Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > ISBNs for 2 different editions = same

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (meraanam) | 6 comments Hi all. this is my first post here, so just wanted to say hi, and also...

I searched for a 50th anniversary edition version of "To Kill A Mockingbird" by the ISBNs on the back:

And both of them lead to the same edition, but not the one I have in front of me. Or at least the cover art is different. I did find the item with this cover art, but it has no ISBNs (naturally, because those ISBNs are already taken).

This is the one on GoodReads that has the ISBNs:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26...

And this is the one that doesn't:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/85...

Is there no way of having the same ISBNs in both these titles? Or maybe add the 10 digit one to the first, and the 13 digit to the 2nd, so they're both retrievable that way?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Nope. Only one edition of the book can have the ISBN. In the description field, when somebody adds an alternate cover edition, they can put alternate edition for ISBN 0061120081 (ISBN13: 9780061120084), or any librarian can also do that.

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (meraanam) | 6 comments Okay, but that still doesn't seem to bring the book up in a search, so I don't see much point in it. Unless you can do an advanced search? I haven't checked that out.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments No, it won't bring up the book when doing a search using ISBN; that is true.

There is a point in it though: the more information the better, and alternate cover editions are less likely to be accidentally deleted.

Also, except for books that have many, many editions, when searching through the editions, searchers will be able to find the cover and then see via its ISBN in the description field, date of publication, etc. that it's the edition they are looking for.

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (meraanam) | 6 comments Yep, okay. fair enough. it isn't ideal but it will do ;)