Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4) Breaking Dawn discussion

ENDING OF THE BOOK?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dani Can I mention something about the end of the book? What was up with that? She left the book wide open. Didnt even do a epilogue or nothing. What happens with Nessie and Jacob? Do the Voltuire come back? Do the Volturi change their mind about the situation? Dont get me wrong, I wasn't thrilled about this book either, However, I really do enjoy the series, and when it just ends....Then I am left to ponder these types of things. It just leaves, Bella, Edward, and Nessie happily ever after? What about Jacob? Does he live happily ever after? Can he live forever as long as he still is phasing? I wanted an epilogue, something like "100 years later" just to wrap things up, then give me the happily ever after. I am a little fustrated.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie personally, I'm glad she didn't write anything like that in. that was one of the things I hated about the ending to Harry Potter. it's just waaaay to corndog for me.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson This book was already drowning in happily-ever-after. No need to beat a dead horse.

message 4: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni I agree with Helkat14. The most sickening quality of this book is the lack of empathy.

Danae You know, I wasn't dissapointed by the ending of the book at all. I think she left it open, incase she may want to write another book some time later. I think she is leaving it open for the relationship of Renesmee and Jacob.

And I agree with Helkat14.

Sarah I was disappointed in the whole build up to a war with the volturi and then boom it gets resolved with logic. A cop out ending.
But I guess it leaves it open down the road for another book.

In fact I was extremely disappointed with the entire book. not nearly as good as the first 3.

message 7: by Dgunther (new)

Dgunther The open ending of the book didn't bother me so much as what seemed to be the editing.
I felt as though the book had high suspense towards the end, and ended, similarly to Harry Potter, open. Which is fine with me.
But comparing Meyers previous books in the saga, it seems she lost some attention to detail and other writing techniques of hers I enjoyed. The book would have been much better keeping detail and making maybe two books, rather than a watered down version of what could have been a greater story.

Sarah Here's how I would love for the book to have ended: There's a battle between teh Cullen clan and the Volturi. Perhaps Jacob rushes in to save Bella or Edward at the last moment and dies a hero (no silly imprinting on the baby). The Cullens win and become the new heads of the vampire world. Anything but the way it actually did would have redeemed the lackluster plot prior in the story. How would you all have ended it?

message 9: by Annemarie (last edited Aug 05, 2008 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annemarie i think their should have been a fight and that someone should have died, i mean come on it is the last book someone should have died. but for no one having died i thought taht is was a good book, and i thought the ending was ok for their not being a fight.

Merrin It bothered me, but I figured it was just a ploy to leave it open so she could write Jacob and Nessie's story.

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori That is a good point. She has said that this will be the last book from 'Bella's point of view'.

Marianne Orton I agree that she's keeping her options open for another book. I've heard her say in interviews that she'll probably keep writing about the Cullens, just not Edward and Bella- their story's done. I'm willing to bet she'll write a book about Jacob and Renesmee. I also agree about the battle. I really liked the book, but I think a cool battle would have made the book really awesome.

Hannah Yes I loved the book, I agree that she might write a book about Jacob and Nessie, and for all of you, you have to remember that SM wrote the book for herself, so it ended the way she would want, no war, just a happy ending.
(like i would want so i love the ending)

message 14: by Olli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olli i completely agree with Annemarie the ending was ok but i would have preferred if they had the fight...

i would looove a book about Jacob and Nessie...

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Okay, I'm not going to say what I think SM should have written. But here's what I thought WOULD happen.

Going along with Bella's nightmares, I thought that there was going to be a huge war with the Volturi. Most everyone would be broken to bits and in a pile ready to burn. Then, the remainder of the Volturi would come after Bella and Renesmee, who are the only remaining veg. vampires. She gets blindingly furious. (You don't mess with a mothers young) Kills them all out of this fury and then (I'm laughing as I write this) all the broken vampires pieces go back together again and everyone is good. (I'm still laughing)

message 16: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara Lori, you are hilarious. I think that would have been an excellent ending! ;)

message 17: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Thanks, I liked it.

Alysa Ok, I've been thinking a lot about the end. And, though a good fight would have been great to read, I feel like what happened was keeping in character for the Volturi. They rely on the fact that people think that they enforce and keep the rules. Its part of what gives them power. They couldn't find a way to keep up this illusion and still fight. Next, they couldn't find a way to use their greatest talents to win with Bella blocking them. They are truly cowards. They surround themselves with people who have power in order to keep their ruling position. They couldn't risk loosing Jane, Alec and Demetri and their illusion of being law keepers. I didn't think of this as being the end of the conflict, but the beginning. They will find a way to achieve their desires and it will probably be Nessie and Jacob fighting them all the way. I agree with those who said that it leaves it wide open for books from other points of view.

message 19: by Lori (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori I agree with Lys. The Volturi sure weren't expecting Bella were they? I also loved the fact that no one, including Bella, really knew what she was capable of. And if you remember in New Moon, the Volturi act in a court of law type of manner. That's how this conflict was handled as well. I also think that this is just the beginning of what is yet to come as far as they are concerned. SM even hints at it.