Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Question about identifying a weed

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I'm not sure what this is, but it sure sounds like something a kid would love. We have a vine here that sounds similar--as kids we called it cucumber vine, I'm not sure why--it has prickly lemon shaped bulbs about the size of golf balls and sometimes can cover an entire tree. I'll ask my daughter who is studying landscaping if she knows what your weed is.

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam It sounds like a puffball mushroom to me. Are you sure it grew on a plant? Or was it just sitting on the ground, which is where you will find puffballs. The dust is spores.

message 3: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Hey Mariam--you're right, it does sound like a puffball.

Petra is off to Miami - book & art fairs & dates! (petra-x) Puffball mushrooms are bigger than that, also the inside (at least at the edible stage) is white, just like a button mushroom. You can slice and fry them, they taste much like other mushrooms.

message 5: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Petra X wrote: "Puffball mushrooms are bigger than that, also the inside (at least at the edible stage) is white, just like a button mushroom. You can slice and fry them, they taste much like other mushrooms."

Wow! Interesting, our parents told us they were poisonous and to leave them alone. Of course we stamped on them anyway to watch the dust fly. Never tasted one though.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Yeah, I was told to leave them alone because they were poisonous too. Ours in Tennessee, Iowa, and Illinois were golfball size.

Petra is off to Miami - book & art fairs & dates! (petra-x) Probably its a completely different variety of puffball that grows in the US from Wales then. Puffballs to us were always a wild treat when we found them.
http://www.mssf.org/cookbook/puffball...

Petra is off to Miami - book & art fairs & dates! (petra-x) Overwhelmingly mushroomy, but that's because there is so much of them. Sometimes we used to make mushroom-pizzas - a slice of mushroom with pizza sauce and lots of cheese, and that was very nice.

I've never seen a huge one, they mostly about the size of acorn squashes, but they might have got bigger if we hadn't picked them!

message 9: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Well... I know the Polish are regarded less than highly in the USA. They do know something about mushrooms. I do know that my group is not racist so that it cool. Jor the fungus front maybe the East European front is the way to go.................?????

message 10: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jan 23, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Harvey, I'm not sure where you get that from, my husband's family (and part of my own) is Polish (from Poland as well as US born) and they've never said anything to that affect.

Harvey wrote: "Well... I know the Polish are regarded less than highly in the USA."

****Just something for everyone to keep in mind: I would prefer no one makes blanket statements like this as in online groups we are made up of many different people from all over the world and I do not want anyone to be offended by a statement that's more a matter of personal opinion than of fact. Anyone who does so after this warning will be removed from this group. Thanks for understanding. (This statement isn't open for debate or further comments, thank you).****

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Kelly Jo wrote: "Good Morning my garden friends. I recently had an arguement with a friend about a weed I was familiar with in childhood and she said it was my imagination. So...I'm going to ask the experts about i..."

Kelly Jo, have you tried Googling to see if anything comes up? Could it maybe be dandelion weed?

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Jo, have you read Rising '44: The Battle for Warsaw? It shows the great fortitude and strength of the Polish people fighting for their rights and country in Warsaw. Very moving.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I haven't but I believe my husband has it! I'll have to take a look through his books. Thanks for the recommend!

message 14: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Jo wrote: "Harvey, I'm not sure where you get that from, my husband's family (and part of my own) is Polish (from Poland as well as US born) and they've never said anything to that affect.

Harvey wrote: "We..."

I apologise for any offence caused. That was not my intention at all. I too have Polish blood.. and my son is more Polish than me. A Polish/American friend once showed me a cup from the US.... more of a micky take really.

Aplogies to all.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) LOL! I hadn't thought of that :-) How about "common weeds of lower Michigan" or seeing if there's a local agriculture extension or master gardener's site with the info.

Petra is off to Miami - book & art fairs & dates! (petra-x) LOL That is funny.

Cows come into my garden to graze and sometimes a month later I will get a crop of magic mushrooms growing from their patties. They are legal here, but not my poison.

message 18: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Sometimes I wish Google had a NOT: section to weed out (no pun intended) the extraneous links! It would really help when doing a search. I have found the Bling search engine that came on my computer software a better source- it seems more discriminatory (in a good way).

message 19: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Yes.... You can imagine how it is in the Gulf! Sometimes their net nanny firewall gets things wrong too. To be able to narrow one's search would make life easier, especially when some words have double entendres!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Kelly Jo, I googled it just for kicks; I didn't click on anything either, LOL!!

Petra is off to Miami - book & art fairs & dates! (petra-x) Miriam wrote: "Sometimes I wish Google had a NOT: section to weed out (no pun intended) the extraneous links! It would really help when doing a search. I have found the Bling search engine that came on my compute..."

If you go to advanced Search next to the Google button, you can exclude words.

message 22: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Thanks Petra. That might really help.