Outlander Series discussion

Archived > I need help with an English assingment!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mamamichelle (new)

Mamamichelle | 163 comments Ok, so I need a little help! I have an assingment in an English lit class, that I know this site will help me with...here goes...

I have to read about 4 paragraphs of any book I choose in front of class and try to convince them to read my book...

So, which book in the series and what passage?
Please help!

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments OOooooh, how about when Claire is tied to the stake getting whipped and Jamie rides through and screams out, "Claire, hold still." And whips the jet onyx rosary at her head then says 'cut her down!'. I love that part and I think it would appeal to men and women.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrica) I REALLY think you should find 4 paragraphs in Outlander since this is a very serial series. (Is that a proper phrase?) I mean, I don't think anyone would enjoy any book in the series without having first read the prior ones. What about the scene where Jamie sneaks into the fort to save Claire from Jack Randall's threat of rape.

message 4: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's another great idea.

message 5: by Mamamichelle (new)

Mamamichelle | 163 comments Those are great suggestions! I appreciate it! I was also thinking about when Jamie is sayin goodbye to Jem, and he talks about the large mouse named Michael....So many choices!

message 6: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's a good idea too, but I agree that you should find something in Outlander. That's the sellar, it's the first.

I do love that moment though, it broke my heart.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments I think the part in Outlander when Claire and Jamie are headed back to the castle and the Redcoats attack them and Claire has to fix Jamie up again. With all her swearing the men seem to think that she needs to be sent to St. Annes. Shows her 20th century attitude but you start to feel Claire and Jamies chemistry.

message 8: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Another wonderful part. I just love that book.

message 9: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments I love when they exchanged their wedding vow from the Outlander. I think that scene have a lot to offer, feeling wise. It also depicts the cultural aspect of the book. And you definitely have to quote the wedding vow. I love to be a butterfly on the wall when you read it to your class -- and see all of the girls’ reaction to it. Good luck with your report.

message 10: by Mamamichelle (new)

Mamamichelle | 163 comments I really do appreciate all of the advice and suggestions! Thanks!

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Your assignment from us Mamamichelle is that you come out of the class with a least one new Outlander fan!!

message 12: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments MM - Are you going to show them your tattoo?

message 13: by Mamamichelle (new)

Mamamichelle | 163 comments Well, they have all seen it! Most of them think I am crazy! I did start a book club, and I have sucked in 3 new fans...I am so glad that they are now addicted as well!

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments I sent my sister the whole set of the series about 2 weeks before Christmas. She is just finishing Echo and she is concerned because she is going to miss the wee laddie!

message 15: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Mamamichelle wrote: "Well, they have all seen it! Most of them think I am crazy! I did start a book club, and I have sucked in 3 new fans...I am so glad that they are now addicted as well!"

Good job! :-)

message 16: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 06, 2011 06:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) | 59 comments Mamamichelle wrote: "Ok, so I need a little help! I have an assingment in an English lit class, that I know this site will help me with...here goes...

I have to read about 4 paragraphs of any book I choose in front..."

I came across this advise from Diana herself and thought of you.

Scroll down to message 4 of this link.
http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx...

message 17: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments That is some well thought advice from Herself. Thanks for posting.