Shakespeare Fans discussion

Group Readings > Any planned activity for 2011?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 85 comments January 25 was, accoring to the home page, the last day for discussion of Troilus and Cressida, but it didn't get much activity.

Has the next play been chosen, or is there not enough interest in this group at present to inspire a good discussion?

One possibility would be to read the English history plays in their chronological sequence, omitting Lear and starting with Richard II and going through the Henrys and Richard III in the sequence they took place historically.

Any interest in this or any other plays?

message 2: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa I'm up for it, but I read Henry 6(1-3) and Dick 3 last year. Happy to go for the rest though.

message 3: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 271 comments Count me in. I also read the Henry VI trilogy and Richard III last year. Richard II, Henry IV (1-2) and Henry V are okay with me, but I'd rather spice the history with a comedy and a tragedy.

Perhaps:
Troilus and Cressida
Much Ado About Nothing

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Jones | 1 comments I was at the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1994, and I saw a production of Henry VI, that was supposed to tour the U.S. It was fantastic. Sometimes you have to see a performance for the play to hit you.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 7 comments So is the group going forward with some selections?

message 6: by scherzo♫ (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:55AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 271 comments Jaime wrote: "So is the group going forward with some selections?"

I'd like to. Shall we start with Richard II starting Sunday 27 FEB?
Act I - 27 FEB to 5 MAR
Act II - 6 MAR to 12 MAR
Act III - 13 MAR to 19 MAR
Act IV - 20 MAR to 26 MAR
Act V - 27 MAR to 2 APR

Since it's only a couple of days til 27 FEB, would we need to start a week later on 6 MAR?

message 7: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Will join mid March, away from computers for a while early March. Don't wait for me I'll catch up.
Dick2 isn't a play I'm familiar with, so look forward to it.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 7 comments Is that the play everyone decided on?

message 9: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 271 comments Jaime wrote: "Is that the play everyone decided on?"

When I looked back through the early comments, there was a sense of agreement on Richard II. It's a great play with wonderful language in the speeches. I wanted to suggest a plan to get us started rather than go in circles about which play to begin reading.

I suggest we start with Richard II and discuss which play will be next at the same time.

Is that okay?

message 10: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 7 comments Sorry I didn't see Everyman's post on the histories. I always had a hard time following the history of the histories in college and they really don't interest me as much. I'll follow along if I can.

message 11: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 7 comments I checked a copy out from the library today...

message 12: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 271 comments I started a new thread for the Richard II discussion:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

... to separate posts about the play from posts about planning future activity.

Use this planning thread to suggest a play to read after Richard II.

message 13: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 7 comments Sounds good:)

message 14: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm Sad to see that there isn't much activity in the Shakespeare group.

It's not exactly Shakespeare, but there is a new book called "The Tragedy of Arthur" that got a good review in the New York Times. It's about a man whose father supposedly finds a lost Shakespeare play. Looks interesting.

I'm going to start it in a couple of weeks. Anyone interested in doing a group read?

message 15: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2748 comments Mod
Hi Lynnm, I am interested in doing a group read in the future. Unable to commit right now as I'm on an extended raod trip. "The Trgedy of Arthur" sounds like it might be a juicy read, but I shall have to pass on it for the moment.