Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Where do you get your ideas?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kim (last edited Jan 24, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Kim Crowley (kimcrow) | 1893 comments Where do your ideas come from? A book? A movie? Out of the blue? Share your experiences here.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam Celvin | 121 comments nature

message 3: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
I get my ideas by watching my friends. Picking up interesting pieces of conversations. Thinking really hard about how crazy life really is.

message 4: by Luna (new)

Luna (daughterofselene) | 87 comments Recently Ive been getting my ideas for origami( The Autumn Heart and Twintle Academy are my stories inspired by origami)

message 5: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments other literature and films, mostly. Most of my short stories are inspired or loosely based on songs in some way or another, whether I realise it or not.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (koalateabooks) T e s n i wrote: "other literature and films, mostly. Most of my short stories are inspired or loosely based on songs in some way or another, whether I realise it or not."

Hey, me too. I get some of my ideas from songs, which I sometimes base short stories on.
But I think I get my ideas mainly from my dreams, because they can be pretty whacky, and only if I can remember them when I wake up. I keep a dream journal, so I can look back on the stuff and see what I can use.

Also, personal life experiences have a huge input on my stories.

Or random images. I just sit and look at the picture and wonder what the story behind it is.

:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I get my ideas in bed at one in the morning when I'm trying to fall asleep. My characters are extremely loud then--I think they must be in different time zone.

Actually, in this case, I'm still getting ideas at three.

I get a lot of inspiration from listening to my family's conversations and movies as well.

message 8: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I get my ideas from talking to myself. I carry out conversations in-character, and sometimes I'll say one line that makes me stop and go, "Wait, why did I say that? What context is that in?"

...Yes, I realize that makes me sound crazy.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You're not the only one. I don't do that exactly, but I do talk to myself.

message 10: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) It's a good way to carry out a conversation with someone who understands you. :D

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

xD

I used to talk to my characters out loud, though. I'd hear their response in my head and would carry on my part of the conversation out loud when I was bored. But now my characters are created differently and they don't like talking to me as much. Haha.

message 12: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) I have conversations between characters out loud. It's annoying because often it's just four or so lines that go around in loops, with me tweaking them just a little each time I say them to really get across the message I want.

message 13: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
In the shower, when I'm trying to sleep, when I'm walking between classes, when I'm sitting in the car, when I'm shelving books at the library, when I randomly overhear other people's conversations ... whenever characters decide to pop into my head and wander around until I pay attention to them. Usually it takes a while for me to figure out exactly what they're trying to tell me, though. Sometimes another character has to pop up and help them out ... etc. It's a strange process.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It really is. What helps me get ideas, when I'm blocked, is writing out what the story needs. Then all these daydreams about possible ways to fill those needs arise.

My imagination has been buzzing almost non-stop lately, though. I seriously can't sleep because my brain won't stop working.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments Ehh......car rides, school, friends, movies, other books, the way I wish my life to be, a friend I wish to have....lots of things. :P

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I get a lot of my ideas from my moments of desperation. I become so eager and starved for ideas that I look at everything with a more imaginative eye, so I end up twisting everyday things like closing doors into a plot point.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura  | 911 comments I get my inspiration from things I've seen in movies (Studio Ghibli inspires lots of my fantasy settings), but my characters are based on people I know in real life.

message 18: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 38 comments my life/others, other books

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

I get them from the Idea Fairy. Duh.

message 20: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Laura wrote: "I get my inspiration from things I've seen in movies (Studio Ghibli inspires lots of my fantasy settings), but my characters are based on people I know in real life."

WOOT! STUDIO GHIBLI!

message 21: by RedPath (last edited Mar 05, 2011 09:04PM) (new)

RedPath | 853 comments I can't really use any of my dreams as ideas (not much story potential in shooting zombies with confetti cannons. Then again, I might have some use for a big, red snake with aligator skin... I'll stop rambling now))

I guess a lot of my ideas come from how things react to each other. And from making weird (and particularly obscure) connections to things and places and stuff. And giving little personalities to numbers and letters XD

In short, anything that sparks my curiosity provokes the storyteller in me ^///^

message 22: by GSGS (new)

GSGS | 68 comments RedPath! Fancy meeting you here.

This is gonna sound weird... but ideas for me start to roll in when I smell this lime soap or something. It might just be semi-toxic chemicals in there, but it does force my creative hat onto my head.

message 23: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 853 comments GSGS! Yes, fancy indeed. Watsacoinkidink.

And chemicals bring out the best in us :)

message 24: by GSGS (new)

GSGS | 68 comments I hasn't spoken with you for a while. Well, I have through ma faery friends, but beside that... =D

ROFL!

message 25: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 853 comments Ahahaha. Flame is a good messenger :)

And it's true! All of my best friends sniff sharpies!

message 26: by GSGS (new)

GSGS | 68 comments Heehee. I would ruffle her hair affectionately if she wouldn't bite me.

Eeew I hate the smell of sharpies. They make me light-headed.
And what about Smiggle pens?

message 27: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 853 comments Smiggle pens?

message 28: by GSGS (new)

GSGS | 68 comments Hmm. Maybe you don't have smiggle where you are.
It's a physchedelic stationary brand http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgur...
as demonstrated here <<<

The pens have a scent; apparently smelling them kills brain cells.

message 29: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 853 comments Wow. That's pretty nifty O.o

message 30: by GSGS (new)

GSGS | 68 comments LOL yeah. Y'know, in a maths test *SNIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFs pen* Oh god. I just killed the brain cell that knows how to do this damn question. Craaaaaaaap!!

message 31: by Nellee (new)

Nellee | 33 comments They just come to me :)

message 32: by Maddie (new)

Maddie  | 254 comments I get ideas from: Dreams, my life expierences, People in the store, and sometimes I just sit and I start typing.

message 33: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

I get them from the Idea Fairy. Duh."

I think my Idea Fairy died.

message 34: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) | 3211 comments I just pick mine up...like the other day we had an assembly on texting and driving...BAM! Idea.

message 35: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Autumn [feeling smiley] :D wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

I think my Idea Fairy died."

OH NOOO!!
CLAP IF YOU BELIEVE IN IDEA FAIRIES! CLAP!

message 36: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments *claps*

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Autumn [feeling smiley] :D wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

I think mine turned into a serial killer or something.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments Mine joined the Marines(anyone who gets the reference is awesome).

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

METHINKS I GEDDIT.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Methinks so.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Would it be an NCIS reference? Mayhaps?

message 44: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Autumn [feeling smiley] :D wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

After finding out she was in fact nonexistent, mine probably couldn't take the pain of being a mere item of my subconscious and crumbled into dust.

message 45: by Monica (new)

Monica (megonegicega) | 33 comments I get ideas in dreams. I don't usually use the ideas, but then I have a dream that is on the same subject. Last night I had a faery dream and then woke up and then went back to sleep and dreamed about faeries again, but it was not the same type of faery. I'm strange.

And I don't think I have Idea Faery. Or Fairy. My brilliant ideas look stupid when I write them down.

message 46: by Elliott (new)

SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "Autumn [feeling smiley] :D wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "I get my ideas from your MOM. Just kidding.

I think mine turned int..."

I love you, Cassie.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments SKitts/Cassie [swimming through sick lullabies] wrote: "Would it be an NCIS reference? Mayhaps?"

No. It's much nerdier than that.

In the Marines, the Idea Fairy is a term for when you have a great plan, but then you think of another plan that totally fails.

I know, NERDY.

message 48: by Elliott (new)

*confusion*

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie | 43 comments i get my ideas from dreams sometimes or random thoughts. Also every now and then i will do one based off of classic fairy tales. Right now i am working with an idea of a twist on The Juniper Tree. That's a freaky but good story!

message 50: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
OMIGOSHOMIGOSH

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.