European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > We Two: Part 1

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Part One: The Years Apart (chapters 1 - 11) here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just gotten a late start on this one, but have to say that I am (so far) very impressed with the author's writing style for this non-fiction book. It's so easy to allow a non-fiction piece to degenerate into dry academia, but this one is engaging and delightful!

message 3: by Joann (new)

Joann | 10 comments I loved this book. Taken together with the movie "Young Victoria" it showed me a side of Queen Victoria I never knew about.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I may be the only one reading this, LOL, but that's okay....I'm loving it. Had no idea regarding Victoria's path to the throne and her relatives. It reads like a soap opera....wow.

message 5: by Joann (new)

Joann | 10 comments I know -- the beginning is a little bit like Mommie Dearest!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Joann wrote: "I know -- the beginning is a little bit like Mommie Dearest!"

LOL - I keep having to Google various people just to verify that they really were that twisted.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) This is on my TBR list but I'm opting not to read it with the group because I've read about 4 books about Victoria in the last year or so and I'm kind of victoria'd out. However I eagerly await your reviews!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Michele, you're not the only one but I did get a late start on it! Curious if it will win me over...Victoria is one that I've never read about before because I've always seen her as repressive and I like a wicked streak! ;)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "Michele, you're not the only one but I did get a late start on it! Curious if it will win me over...Victoria is one that I've never read about before because I've always seen her as repressive and ..."

Oh, so do I, Karen and that's probably why I know so little about Victoria. She may be morally upright, but holy cow, her (and Albert's) families had a pretty good wicked streak going, LOL. Wow.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments I have just finished part I of We Two, and I am really loving it! I agree with the author that learning about the "pre-married" life is really beneficial to understanding how their relationship worked. They both led such interesting childhoods, the things they had to put up with are incredible!

I especially loved the part when William IV publicly criticized Victoire at his birthday dinner! I had seen that scene in the movie the Young Victoria and assumed it was exaggerated for drama but it really wasn't!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I just saw "Young Victoria" last night and absolutely loved the film....I'm also amazed how much jibes with this book.