Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Bed bugs in library books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Ew, ew, ew. I saw a post on another group about bed bugs found in library books. I was hoping it was a hoax so I googled it and yes, it's true. I saw reports from across the country including Denver and NYC, going back a few years.

I promptly checked the library book resting on the couch next to me. The recommendation was to check books before you bring them home.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments yikes! duly noted!!

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ew, ew, ew. I saw a post on another group about bed bugs found in library books. I was hoping it was a hoax so I googled it and yes, it's true. I saw reports from across the country including De..."

ewww

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ew, ew, ew. I saw a post on another group about bed bugs found in library books. I was hoping it was a hoax so I googled it and yes, it's true. I saw reports from across the country including De..."

Put this in the category of "How many things are we supposed to worry about at one time?" Did you have your 6 servings of fruit and vegetables? Did the waiter put a lemon wedge in your water? Is my plastic water bottle giving me cancer? Did you wash your banana before you peeled it? Etc., etc., etc.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 161 comments Just when you think you've heard everything!

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee (lineepineeaolcom) | 68 comments How many things are we supposed to worry about at one time?" Did you have your 6 servings of fruit and vegetables? Did the waiter put a lemon wedge in your water? Is my plastic water bottle giving me cancer? Did you wash your banana before you peeled

Yesterday I had one serving of fruit/veg--lettuce on a FRIED perch sandwich at a restaurant with lemon I put in my water..Later I drank more water out of a plastic bottle. However I refused to even buy a banana at 69 cents per pound and lime green.

message 7: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1392 comments I often have no more than one serving each of fruit and vegetables per day. I find that if I have more than that I have stomach problems. This is why I can't be a vegetarian. I think it has to do with having ancestors that wandered in the desert and evolved to get by on very little in the way of fruits and vegetables. I'm not built for that 6 servings rule. I don't think it's meant for everyone.

I try to avoid drinking water out of plastic bottles. I carry water in stainless steel bottles when I'm not at home. Unfortunately, I have to drink water out of plastic bottles when I take an airplane trip. Fortunately, this only happens once a year.

You don't need to wash bananas before peeling. All the toxics on the peel get thrown away with the peel and won't affect you. The same goes for any fruit with a discarded rind. You don't have to wash them and it doesn't matter if they're organic or not.

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee (lineepineeaolcom) | 68 comments a 12 pack of bottled water takes a year to use around here. I usually fill the stainless steel bottle to take on road trips.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments You don't need to wash bananas before peeling. All the toxics on the peel get thrown away with the peel and won't affect you. The same goes for any fruit with a discarded rind. You don't have to wash them and it doesn't matter if they're organic or not.

But if you peel the banana and don't wash your hands before touching it, you transfer all the germs, chemicals, etc. that were on the peel to the banana itself (according to the newest phobia).

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments I have never washed a banana, hadn't thought too. I usually use that "germy" peel to hold it though and rarely touch the actual fruit. Not true with the sections of an orange or clementine though. sigh. It is always something.
Daniel wrote: "But if you peel the banana and don't wash your hands before touching it, you transfer all the germs, chemicals, etc. that were on the peel to the banana itself (according to the newest phobia)"

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments sigh. It is always something.

Only if you let it bother you, Ann. Me, I'll eat dirt if it looks tasty, so what's a few stray germs in the big scheme of things. (I hear they have giant, mutant germs in power plants).

message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments I bring the books to the power plant. It either kills them or....

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3673 comments I never thought that with a banana. I guess it wouldn't bother me. If you go by what "they" say and worry about everything "they" claim don't mind me but you wouldn't be living. Someone told me that along time ago. I did finally tell my sister about the library books and she said ohh you are kidding. Years ago with going away on vacations certain people I know (not me) when they went on vacations or slept over in hotels they always carried their own pillow and then sometimes even had a beach towel they used to put over the blanket so they bed linens didn't even touch their face. And when you rent houses at the shore you always took their stuff off the bed and used your own stuff.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I have a vegetable once a week, whether I need it or not. Germs are good for you; antibacterial hand goo is for wimps. But I draw the line at any living organism large enough for me to see with my aging eyes. Bedbugs=bad.