Les Miserables: Sheet Music Les Miserables discussion

Les Miserables

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mom (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mom Amazing story! Would suggest the abridged version.

message 2: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Tiffany Laipply By all means, read the abridged version. I have read both and the unabridged is pointless. It doesn't add anything to the story except for more war history. I can do without that.

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Jonathan A friend once put it the best I've heard it:
"Hugo can be a little much sometimes."
Abridged is A-OK by me.
It's a great book.

message 4: by Emilly R (last edited Sep 28, 2008 09:54AM) (new)

Emilly R A great book,amazing story on how the world can change so fast,there were Eponine and aselma the two daughters of the innkeeper living the good life while the miserable Cosette worked from days and nights until her fortune and the life of her tormentors change for ever when the man that love her mother now love her as her own father.The story take the reader through the tumultuous years of revolt and changes in France.I do not recommend reading any abridged version.To me you must read Victor Hugo like you were reading the Bile,i hope i am not offending no one.

message 5: by Pandora (last edited Oct 10, 2008 10:50AM) (new)

Pandora Actually it is best to stay with the unabridged version. It is hard enough to get a good translation. The problem with abridgements is they can be badly done. I heard of one that took out the whole Waterloo part missing that the last chapter has an important story element in it. My advice is get the unabridged version and if you come to a part you don't want to read skip it. Let it be your choice though not someone elses.

message 6: by Jandteach (new)

Jandteach I loved this book in high school. I read the unabridged version. I still love it. The tale is timeless.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Francis I agree with Pandora - there are definitely bits that could be skipped, but I think it's important, and enjoyable, to read Hugo as Hugo wrote.

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda I have a question. I just got my younger brother hooked on Les Miserables the musical. Now, he really wants to read the book. Now, I've never read the book, but I'm sure it's nothing like the show. What age is appropriate to read the book? What's it's difficulty? Should I let him read it?

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie In my opinion, the musical is probably a good lead into the book. If your younger brother is willing to skim parts or put it down if it's too much for him (which I did a few times--and I'm old enough for it not to be an issue), I'd say go for it. I now work at a middle school and every year after the band teacher shows the musical (from PBS a few years ago--Colm Wilkinson as Val Jean), we'll have a few kids try to read the book. Most don't make it through. A few years ago I had some fabulous conversations with the few kids who read it...and then went on to read the Da Vinci Code. That, in my opinion, was a fairly remarkable group of kids....

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Alright, what if my brother is 10?

message 11: by Leslie (last edited Oct 10, 2008 04:43PM) (new)

Leslie Wow...I wouldn't recommend it for under 13-14 years old. There's so much beyond the story that might be difficult for a 10 year old (just explaining Fontiene's predicament!).

Some one might disagree...because I didn't recommend that Twilight be read by those younger than 12--and I was shot down in flames.

I wouldn't let my daughter read it yet....(which would probably make it something she'd want to sneak and read--but I don't think it's likely! )

message 12: by Pandora (new)

Pandora Ten is probably too young. But, my niece does have a friend who read Les Mes at twelve. It depends on what he has been exposed to and how advanced he is. There are kids who are very advanced readers. However it might be best to start him first on Charles Dickens before trying Hugo. I do believe that one should wait until they can read the true (unabridged) version rather than an adpated version. Another solution if he doesn't want to wait is to read the book together.

The thing about kids is a lot of them can handle more than we think they can. Also kids don't always see things the same way adults do. Adults can see all the psychological problems in fairy tales and kids just see a good story. That being said, this advice is coming someone who has no kids and has always been an advanced reader.

message 13: by Emilly R (new)

Emilly R I disagree,i believe,that age has nothing to do when one read these great book.Furthermore,a book like "Less Miserable"is so reach in characters;the story is so timeless that one can always go back and read it again,without feeling seally.

message 14: by Leslie (last edited Oct 13, 2008 12:09PM) (new)

Leslie I'm just not sure you want a 10 year old discussion prostitution etc. There are also a lot of 'head games' that I think a 10 year old would miss. You're right, he could always go back when he understood it more; however, I wouldn't want my kids to read about the evils of wars.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Francis I first read it when I was twelve, and I think that was definitely the very youngest age I would recommend it for.

message 16: by Chanelle (last edited Oct 13, 2008 12:27PM) (new)

Chanelle You should totally let him read it but proabably wait until he's a little older. I've only seen a couple play renditions of it and I'd say that those are more inappropriate than the actual story. The difficulty level depends on if he'd read the unabridged or the abridged, but I don't think it's too bad. It's really a great book!

message 17: by Niche (new)

Niche Does anyone know which translation is the best? I've collected 4 different ones over the years.

message 18: by K (new)

K uuummm...just responding to what leslie said.....i'm only 12, and i read the book and its ah-mazingly beautiful. i read it in june right before my 12th birthday and on the day of my birthday i was still reading it. i read and finished the version that's 1463 pgs in 3 weeks. it was awesome!!! =D

message 19: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Do it and you'll be thrilled and glad that you did!! I have done it both ways but the shorter is the better.