Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Who Is Your Favorite Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time Player?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I'm reading Live From New York by Tom Shales right now.

Did you know SNL was created because Johnny Carson wanted more time off? His show was rerun on Saturday nights, and NBC created SNL so that Carson's reruns could air on weeknights.

I also didn't know that Bill Murray wasn't on the original cast. I always thought he was, but he was brought in when Chevy Chase left after only one year.

My favorite cast member, by far, is Phil Hartman.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I never liked SNL much.

message 3: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments They definitely had their off seasons, for sure.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I liked it better when I was regularly using illegal substances.

It's true.

It just seemed to me (after I stopped using) that they often tried way too hard to be bizarre and "funny."

message 5: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart You did drugs, Larry?

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Southern Fried Britt wrote: "You did drugs, Larry?"

I did. Yup. My college roommate went to high school in the Panama Canal Zone, and turned me on to some fine herbal substances from that locale. I slid downhill from there for a few years. Afgan hashish was my drug of choice, for the most part. Black, gooey hallucinogenic hashish. I wonder if they even make that stuff anymore.

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Aynge, that's an outstanding book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Bill Murray's been my favorite.

message 8: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) either Dana Carvey, Eddie Murphy, or Steve Martin. SNL was in it's prime in my youth and there are so many good memories! Gilda is right up there too.

message 9: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 28, 2011 07:43PM) (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments The Not Ready for Prime Time Players were really just that first group. They dropped the name in 1980. So given that, my favorite was Gilda Radner.

Sigh...I feel like I've been around since the dawn of time.

If anybody should ever come across that book in the Talking Book edition (made for the library of congress), I produced it and my very very good friend Barry read it.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I had that in Granada, Spain, Larry, in 1998. It was weird.

That was a really fun, really bizarre semester in my life. Have you been there?

We had to ride a clickety, clackety loud night train to get to that part of the country. It took about 18 hours or so, I recall.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Regretfully I have never been there.

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments my favorite not ready for prime time player was gilda radner, 2nd favorite was jane curten. I never missed SNL in the early days.

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Chris Farley

message 14: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Belushi, with Murray a close second.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, John Belushi, Phil Hartman.

I like Bill Hader in the current crop a lot, and Kristen Wiig when she's not twitchy.

I really liked the Tina Fey - Amy poehler Weekend Update combo.

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Gilda for sure.

message 17: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I have her hair if I run a brush through it...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Gilda Radner and Bill Murray.
I loved that dance Gilda did with Steve Martin:

http://www.videolog.tv/video.php?id=4...

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Mmmm, Steve Martin, love him too.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments That's the second time Steve Martin has been mentioned, but he was never a cast member of SNL.

message 21: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 02, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Phil wrote: "That's the second time Steve Martin has been mentioned, but he was never a cast member of SNL."

True, Phil, just a very frequent guest host in the early years.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Didn't he write for the show, too?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Don't know, Larry. I think he wrote for the Smothers Brothers.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah I was wrong.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yay!
:::glomps Bun:::

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Phil wrote: "That's the second time Steve Martin has been mentioned, but he was never a cast member of SNL."

He was too, he was one of the Czechoslovakian brothers! "We're just two wild and crazy guys!" That was a recurring sketch!

message 27: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Oh, okay Jacks...frequent host, gotcha.

message 28: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I just watched the the whole of the 1st season on Netflix and I thought he was one...

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments SNL this weekend was kind of fun, with the drop ins by Mike Myers and Jon Lovitz. It reminded me that Wayne's World always got old really fast. The church lady was still funny.

message 30: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments There wasn't enough Dana. I was surprised to see Mike Meyers. In the book I'm reading right now, Dana Carvey said that Garth was added by the writers to Mike's Wayne skit, and Mike wasn't happy about it. He always felt like he was tolerated.

It would have been so great if Jon Lovitz did the Master Thespian skit.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.