Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > I hypothesize that you will leave a good quote here

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Leave your quotes from page 46 (or elsewhere) in your Science books.

message 2: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1611 comments Dr. Eckener's Dream Machine: The Great Zeppelin and the Dawn of Air Travel from page 181.

Flying a Zeppelin was an art requiring, among other things, a thorough knowledge of the physics of meteorology, and skilled practitioners were few. No one was more versed in this art than Hugo Eckener. For him every weather report was like a move in a game of sub-stratospheric chess. His aim was to work out what his opponent had in mind, then outwit him, avoiding a threat or taking advantage of it, or even on occasions meeting it head-on, always bearing in mind that any miscalculation could end in catastrophe.

message 3: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Coralie wrote: "Dr. Eckener's Dream Machine: The Great Zeppelin and the Dawn of Air Travel from page 181.

Flying a Zeppelin was an art requiring, among other things, a thorough knowledge of the phys..."

Great quote.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature

Breeders of asexual plants must wait for the inventions to accumulate slowly within the same lineage. One of the reasons the common mushroom has changed very little over the three centuries that it has been in cultivation is that mushrooms are asexual, and so no selective breeding has been possible.

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Changeless

"It is a possibility in this modern age, but it is only, at best, a working a hypothesis. It might be that Darwin is right, and we have attained a new age of preternatural evolution. It might be that the Templars are somehow involved. It might be that we are missing something vital." She directed a sharp glare at her silent spouse, "well, what has BUR uncovered?"

This is from page 49 on my nook. It is a Steampunk book and science is used creatively in this book, but I thought this quote would work for the thread.

message 6: by Susan (new)

from Oryx and Crake

He wipes his face on a corner of the sheet. "Pointless repiings," he says out loud. As often, he feels he has a listener: someone unseen, hidden behind the screen of leaves, watching him slyly.

message 7: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) from Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea:

Zero is powerful because it is infinity's twin. They are equal and opposite, yin and yang. They are equally paradoxical and troubling. The biggest questions in science and religion are about nothingness and eternity, the void and the infinite, zero and infinity.

message 8: by Susan (new)

from School's Out - Forever (really young adult science fiction, but on the science shelf):

"I'm sorry," said Anne. "These kids are tired and need to rest. One of my colleagues can answer any questions you might have."
"Excuse me, but your colleagues don't know jack about us," I reminded Anne through clenched teeth.
The doctor looked irritated, but he nodded and went back down the hall.
Anne smiled at me. We're trying to keep your existence somewhat quiet," she said. "Until we're certain you're safe. But that's great news about Nick."
We walked to the waiting area. The flock jumped up when they saw me. I smiled and gave them a thumbs-up.

message 9: by Susan (last edited Feb 12, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

From Delusions of Gender

from p. 46:

In the geeky room, men considered themselves significantly more interested in computer science than did women. But when the geek factor was removed from the surroundings, women showed equal interest to men. It seemed that a greater sense of belonging brought about this positive change. Simply by altering the decor, Cher-yan and colleagues were also able to increase women's interest in, for example, joining a hypothetical Web-design company.

from p. 138 (in a summary of what she's described in earlier paragraphs):

Nonexistent sex differences in language lateralization, mediated by nonexistent sex differences in corpus callosum structure, are widely believed to explain nonexistent sex differences in language skills.

message 10: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments from Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883, page 232

"Krakatoa's final twenty hours and fifty-six minutes were marked by a number of phases. First, from early afternoon on Sunday until about 7 p.m. there was a series of explosions and eruptions of steadily increasing frequency and vigor. For early evening the ash falls and the deluge of pumice began. By 8 p.m. the water had become the next medium of transmission of volcanic energy, and as night fell the temper of the sea in the Sunda Strait became one of unbridled ferocity.

Then, just before midnight, a series of air waves -- fast-moving, low-frequency shocks sent out invisibly and inaudibly by the detonations -- began arriving in Batavia...."

message 11: by Susan (new)

from The Accidental Time Machine

"Right." He started to close the door but left it open. If he wound up in water, he wanted to be able to jump out. "I'm ready if you are. Just point and shoot."

When Denny pushed the button, so did Matt. He was suddenly blind, immersed in opalescent gray. He heard Herman nervously scratching around in his box.

It was strange, but not unexpected. He had time to wonder whether it would be a minute, ten minutes, forty days -- and then all hell broke loose.

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal from American Gods by Neil Gaiman

The bird [a creepy raven] turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.

"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.

"F*** you," said the raven.

message 13: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments From A Brief History of Time by Stephen W. Hawking:

The present evidence therefore suggests that the universe will probably expand forever, but all we can really be sure of is that even if the universe is going to recollapse, it won't do so for a least another ten thousand million years, since it has already been expanding for at least that long. This should not unduly worry us: by that time, unless we have colonized beyond the Solar System, mankind will long since have died out, extinguished along with our sun!

message 14: by Susan (new)

from Nothing Human

Keith risked "Is what you're drawing a message from the pribir?" ...

Lillie's drawing was fairly crude: a human eye. Then she drew a mouse and heavily circled its eye. Then some sort of flying insect, with its eye circled. Underneath she put four symbols: a circle, a square, a triangle, and a short straight line. Then she began to rapidly write a whole string of these, as if they were an alphabet.

When she was done, she stood and stretched. "Tess, want some corn chips?"

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) From Blackout:

"What are Horrible Hodbins? Some sort of secret weaponery?"

"That is exactly what they are. A deady secret weapon. They're the worst children in history." She told Polly about the haystack fire and trying to put Theodore on the train and about Alf and Binnie's painting white stripes on Mr. Rudmans's Black Angus cows, so he could "See them during a blackout."

"It's a pity they couldn't have been evacuated to Berlin instead of Backbury" Eileen said'"Two weeks of coping with Alf and Binnie and Hitler would be BEGGING to surrender."

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
This is actually the opening paragraph from , but it just hooked me, so I couldn't pass it upDead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers by Michael Baden:

A good body bag gives up no clues. Little about what it contains should be detected by any of the five senses of the observer. And nothing should be presumed--not even the length of what's inside. Death, after all, changes everything. And unnatural death changes everything absolutely.

From The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:

"I've been very mysterious,though," she says, hey eyes squint half shut. "Because, of course, Haymitch hasn't bothered to tell me your strategies. But I've done my best with what I had to work with. How Katniss sacrificed herself for her sister. How you've both successfully struggled to overcome the barbarism of your district."

Barbarism? That's ironic coming from a woman helping to prepare us for slaughter. And what's she basing our success on? Our table manners?

"Everyone has thier reservations, naturally. You being fromt he coal district. But I said, and this was very clever of me, I said, 'Well, if you put enough pressure on coal it turns to perals!'" Effie bean at us so brilliantly that we have no choice but to respond enthusiastically to her cleverness even though it is wrong.

message 18: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments from Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease by Sharon Moalem, p. 100

"...The Guinea worm is a pure parasite; it lives off its human host for its own benefit, providing nothing, causing only harm. And when its victim feels the natural urge to plunge the sores the worm causes into cool water (and thus help the worms to spread), the infected person is experiencing a type of host manipulation -- the phenomenon that occurs when a parasite provokes its host to behave in a way that helps the parasite to survive and reproduce."

message 19: by Susan (new)

from If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!

At Willo's request, I have not guarded her identity by giving her a fictitious name. She is proud of what she has become and generous in her willingness to share the moving experience of her own painful struggle with other spiritual pilgrims. Willo grew up feeling unsupported by her mother as she was thrust into the role of an enigmatic decoration for a father who was deeply committed to the pursuit of his own professional achievements.

So - it turns out that my February ROAR Bonus book is also on the Science shelf. So here is a quote from The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson:

"Well," Dr. hardy said to me now. "First of all, they wouldn't call it a meditation retreat, because retreat is a no no word in the army. So it was called a meditation encampment. And it was hugely unsuccessful."

"How come?" I asked.

"The soldiers actually brawled with each other in the meditation setting," he said. "They brawled out of boredom."

message 21: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) LynnB wrote: "from Survival of the Sickest: A Medical Maverick Discovers Why We Need Disease by Sharon Moalem, p. 100

"...The Guinea worm is a pure parasite; it lives off its human ..."

Ewwwww.