SQPN discussion

Difficult Book To Read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 4 comments Although I agree with you Taquoriaan some books are not worth reading all of it. Others might not be a pleasurable read but in the end might be worth reading.

Nietzsche is an example. Never enjoyed his work, but felt I needed to understand what was so important.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

When I worked in the library I was struck by how many patrons would come in and say they were reading a book they did not like but felt compelled to stay with it. I on the other hand can tell pretty quick if I like a book or not. Once I know the book does not fly with me, I put it down and move on to something else. There are too many books and too little time!!

message 3: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 11 comments Mod
I've flip-flopped on this over time. Sometimes, I will put down a book because it's a chore to read. Other times, I will plow through it because I don't want to "quit", especially when people I respect have liked it.

I guess it depends on my mood and the book itself.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

From my time in the library a lot of these books people did not like but felt like they "had" to stick with it were the Oprah book club ones.

message 5: by Carlos (last edited Jan 26, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

Carlos Torres (catcubano) | 11 comments Mod
Clearly we shouldn't mess with Oprah. ;)

message 6: by Roderick (new)

Roderick Vonhögen (fatherroderick) I have had to plow through lots of books I didn't like during my high school and university years. Today, I just read what I really like - if the writer can't capture my attention or imagination, I'm not torturing myself by reading the rest. I have the same attitude towards podcasts and movies. There are many more books and movies waiting in line, so I don't want to waste time on those that aren't worth it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Father I agree with you. I had to read enough stuff in High School that I could not stand. College I actually liked (but there were a few more years between my high school and college years so maybe maturity?).
I have so many books on my bookshelf and more books coming out that I would like to read. I remember talking to one of my patrons at the library who was whining and moaning about this books she hated "but well I am halfway thru it yadda yadda yadda". She was appalled when I told her that if I get into a book and by the first 10-20 pages or first chapter it doesn't hold my attention, I will flip to the middle and end. If it still doesn't hold I toss it aside. Simple as that. This woman paled and said oh no I couldn't do that.
I just don't get it? If its not required reading why torture yourself????

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (snoringscholar) For me, it depends. Sometimes I can come back to something at a different time and be able to get through it. As I read an increasing number of poorly edited books and things that are just plain badly written, I am getting better at walking away and putting them down.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick Senger (nsenger) | 3 comments I teach my 8th graders that when it comes to reading on their own, it is always ok to abandon a book, and they should not feel guilty about it.

Daniel Pennac wrote a tribute to reading called Better Than Life in which he lists the Reader's Bill of Rights:

1. The right not to read something.
2. The right to skip pages.
3. The right not to finish.
4. The right to reread.
5. The right to read anything.
6. The right to escapism.
7. The right to read anywhere.
8. The right to browse.
9. The right to read out loud.
10. The right to not defend your tastes.

Nancie Atwell, a middle school reading teacher, always discusses this list with her students and they have modified the third right as follows: "The right not to finish, or to read just the ending."

I hate it when my 6th grade daughter jumps to the last page of her book, but I respect her right to do so.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jgazmom) | 1 comments I have so many books lying around that I haven't finished yet. So I don't feel mind or feel bad if I stop reading something I don't enjoy; there are many others to take its place!

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Nelson (ontheu) | 2 comments I have become more discriminating in my reading choices of late. If the style of writing annoys me (e.g. Dan Brown) or if the story doesn't intrigue me from the start, then it's likely that I won't finish it.

Although, if a book is part of a series, I'm likely to gut my way through so I can move on to the hopefully better next book.

message 12: by Fr. Kyle (new)

Fr. Kyle (colonel4god) | 4 comments I think we're also talking about different types of reads. It might good to read some of Luther's works even though I know I won't like it, but there's not reason I can't stop reading Catch 22 because I just downright hate it.

Novels are one thing. Theology, philosophy, or even history is helped when getting a different opinion, even if your diametrically opposed to its conclusions. Many times it can allow you to grow in your own convictions.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kcmastel) | 2 comments If the book doesn't grab my attention, I don't read it!