The Sword and Laser discussion

dead tree/ebook/audio combo

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments As a rabid gamer i use a service called steam quite a bit. They have recently started a new feature where you get access to the mac version of a game when/if it is available when u buy the pc version. This made me think about the publishing industry. Would you pay premium, say $10 extra on a hardcover for a super deluxe version of a book that included ebook and audio versions with your dead tree purchase. This cost pubs essentially nothing, epub version just the digital file of the book they already have, and 10 for audio more than covers production/distribution costs. Lately this has been my rationalization for using quasi-legal ebooks, i will just pay for the real book and dl the digital version. I prefer to read the real book, but having it on my phone when i have down time is pretty great too, and i simply am never going to pay twice for something if i can help it. Dead tree versions are going the way of the dodo anyway, this would help ease the transition. Your thoughts?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lapowell) I wouldn't pay $10, since that is about the cost of most new ebooks. But I'd pay up to $5 if it was a book I knew I would want to keep.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments Sounds like a good idea. as you say, the ebook/hard copy combo wouldn't add to publishing costs. obviously audio versions require extra costs, although whether as much as justifies the charge is an old and ongoing debate. the audible website actually makes them affordable, so long as you're happy buying at least one every month. the bigger issue with that is one of availability; if you're after something even vaguely obscure or away from the mainstream of a particular genre chances are they won't have it.

my son loves steam, and spends way too much money on it. which i guess means that it's a really effective retail model!

message 4: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments yeah i sympathize, my games last year cost more than my pc, i was thinking they could even still use audible for that side too

message 5: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments A lot of the time now if you buy vinyl records they come with a mp3 version that you can download at no extra cost. It sounds like a similar idea and I like the idea of getting an ebook version if I buy the hardcover.

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4211 comments Yeah, I'd definitely be a supporter of either:
1) if I buy a dead tree edition, getting a free e-version (like they do on a lot of movies these days)
2) if I buy an audio version, getting a free e-version

Only things I don't see working are getting a free dead tree edition when buying an electronic version, or getting a free audio version when buying a dead tree or electronic version. I understand that audio versions need to account for paying voice actors/narrators and production costs. And obviously there is a material and distribution cost for dead tree editions. But electronic (Kindle, Nook, Sony, eReader, iBooks, etc) should always be available; they have no extra cost (or minimal, maybe for hosting support).

message 7: by Lekeshua (new)

Lekeshua | 14 comments I would be a supporter and don't have a problem with paying extra. Those who said they wouldn't hopefully you aren't paying for BluRay DVDs with digital version. Isn't that the same?

message 8: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments this wouldnt work for me as I am 100% digital and 0% audio.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I actually read an article explaining the hidden cost of eBooks (licensing, security, copyright, distribution) that makes me think this is not really a possibility.

I tend to just use whatever form I have.

message 10: by Elton (new)

Elton Gahr What I would really like is to have the audio book and e-books synced. I often prefer to read books but time doesn't always allow that. If you could listen to a good reader and have the page in the e-book marked I'd pay something for that.

message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan (daniel-san) | 101 comments The hidden costs in eBook publishing will lessen over time once the process is more fleshed out. They are probably getting screwed on administrative costs with the copyrighting. Publishers are still largely in the 20th century, so this whole process is still painful. I think the cross-platform Steam idea may eventually come to pass, but right now I'm just happy if the book exists in ebook format at all. I have already started buying multiple formats of the same books though, so I'd really be into this idea.

message 12: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Can't be to expensive to bundle ebooks and paper. Baen does it, or they used to, haven't bought paper in a while. But Baen would include a CD with the entire series with new hardbacks. Plus they have a large selection of free books in their free library.

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 722 comments Naw, I pretty much prefer to buy only the digital version now. Reading on paper is not a pleasant experience for me anymore. (Sometimes I listen to audiobooks if I can get them from my library.)