Q&A with Syrie James discussion

Will there be a sequel to Dracula my love?

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Hello Mrs. James. I'm Jacqueline Young from America and I'm totally blind. I listened to your audio book of Dracula my love, and apsolutely loved it! Your writing was so good, I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to get back tor eading it when I stepped away to do something else. I felt sad, when Dracula was killed. I wanted, so badly for Dracula and Mina to be together one day. I was wondering, if there would be a sequel to this story? I'd ask more questions about the book in this topic if it's okay. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Jacqueline

message 2: by Syrie (new)

Syrie James | 44 comments Mod
Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "Hello Mrs. James. I'm Jacqueline Young from America and I'm totally blind. I listened to your audio book of Dracula my love, and apsolutely loved it! Your writing was so good, I couldn't put it dow..."

Thanks, Jacqueline. I really enjoyed writing Dracula, My Love, and I'm still haunted by the story and characters. The ending is open to interpretation. Did Dracula really die, or not...? What do you think?

I, too, would love to write a sequel to that novel. Feel free to write to the publisher and request one, or post a review on Amazon! And please tell your friends. (For those unfamiliar with the novel, you can read reviews of "Dracula, My Love" here if you wish: http://www.syriejames.com/DraculaRevi...)

I'd be happy to answer all your questions about the book here. Fire away (but please do not give away any plot spoilers!)

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Thanks Syrie for answering questions about the book. I really like how you added a story line to Mina, about her family and how she was an orphan as well as Johnithan. That adds more to the book. I guess my first question is, how did youcome up with the charictor of Mina, and how she looked and all that? sorry for my spelling and sorry if this doesn't make any since. did you watch any dracula movies to find out how she was portrayed? Also, I like the historical part in the book,as far as Dracula and Vlad the impaler. For those who don't know, there really was such a person in history and he was a prince in Romania i the 14th or 15th century. Thanks for answering syrie. I'll write more later and sorry for rambling on all.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Thanks syrie. I really like how the historical part to the book, linking Vlad the impaler to Dracula. For all who don't know, there was really such a man in Romania with this name in the middle ages. Anyway, my first question is, how did you come up with the plot for each person in the story? There is so much about Mina that is very fascinating because she was a remarkible woman of her times. Is it okay to mention the names in the story, as far as Dracula and all? sorry for my spelling.

message 5: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: " how did youcome up with the charictor of Mina, and how she looked and all that? did you watch any dracula movies to find out how she was portrayed?"

I relied on Bram Stoker's novel, not the movies, as my only source. There was absolutely no physical description of Mina in Stoker's Dracula, so I used my imagination. The only thing we learn about Mina in Stoker's novel is that she knows typing and shorthand, is very smart, sweet, logical, and orderly in thought, and loves Jonathan. There's nothing at all about her courtship with Jonathan and just one sentence that says she never knew her parents. I took that and ran with it, creating an entire back story for her--and had such a great time doing it!

It was a thrill dreaming up her secret, passionate romance with a dashing, charismatic, and accomplished Dracula, and inserting it into the gaps of the plot of the original classic. I like to think of it as the steamy romance that Bram Stoker didn't realize was going on inside his own novel.

message 6: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "how did you come up with the plot for each person in the story? ... Is it okay to mention the names in the story, as far as Dracula and all?"

I studied all the characters in the classic novel, Dracula, and came up with the back stories I believed were most fitting and fascinating. It was especially thrilling to invent a history for Dracula; since Bram Stoker never revealed a thing about his past, I was free to invent it myself.

And just to note (without giving away any spoilers): although other writers have chosen to imply that Dracula was in fact the horrible tyrant Vlad the Impaler, and there is indeed a tie to Vlad in "Dracula, My Love" ... you will discover in my novel that my Dracula is NOT Vlad at all!

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments I didn't know if you knew that Vlad and his brother were real people? Anyway, I bet it was fun creating Mina and the others. I love how sweet Dracula was, and I like his personality a lot. It's also neat how Dracula studied everything about England before coming here. I'm not sure how to ask many questions without giving things away as there is so much I want to ask and I don't want to give things away without others knowing what hapenes. did Brame stoker's novel have anything in it describing Lucy? I watched the movie from 1992 and that Lucy seemed as a victem and just boy crazy.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Also, did Dracula's real name come out of your imagination as well?

message 9: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "did Brame stoker's novel have anything in it describing Lucy?Also, did Dracula's real name come out of your imagination as well?"

The physical description of Lucy in Stoker's novel is inconsistent; in one place he describes her as having black hair, and in another her curls are "like sunlight." (She does, however, come across as a boy crazy flirt.) Yes, I did invent Dracula's first name (since Stoker did not.) And I thoroughly researched the history of the monster Vlad the Impaler before deciding if and how he would be involved in my Dracula's past.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments It's strange how stoker described Lucy's appearence different in his book in two different places. I think you did a great research on romanian names as well becauseDracula's name is Romanian. For the people in dracula's past, did you research names from that time or names of romania? It's also interesting how Mina played a great rule in Mina's life, and made her rethink things she never thought before. In your book, compared with stoker's book, it's clear that Dracula really loved Mina and would do anything for her. What are some of your favorite sceens from the book? I'll tell you some of mine later as I don't want to continue rambling. I'm sorry if my messages are too long. if they are, just tell me.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments It's neat how you chose Dracula's name as it is romanian along with his background. Did you research names of that time period for the people in his past or romanian names? It's neat to read how Dracula becomes a very important rule in Mina's life, thoughts and helps her to experience things she never had before. What were some of your favorite sceens in the book? or can you tell me that here? I'll tell you some of mine if you like.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments By the way, would you want me to call you Syrie or Mrs. James? Also sorry for my spelling on some things. Braille for blind people sometimes has just one letter for words.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments I appologize that some of these posts are on here twice. My screen reader isn't showing them posted.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments It's interesting how Mina also had visions of things, dreams that really happen. I like the fact of that too. was that something in stoker's book? I have a song that might relate to the dracula book. since I don't watch tv, I relate books I read and things to music. would you like me to show you? if you do, tell me how it would relate. I think it describes Mina's love for dracula very well but she knows they have to part.

message 15: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "It's interesting how Mina also had visions of things, dreams that really happen. I like the fact of that too. was that something in stoker's book? I have a song that might relate to the dracula boo..."

The element of visions/ Mina's ability to know things that might come to pass is something I created when envisioning and fleshing out her character (it is not in Stoker's book.) I thought it worked really well with the new plot twists and turns, and (without giving anything away) I had fun creating the back story/family history to support it. I hope you agree.

I'd love to know the name of a song that you feel exemplifies themes in Dracula, My Love.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Okay. This song is called final goodbye by rihanna. It's a great song. Maybe I'll find more. I think I found another that I will post. This one is the sad song for the immages of the book. Paste this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fze2k...
Hope you like it. tell me please if I'm right that it relates and how? actually I think I have two more songs that relate that I will post. I like how you created mina's story. it's wonderful. I don't know how to ask this, but quincy, the boy, could he possibly be, you know? Dracula's son? Maybe some vampire powers or soemthing? He looks a lot like him.

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Here's another song by one of my favorite singers, Jade anderson. I have the full song. this is the edited version but it will give you an idea. Tell me if this song relates too. I'll find more. The mystery behind this book, is whether Dracula is really dead or not? You all will have to read. Here's another song.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vB-eB-xE6o

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments The clothes and broach Dracula gave Mina, I like the way you describe it. did you imagine that? I love it. Here's a great song and it's one of my favorite classical peices. Thanks for including it in your book, tales from the vienna woods by strauss.
Here's the link. the song is slowing than my version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKT7t...

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments I hope you liked those songs. I'll post more today. can you tell me little hints what ideas you have for the sequel if there will be one?Dracula gave Mina, I like the way you describe it. did you imagine that? I love it. Here's a great song and it's one of my favorite classical peices. Thanks for including it ..."

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments I have another song that relates to the happier side. this describes Mina with dracula and she's telling him ho she feels. The link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHTs7...

How long do I have to ask more questions? I really talking with you and learning more about the book.

message 21: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "Okay. This song is called final goodbye by rihanna. It's a great song. Maybe I'll find more. I think I found another that I will post. This one is the sad song for the immages of the book. Paste th..."

This is a beautiful song, and although as a pop song I think it's a bit too modern-feeling for this novel, it does reflect Dracula's heartfelt feelings for Mina in Dracula, My Love!

Since you love the way music relates to literature, (and you love vampires) I guarantee you will love my novel NOCTURNE. It is very romantic and full of references to music and specific songs. There is a lot of classic music in the book-- piano pieces by Rachmaninoff and such-- and here's a song you can listen to on YouTube which is the theme song for NOCTURNE. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCQMW...

message 22: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "Here's another song by one of my favorite singers, Jade anderson. I have the full song. this is the edited version but it will give you an idea. Tell me if this song relates too. I'll find more. Th..."

Very cool. I love the lyrics that describe her lover as mystical and hypnotizing/mesmerizing... just like Dracula.

message 23: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "The clothes and broach Dracula gave Mina, I like the way you describe it. did you imagine that? I love it. Here's a great song and it's one of my favorite classical peices. Thanks for including it ..."

Yes, I imagined the beautiful gown and broach that Dracula give Mina in DRACULA MY LOVE, along with every single other detail of their love story. There is no romance whatsoever in Stoker's novel; his Dracula is a blood-thirsty monster and his only scene with Mina is a horror scene. It was thrilling to completely invent all aspects of the romance between Mina and a very different Dracula-- a handsome, charismatic, cultured, magnetic, and very accomplished man.

I had great fun envisioning and writing the scene where Dracula waltzes with Mina to "Tales From the Vienna Wods" and literally sweeps her off her feet! (He is such an amazing dancer...)

This version of the song you linked to is slower than the ones I've heard, and what I envisioned for their dance at the pavilion--but it's an awesome song, isn't it?

message 24: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "How long do I have to ask more questions? I really talking with you and learning more about the book. "

The Q&A continue through the end of today (or possibly tomorrow?) You may also email me at authorsyriejames@gmail.com or leave a private message for me on Facebook and I'll try to answer your questions as time permits.

I really hope you can find a way to read NOCTURNE. Based on your questions here I believe you'll love it. There are no plans for an audio book as of yet, but I hope there will be eventually. In the meantime, with all of today's wonderful new technology, I hope you have a way of "listening" to the novel.

Thanks for your interest in my work! Keep reading/listening and listening to music. I admire your tenacity and communication skills (one would never guess that you are blind), and I really enjoy and appreciate your enthusiasm!

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments Do you have a version of the song of tales from the vienna woods that you imagined them dancing to? I have a faster version on my comuter. I wish you had msn or yahoo messenger and I could somehow send you the songs and stuff if you'd like. what did you think of the song paradise? I think that one described Mina's love for dracula too. I'll have to check out nockturne somehow. do you think there is an ebook? I'll let you know how I enjoy the theme song for nockturne. thanks for sharing that. As far as me being blind, I use a screen reader called jaws for winds, that tells me what is on the screen. It doesn't help with graphics however, but when I discovered it, it opened a whole new world to me. I can write to you more about my life on facebook and stuff. I'll think of more to ask you if that's okay.

message 26: by Syrie (new)

Jacquelijacqueline wrote: "Do you have a version of the song of tales from the vienna woods that you imagined them dancing to? I have a faster version on my comuter. I wish you had msn or yahoo messenger and I could somehow ..."

I'll look for the version of that song that I listened to for inspiration. It's been nice chatting with you. If you're looking for my novel Nocturne, just to note it's spelled N O C T U R N E. (There is no K) Take care!!

Jacquelijacqueline Young | 19 comments aw. thanks for telling me aabout the spelling of the book title. sometimes I get it wrong. Thanks for looking for the song you had for inspiration and it's great chatting with you. It's a lot of fun. Did you know, there is a name Mina? not just willamina, sorry I can't spell it. Mina is a german name that means love. I like looking up names to see what they mean. Lol

unread topics | mark unread