MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > Owning more than 1 ereader

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I know a lot of people own more than one ereader, but I don't. I didn't buy a kindle for multiple reasons (the main one being library access) but there is ONE BOOK that I really really want as an ebook: The Blue Sword (Damar, #1) by Robin McKinley . I've read this book about a million +1 times but I love it. There are only two stores that currently sell this book: Sony & Amazon.

My husband has told me on more than one occasion that it is stupid to buy a new ereader to buy a book that I've read before (especially when I can get it bound)...but he's not much of a reader.

Someone, please tell me that:

-I'm losing my mind
-to pick up my Kobo
-buy The Blue Sword as a bound copy

AND

-I don't need a new ereader cause the one I've had for less than 2 months is perfectly fine.

message 2: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments Can't the Kobo use Sony books? Or is it not like the Nook in that way?

I am contemplating buying a second reader, but that is because I want a NOOKcolor for night reading. I am not sure if I would buy another reader for only one book, but if you can afford to and you want to, why not?

Have you thought about stripping the drm? I have one book that I can't strip because it is a topaz file and I don't know how, so I read it on the Kindle for desktop app.

Also, I have emailed authors asking for their books to be available at certain places and more than one has done it. d

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments I strip the DRM as soon as I buy a book, so I don't actually know about this stuff in practice, but there must be a way to get Sony epubs onto your Kobo? Sony, like Kobo, just uses Adobe DRM.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 20, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

You should be able to use the Sony version - it's just Adobe epub like Kobo is. AFAIK, the only thing proprietary is the store software, the DRM should be the same for both once you actually have the file. Try it with a Sony freebie and see.

Edited to add: What Heather said. For some reason her post didn't show up when I posted. But hey, at least you've got more than one vote in the same direction! :)

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I can't really afford a new ereader...but reading is a truly bad habit for me. I've bought books before checking my budget to make sure I had money to buy groceries. I've been a lot better about it since we got married.

:) I don't know how to strip DRM. I was going to look for a plugin to Calibre but someone from MR told me that there was no plug in for epubs.

I'll try a Sony freebie and see what happens :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 20, 2011 04:13PM) (new)

Re plugins - I use Calibre + plugins for books from Sony, Kobo, B&N, Amazon, and anything with Adobe DRM. There is an ADE Epub plugin and one for B&N, cuz they just had to be different. I have yet to meet an epub that the plugins couldn't handle.

message 7: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments So do the plugins strip the drm? If they do I need to look into these. I can do azw files, but that is all I can do right now.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Carrie (Care) wrote: "So do the plugins strip the drm? If they do I need to look into these. I can do azw files, but that is all I can do right now."

Yes, once they are installed and setup, they do it automagically when the books are imported into Calibre. Kind of a "set it and forget it" thing.

message 9: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments Wow, cool! I have never thought about doing my epubs since I figure I will always have a reader to read epubs, but I guess you never know. I do put all of my books into calibre so I can edit the tags, so it's not like an extra step or anything.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Care - There's a PM coming your way in a moment...

message 11: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments I've got the DRM stripping down. I even have Calibre stripping Topaz for me, although I have to add the books from my Kindle rather than K4PC to make it happen.

But I am clearly missing something with Kobo promo codes. I've heard mention of these on MR but their prices are so high that even the 30% one didn't make it as cheap as Amazon. I'll admit that I don't usually pay much attention when they are posted so maybe there are much better ones.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Re Kobo codes - it really varies depending on the book you want to buy, so comparison shopping is almost always a requirement to make sure you're actually saving money over another site's price. I've been having so much trouble with the Kobo website it's almost not worth the effort at times. I just bought Starvation Heights with a coupon, which saved me some money but took almost 20 minutes. Grrrr.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm so glad it's not just me! Kobo's website drives me bonkers. I love my reader but I hate their website and their desktop app.

That's another reason to liberate - no telling how long they'll be around.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

No, it's definitely not just you. And would it kill them to add some sort of advanced search?? Nearly every search comes back with hundreds of results. I like their coupons (when they work) but I despise their site.

I've also noticed a dearth of commas in the book descriptions. It's always a little frightening to read something barely coherent on a site that sells books.

Amazon may have its flaws, but it is still my favorite site to shop for books. They have a knack for making shopping painless most of the time.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I went to Sony's website the other day. I really wish I'd just asked for the Sony, I love their website. Amazon is my favorite place to shop for everything, but the Kindle doesn't support library borrowing. :(

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I like Sony too. At first I didn't like the fact that they had proprietary store software, but I actually like using it. I see what you mean about the library, but for me personally, I learned a long time ago that the library works better in theory than in practice. I used to check a lot of books out of the library, but usually didn't read the majority of them.

If my library's selection improves or they join a consortium or something, I might invest in a second reader just for that. Until that happens, it's not worth it for me.

And before anyone asks, I can't be trusted to "modify" library books and get them gone on time. I know myself too well. I would forget to delete them and feel horrible later. I thought about it, but decided it's not for me.

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited Jan 22, 2011 03:42PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments My library here is rather bad, but the Philly free library is pretty decent.

But I'm like you, I can't be trusted to modify and remember. I'd forget about the loan, so if I had to modify I wouldn't use the library either.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Libraries make me slightly giddy, lol.

message 19: by Zoe (last edited Jan 23, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments The Kobo site never remembers me, either. The "remember me" checkbox is just there to taunt us.

For many of the books I buy, Kobo's coupons make a difference, often bringing them to a dollar or more cheaper than elsewhere, so I've bought from them more than anyone else. Amazon probably comes second, then Google Books and Sony. Inkmesh.com is my best friend.

I love being able to use the public libraries. In Tennessee, we have a statewide system (READS) for our Overdrive books, so the selection's not too bad (2,864 epubs and 5,391 PDFs as of today). I recently got a Free Library of Philadelphia card, too. The wait-lists are longer (not surprising since they're open to non-residents), but they carry books that READS doesn't, so it's a good complement.

I hadn't used the public library in years before I got my Sony. I'm terrible about getting books back. Now I don't have to worry about it.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather - if you look at the READS map (usually on the sign-in page), there are four counties not in the system - one of which is Davidson County where I am. I think two of others are Knox and Shelby, not sure about the third. I think the goal was to bring ebook availability to the less populated counties, and ironically they now have access to more than twice as many as we do. :)

After reading these posts yesterday, I thought about it and realized what my issue is - I've always loved libraries, but I like being IN the library. That's the magic for me. I guess that's why I never got excited over the idea of Overdrive. I used to use the online catalog to have books sent to my favorite branch, but it was never just picking up the books - I'd be there for at least half an hour each time I went, usually longer. I love what libraries represent; it wasn't so much about reading as it was, "OMG! Books!"

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I know how you feel! My best friend and I would be taken to the library every Saturday by his father. We would spend hours combing through shelves and discovering new authors. :) I found a lot of books that way. I miss that, that magical feeling you get when surrounded by books.

message 22: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Rider (zoexrider) | 36 comments Christa wrote: "Heather - if you look at the READS map (usually on the sign-in page), there are four counties not in the system

I didn't even notice that! My eyes always go straight up to my county in the corner, so I can get logged in and download my new book(s) as quickly as possible. :) It's great that they wanted to bring access to the less populated counties, but at the same time, it seems silly that they didn't do the whole state.

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I received my paperback copy of The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley yesterday. :D I have to admit to a stronger feeling of emotional satisfaction than I received from the ebook (borrowed it from the library).

message 24: by Ken (new)

Ken I have a Sony, a Kobo and an iPad. I always strip the DRM from any file that has it so that I can put it on any of the devices I have. I use Calibre for the cataloging and the conversion into the proper format if needed.

I will buy from whichever store gives me the best price for what I want to get.

I also get my Sci-Fi fix from Baen, as I get the monthly bundles there.

Ken

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) I'm surprised to hear people talking about stripping DRM. Isn't that illegal?

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken Hi Patricia, It depends on where you live on whether it is legal or not.

Ken

message 27: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments It's not illegal in the US to strip DRM on books you have a legal right to. It used to be then a court case changed things. For now there is an exception listed to the law making it legal for personal use. That may change when a higher court rules, but for now it's legal. It is still completely illegal to distribute copyrighted books. You may only strip the DRM to use on your own devices.

message 28: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments I have a second device on order that uses another format so I'm glad I can strip the DRM to load it with books I have legally purchased.

I bought the Literati despite the poor reviews. I was able to get it for $12 so couldn't pass it up. Bed, Bath, & Beyond has it clearanced for $39, I got a 20% off coupon for signing up for their mailing list, and ordered the last day of Feb. to qualify for the $20 rebate.

I read about the deal on MR and thought even if it doesn't last, for the price of a fast food meal for two, I wasn't going to pass it up. It is for occasional use by my kids and maybe other family members.

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) Cherrybomb wrote: "I have a second device on order that uses another format so I'm glad I can strip the DRM to load it with books I have legally purchased.

I bought the Literati despite the poor reviews. I was ab..."

Wow, only $12, what a deal! Should be good for the kids to use. Does it read ePub and PDF?

message 30: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments Seriously? My niece needs a reader. I wish I lived in the US so I could get it for her.

Cherrybomb, do you mean the last day of Jan? Or is the coupon still available?

message 31: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments Oh yes, I did meant Jan. 28th ... sorry! I was thinking the 28th and my mind went to Feb.

Anyway, you can still get it for $39 on their website or sign up online for their mailing list and they will send you a 20% off one item via email. You can take that to the store and order from there to make it about $32. They don't accept coupons for online order. Either way $39 is not a bad deal!

message 32: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments Patricia, I am not sure what formats it reads ... lol. I only know it will be different from the Kindle. I haven't even read the specs. I figured for $12 I would order now and ask questions later. Some people that have them love them and some hate them. We'll see...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I ordered a Literati from BBB too.My roommate has a birthday coming up.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments $12! I've got to check this out.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

To follow up on the previous question, the Literati reads ePubs and PDFs, Adobe DRM (or no DRM). On the web site they tout the Kobo store but in the manual it tells you all the ways to get other content onto it from other stores that sell ePubs and PDfs. Calibre is even mentioned in the manual as one of the methods for transferring content to the Literati. Oh, and it works with ADE, of course, so library books are a breeze.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Off topic!

Have you received that Foreign fee for ordering with Kobo? OOh, my bank makes me so mad!

message 37: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments MrsJ, you could only get it for $12 until 1/28. You can still get it for $32 by taking the 20% off item coupon to the store. They don't accept coupons online but you can order in store and have shipped directly to you. Even ordering online without a coupon the price is great at $39.

For anyone buying one I would suggest reading the thread at MR -
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/show...

It appears to me that this is a much better unit than some people report but the included manual is lacking and gives some incorrect information. I imagine that lots of folks just can't figure it out and therefore it gets some bad reviews.

Other users on MR have posted some of the issues and how they were resolved. One of the biggies seems to be getting it to recognize an SD card. Apparently, you have to insert while unit is on and then turn it off an one again. Whatever works...

message 38: by Carrie (Care), Group Founder & Fearless Leader (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 73 comments It seems like a steal even for $32. I did think about ordering one online for my niece, but then yesterday I looked through some threads at MR and I decided aginst it. Some poeple are having issues with it out of the box, and I know my 11 year old niece would be lost. If I were there to set it up and load everything (it would have to be sideloaded content since she would never have use of a credit card) I would do it. But I don't even live in the same country as her.

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I'm going to have to do that this week. Thank you!

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) Be sure to update this thread and tell us how you like it after you get it and use it for a while. I'm interested in hearing about it. Thanks!

message 41: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments Care, you are right that this is not the reader for a 12 year old unless there is a determined adult there to help. It seems the Literati has a high learning curve. I live for stuff like this so it's perfect for me. Things that are too easy tend to bore me. :-)

I will post my experiences to be sure.

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (last edited Feb 05, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments Ok, you just killed it for me right there, lol. I could buy it for myself or friends but not my mom. My mom had to have me create her gmail address and walk her step by step into logging in.

My mom is going to have to get something very uncomplicated. Kobo or Kindle only. Maybe a nook. The least amount of button pushing and things for her to get stuck on.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) MrsJoseph wrote: "Ok, you just killed it for me right there, lol. I could buy it for myself or friends but not my mom. My mom had to have me create her gmail address and walk her step by step into logging in.

..."

I have a Kindle and a Nook. The Kindle is much more user friendly.

message 44: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments Got my Literati today. I absolutely love it. I am going to use it for all my books that have photo inserts. I read lots of true crime and most of those do.

Despite the problems others have had, and I expected to have, my Literati has worked perfectly out of the box.

I charged it, updated the firmware twice. The only glitch, if you can even call it that, is that I had to enter my network password again after the first update. I then used the included USB cable (which I didn't expect to work since it hasn't for others)to side-load books from Calibre.

Both my computer and Calibre recognized my Literati right away. All of my Calibre files are saved as .mobi files so when I selected "send to device," Calibre asked if I wanted them converted to the appropriate format. I intentionlly didn't convert them first just to see what would happen. Turns out Calibre is pretty smart.

I then unhooked the Literati from my laptop and all my books were there. I haven't even inserted the SD card yet. I expected problems with recognizing internal memory but that never happened.

The brightness is adjustable so I turned it down to a comfortable level. Night mode looks cool - black background with white text - but it was burning my retinas so I'll never use it.

So far I am 100% satisfied.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried night mode last night too - when I closed my eyes I could see the text in front of me. My eyes are sensitive that way anyway - one flash of light stays as blob in my vision for a very long time. (I hate parties where people take a lot of flash photos for just that reason.)

Mine is working great too, except I can't get it to recognize an SD card. However, the only SD cards I have are a 4gb SDHC and a really old 256Mb SD, so it's quite possible it might work with a different card - I just don't have any others to try, so that will have to wait till I can get my hands on one. (My DSLR camera uses CF cards, so I don't have much else in the way of memory cards laying around.)

I don't even know that I need additional memory. It's going to be the "extra ereader" and will probably be used by my roommate much more than me, so I can just put stuff on as he needs/wants it. It'll hold at least a couple hundred epubs with the internal memory anyway.

The USB cable and the SD card are the only problems I had. The updates went so well I was actually shocked because so many people have had problems. Calibre recognized it immediately and I was able to put books on it with no problem. I'm happy.

message 46: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments Christa, try putting the SD card in while the unit is powered on. Then turn it off and back on again. I have read this is a glitch and following that sequence works.

I haven't even tried the SD card yet so don't know if that will be a problem. But, like you, I will never need it as long as the internal memory is working, which I didn't expect. I will only use the Literati for my photo books and for other family members to read on.

I was really shocked at how smoothly things went also. I am a bit confused at the problems people are having and wonder if some of it is just panic. Since the network had to be set up again after the first update maybe people get stuck there. It seemed like a no-brainer to me, but I can't think of anything else.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

You might be right about it being just panic. Some people just aren't good with tech. A few little issues that are nothing to me might turn into "this is a piece of $*&%" for someone else. I'm also wondering how much of it is their tech support. I've seen so many people say that had a problem and support said "send it back, we'll send another" without much troubleshooting. I imagine a lot of people just take it back for a refund instead.

There's another thing too - I don't know if you've seen some of the reviews, but apparently a bunch of blogs were sent Literatis to review right before they were released in the Fall. The units that were sent were not retail units - they had special firmware, and it was buggy. New units were sent out again, this time they were retail units, and the bloggers were told this and asked to re-review it. Many of them did, but not all, and some of them added the new information at the bottom of the original review instead of at the top or in place of the original review. That could not have been good for PR.

I tried the SD trick and it didn't work, but I'm not worried about that. It's so hard to get frustrated after paying only $40 for a color LCD ereader. But then, I'm like that - even when one of my computers has a problem, I just sit there and work on it till it's fixed then move on. I deal with tech so much better than I deal with people. I suppose that is both good and bad. :)

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments I can't find one anywhere, so people are buying them up.

I'm glad you guys aren't having any real problems.

message 49: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments MrsJ, sorry you can't find one anywhere. I figured when BB&B took them off their website they were running low. I will keep my eyes open for any exceptional deals and post here asap if I see any.

Christa, I'm confident you will get the SD card working. I will try mine today and see what happens.

I am the same way with tech stuff. I fool with it until I get success. When I lived in neighborhoods, everyone would bring me their computers to fix. Now I live out in the woods and don't know anybody so I am only the family tech person.

Last night I used my Literati to read Sisters on the Fly by Irene Rawlings in bed since it has nice color pictures on nearly every page. I found two issues I will have to work on.

First, I can't see the page turn button and need something I can feel on there. Secondly, when I put a second bookmark in the same book it only remembered the first one.

Yay! A challenge! It was starting to seem to easy after I had been psyched up to 'fix' something.

message 50: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 3289 comments :-)

Great, now I know who to PM if I have tech issues. :-)

« previous 1