Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > When is a series not a series?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool So, I've stumbled across a 'series' that just seems to be a publisher's marketing thing. the books seem totally unrelated except for genre, and the one edition of each that has "Lost Treasures" slapped on the cover.
Lost treasures
My objection is that it doesn't make sense to include editions that aren't from that publisher - or indeed any that don't have that seal on the cover. But that's not how series work. Either all editions are in the series, or none. I'd very much like to get rid of this series, but thought it wise to seek an opinion/ruling first.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
Darkpool wrote: "Either all editions are in the series, or none."

That is indeed the agreed-upon guideline.

message 3: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (rakuna) | 61 comments I have to say that even tough I accept this guideline because as for now the series always apply to all editions, it is sometimes rather frustrating too. There are some series similar to Lost treasures by Finnish publishers that are very well known here and popular as a reference list for buying and reading books. It would be very handy to have these series listed if they could be tagged to just some of the editions.

Ah, well I think this has been requested in the feedback group already, but a girl can wish, right?

message 4: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments There are a number of such "series" which are just collections of books the publisher wishes to connect, probably for marketing purposes. This is esp. true in the medical books, technical books, etc.

They are not related in any other way such as subject, just publisher and maybe they are published in a similar binding so they look nice on the shelf.

I don't think that should constitute a series either.

message 5: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool I think putting that info into the edition field makes more sense - the disadvantage being you can't click to bring up the whole list of books the way you can with the series link.

message 6: by Riikka (new)

Riikka (rakuna) | 61 comments Darkpool wrote: "I think putting that info into the edition field makes more sense - the disadvantage being you can't click to bring up the whole list of books the way you can with the series link."

That is true, and I do try to add that to the edition field, but not being able to search the books in the series in any way is still slightly frustrating.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Using the edition field is the standard right now. You could also use a listopia list, although there's no way to lock those. I wish there were a way to have an edition-specific collection that's static, but there isn't right now.

message 8: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments I have a similar question regarding the city lights pocket poet series
http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

However in this case the initial edition of all of the books was by city lights and are clearly numbered and the few editions not in the series are translations by other publishers. Plus the series is clearly recognized
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Lig...

SO I am leaning toward building the series so they can all be easily found. Does that make sense?

message 9: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon (jonp) | 146 comments I started adding the City Lights Pocket Poet Series numbers to the titles of the city lights editions and found several cases where earlier non series editions existed. Therefore it falls under the same non-series definition as given above, and no series will be created. I will continue adding the number to the existing "City Lights Pocket Poets Series)" Portion of the title on those published by city lights