Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > adding a different edition

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nihal (new)

Nihal (nihalr) | 3 comments I keep trying to add turkish editions of books but they are ending up as showing two different books. what am i doing wrong?

Latest was this original book : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...

and this turkish edition : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments After you add a book you need to combine the new edition with the existing editions, even if you used the "add a new edition" link -- it doesn't automatically combine the new with the existing editions.

message 3: by Nihal (new)

Nihal (nihalr) | 3 comments oh ok.. i applied for a librarian status but i guess not confirmed yet as i cannot combine/edit them yet.

message 4: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 3366 comments Cait wrote: "After you add a book you need to combine the new edition with the existing editions, even if you used the "add a new edition" link -- it doesn't automatically combine the new with the existing editions"

Even though it would be only logical if it did so, actually: after all, we're "adding a new edition [of that work]"! I wonder if that can be fixed.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Uturuki, I've combined these for you.

Moloch, it's been requested, but apparently there's something technically tricky about it.

message 6: by Atanas (last edited Mar 13, 2011 01:11AM) (new)

Atanas Vasilev (nasko) | 12 comments Hey guys,

I have a quick question regarding addition of new editions - how do I proceed if the edition in my native language is split in two volumes, while the original has only one?

I wanted to add a new edition for this title: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73... which is #1 from The Century Trilogy, but in Bulgarian it's further split in two books.

If I added it as a single book I would have a hard time
figuring what values to enter for various metrics: number of pages, dimensions, etc.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I was not able to quickly find a thread regarding the matter.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Atanas, add each one separately since they are separate volumes. Indicate which one is Vol. 1, and which Vol. 2.

message 8: by Atanas (new)

Atanas Vasilev (nasko) | 12 comments Thanks, Lobstergirl! I did just that, however I'm somewhat confused that both books I added are in no way related to the original book.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26557 comments Atanas, they have to be separate because they have different content.

message 10: by Atanas (new)

Atanas Vasilev (nasko) | 12 comments Sandra, yes, I understand the reasoning, but still I'm confused. For example if someone comes upon one of the books I just created he won't find any reviews or comments, even though the original book has plenty, which they could benefit from.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26557 comments That's just the way it is. If they were really interested they'd find them.

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 140 comments I think a librarian note is in order here though. To not have htem combined again later, and to create a link between the books.

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Atanas, one thing which can be done is to create a "series" for the single book, where the original volume is the (unnumbered) primary work and the parts are numbered, nonprimary works. This will serve to connect the parts to each other and to the whole; the reviews will still not be shown together, but they will be only a few clicks away.