with you Jennifer about one of the best parts being when Thomas goes to save Alby and Minho. I have to say that Minho might be my favorite character. I just really like his language and sense of humor and even though he comes off as this tough guy you know he's also trying to just do the right thing and save as many lives as possible. Yeah, he doesn't act that great when he's trapped in the Maze with Thomas and Alby but he more than makes up with it for how he supports Thomas later. I'm in the middle of the Scorch Trials right now....really liking it but I have to say not as much as the Maze Runner so far. I'll everyone know if that changes!

message 47: by Bethany (new)

Bethany I love them all!!! I love Thomas and I can't wait for the Death Cure when we'll finally get his whole story! I like Minho too, he's cocky and hilarious. I love Newt too. I really like the relationship between him and Thomas.

message 48: by Candice (new)

Candice Abraham (candiceabraham) Yes, Newt is great. Great characters all around!

message 49: by Shari (new)

Shari (sharik) | 18 comments Just finished The Maze Runner... holy shuck that was a great book :)

The first few chapters I found a bit hard to get into... a lot of information to process and nothing that was really clear or making sense. I think Dashner did that intentionally so the reader was as confused as the Gladers.... Literally as things began to click and clear up for me in my predictions, I'd turn the page and my thoughts would be confirmed. I loved that. I felt like I was following along with the readers learning as they were instead of seeing things chapters ahead of when things are confirmed.

I loved Thomas' natural leadership. The others sensed it, even Minho despite pretending after the Gathering that he was shooting big aiming small with the idea that Thomas should be the Keeper. Thomas' inate compassion for the rest of the gladers makes me think he's already been their leader and feels like their protector. I guess I'll see in the next book :)

Tom/Teresa connection has my curiosity piqued. As does the mention of test group B... is that the girls?

Looking forward to the next book!

message 50: by Josefina (new)

Josefina | 2 comments Guys I read the 3 books and I have to say they are awesome. I cried a river when Newt died. I was/am so sad. Anyway, James Dashner

« previous 1

YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Maze Runner (other topics)